Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2022, 02:18 AM   #1

Camper Upgrade ?

My husband and I own a 2014 Wildwood DBUD and love it, but are looking to upgrade to a 2016 year model camper. The one we’re looking at has bunks as well. I feel that the bunks are wasted space now because my kids are grown but not married and my oldest has a camper of his own. We thought about getting one that has the living area and does not have the bunks, but my friends say that one day we will have grandchildren and they’ll want to camp with us. I’m worried if we give up the bunks that one day we will regret it. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
plh869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:14 AM   #2

I would get what works for you now. Of all the campers (all classes) i never like the look w/bunks. For me camping is something that, when u go it's like letting your hair down, picking up your feet an relaxing. Enjoy life today, if something changes down the road, well there are other options.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:15 AM   #3
Site Team

We bought a trailer capable of sleeping 8. In 10 years of owning it, we never had more than 2 people joining us. And that probably a total of 5 times.
We now have a true couples TT that only sleeps the two of us.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:47 AM   #4

We thought of a bunk room as well for the grandkids when looking for our new 5’er. But then we asked ourselves “who are we buying it for and how often will they go?” We didn’t get a bunk room. The couch folds out into a queen and we can always take a tent.
USAF Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:08 AM   #5

When we were shopping (for bunk models) we were asked by every salesperson how old our kids were. They were all told the same thing...No kids and the bunks will never have anyone sleep in them; we will use them for storage.

We purchased totes that will double stack and labeled them with the contents...food, dog, entertainment, linens, cleaning supplies, etc. The top bunk gets used for motorcycle, kayak and fishing gear.

For us, camping is not about how the layout looks inside...it needs to be functional...we don't want to hang out in the camper...its a place to eat and sleep. Camping is about the location and bringing all the things we want to do at the location.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:16 AM   #6

Most 'living areas' are capable of sleeping a couple of grandkids should the need arise. When we look at units we might upgrade to, a bunk area is viewed as additional storage.
Our daughter's family usually shows up on our summer vacations, but they have taken to renting cabins instead of staying in with us.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:37 AM   #7

Trailer configuration

The configuration is solely for the convenience and comfort of my wife and myself. If the kids or grandkids want to come along, great. The dinette or the jack-knife sofa will do for them. We do enjoy the RLXL design for our comfort and convenience. As to bunks, there are better ways to use the space.

Bob, K4TAX
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:12 PM   #8

Ive never owned a bunkhouse because i never had kids. Looking at bunkhouse units now to use the bunk room as a walk in closet for my wife as we are getting close to retiring and want to take longer trips.

To each his own. Dont need a bunk room for a few guest now and again. A fold down dinette or pull out couch takes care of that.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:51 PM   #9

You should probably get the one that works best for you now. It sounds like you need more living space and that's what you should get. Bunkhouse units work well for families with children old enough to use them, but buying a rig for a possible future need makes no sense to me.

Tags
camper, upgrade