Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #1

Chomping at the bit

Obviously it is way too early......have to admit though that I am already thinking about camping. What's the earliest that you de-winterized your trailer? For reference I live in CT. April too early?
Bruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

I'll de-winterize next month and probably get a camping trip in. I've done this for the past several years even though we can still have a night or two get below freezing here in Oklahoma. It usually only dips below freezing for just a few hours and I haven't had a problem yet.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

March! and our first trip is in April.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #4

I know the feeling - aching to get back to our Trailer - but our seasonal site won't be open till late april. Feels like it is ages away.......
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #5

Add us to the list. We've been discussing it for a couple of months now. Already booked several trips for this year. It's supposed to warm up to around 60 this coming week and we've toyed with the idea of de-winterizing the Roo, camping locally, and then re-winterizing when necessary. Are we completely nuts? Cabin fever for sure!

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #6

In 2 weeks we are going on a weekend trip with a bunch of friends. We camped two weekends ago. We don't winterize, thank goodness. I am so glad we don't live in CT any longer. When we lived in CT we always had boats. The cabin cruiser would stay in the water year round. I remember a many of nights staying on the boat with my dad throwing sawdust on the ice so it would get sucked into the seams and slow the leaking down due to the ice... sure don't miss it! Hope you get the wheels turning soon!
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50
I'll de-winterize next month and probably get a camping trip in. I've done this for the past several years even though we can still have a night or two get below freezing here in Oklahoma. It usually only dips below freezing for just a few hours and I haven't had a problem yet.
What part of Oklahoma are you in?
North or south?
We're around Tulsa and are wanting to get out soon but this is our first season with a camper and are leaning towards waiting.
There are campgrounds around here that are open but not too many.
I guess my thinking is that if most cg's wait to de-winterize it is probably due to experience.
Am I being too cautious as a newbie?

Okie - Flagstaff 27bhss
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
Obviously it is way too early......have to admit though that I am already thinking about camping. What's the earliest that you de-winterized your trailer? For reference I live in CT. April too early?
That all depends on where you live. I never de-winterize until 1st half of May. (Minnesota)
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #9

Next week, we are headed to Texas to see the wildflowers. It has been along winter.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie View Post
What part of Oklahoma are you in?
North or south?
We're around Tulsa and are wanting to get out soon but this is our first season with a camper and are leaning towards waiting.
There are campgrounds around here that are open but not too many.
I guess my thinking is that if most cg's wait to de-winterize it is probably due to experience.
Am I being too cautious as a newbie?

Okie - Flagstaff 27bhss
I'm from Eufaula. Campgrounds all over the lake nearby. Some close during winter, but a lot of 'em stay open. I usually take my first trip the first or second week in March. I've never had any problems, but kept an eye on the weather just in case.

This year if things work out, I'm looking at going out on the 23rd (a Wednesday) and staying through the weekend. I'll de-winterize and sanitize the weekend before. I'll probably be by myself the first couple of days then my wife will join me for the weekend and possibly a couple of grand daughters.

I want to try and catch the crappie when they're spawning. I'll be at Lake Eufaula State Park. We have a pontoon boat there and they allow the boat owners to fish around the slips. There are 2 camping areas. 1 by the marina that's E&W and the other is about 2 or 3 miles away that's FHU's. I'm not sure which campground I'll use on this trip.

Might as well come on down and join me.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #11

We usually end up winterizing 2 or 3 times. I'm not waiting until it's done freezing to use it. It's pretty easy though, it only takes a couple bucks in antifreeze and 5 minutes of your time.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyecmpr View Post
Add us to the list. We've been discussing it for a couple of months now. Already booked several trips for this year. It's supposed to warm up to around 60 this coming week and we've toyed with the idea of de-winterizing the Roo, camping locally, and then re-winterizing when necessary. Are we completely nuts? Cabin fever for sure!
Since you are a (Buckeye) are you comming to the (Tadpole) rally? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, we are headed for Arkansas the last half of March and will have to RE-WINTERIZE to come home!!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #14

I was just talking with my sis about wanting to camp! We'll probably wait till the end of March before dewinterizing and hope to do a shake down trip soon afterwards. We have the arctic heater system so could survive below freezing temps if it doesn't get too cold.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
We usually end up winterizing 2 or 3 times. I'm not waiting until it's done freezing to use it. It's pretty easy though, it only takes a couple bucks in antifreeze and 5 minutes of your time.
Why not blow it out with air and save money on anti freeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Yes, we are headed for Arkansas the last half of March and will have to RE-WINTERIZE to come home!!
I seen you from Minnesota. I'm from South Dakota. These forum is kind of a downer when everyone else is camping all year along. O well I just need to camp more when I got a chance

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
Infractee

Have been out two weekends out of the last 5 for a total of 4 nights, going out next weekend for a 5 night trip during spring break, cant wait! We love the mild Texas winters!
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote