Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

Cold weather camping

We have a Heritage Glen Lite, 282rk. It has the enclosed underbelly with the floor ducts. We plan on doing some winter camping this year. What temperature is it good down to? Can anyone tell me how cold is too cold, so I can avoid damaging the camper
PCWestlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCWestlake View Post
We have a Heritage Glen Lite, 282rk. It has the enclosed underbelly with the floor ducts. We plan on doing some winter camping this year. What temperature is it good down to? Can anyone tell me how cold is too cold, so I can avoid damaging the camper
Call Forest River with your Vin#...

They can tell you exactly what your specific TT has.

Most likely, you'll have to get a bunch of accessories to handle the winter months...

Like a heated water hose, heat tape for anything outside, and other stuff.

If you have a 5'ver, then you might be able to assist the undercarriage with an electric space heater or a regular flood light to help generate heat under there.

And don't forget...you have to run the RV's LP furnace to get any heat down there.

That is how your trailer has a 'heated underbelly'.

And keep a very close eye on your outside shower!

I thought I had mine all protected from the cold last winter in Denver...NOT!

It froze up and split open.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #3

Thank you for the advice. I’ll give them a call!
PCWestlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #4

Hi, as mentioned the "heated underbelly" is basically a piece of cardboard and a thin piece of foil like insulation. If you pull one of the bolts and stick you head under there you will see it's not exactly insulation, more like wishful thinking. If you keep your trailer warm it will help but you will run through some propane.

In my opinion our units are nowhere near the level needed for below freezing camping. Yeah you could use side curtains and a bunch of other measures but what a pain. My strategy is move the trailer south
iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

Our niece is "full-timing" in her Wildwood in coastal North Carolina on an armed forces base.

She purchased a fan-forced quartz infrared heater, heated water hose and some ridged foam cut to size to "insulate" under the trailer. She put the foam together using Gorilla Tape and a knife to trim it to fit. (This comes down when the weather warms up).

She also purchased a heavy-duty work light that she hangs underneath the bathroom/kitchen area to promote a little warming. She unplugs it when the temps get above freezing and stays there.

The heater runs inside throughout the evening/night to assist the furnace and fireplace in keeping the temps warm and cozy inside. It is also on a separate circuit, on a heavy duty extension cord (to keep from overheating).

She also purchased a large trash can that she turns upside down over the top of her water spigot to slow down the freezing point. With the heated hose, it never froze last year, even with temps down into the 20s overnight.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping