Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Bea

Electrical problems

I used mg hair dryer in the camper this weekend and it cut out. Now there are multiple outlets that do not work...help me please! No breakers are tripped. Could it be a fuse?
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Site Team

there should be one outlet with a GFI, usually in the bathroom. when it trips, all the outlets are non-functioning.
reset it and the others should work again.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
I used mg hair dryer in the camper this weekend and it cut out. Now there are multiple outlets that do not work...help me please! No breakers are tripped. Could it be a fuse?
The outlets have GFCI protection. If one tripped, it will take out all downstream outlets. Look for your GFCI outlets and press the reset button.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Bea

I did the one located in the bathroom and that hasn't fixed the problem. Could there be more than one if those switches that I am missing?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Perhaps the kitchen.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you were using the receptacle in the bathroom, then that is the GFI that would have tripped. I had a bad GFI that would not reset when I got my trailer.

Another idea, is that sometimes you can't tell if a breaker is tripped. Cut all of them off, and the firmly cut them back on.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Bea

I wasn't using that outlet. I was using one in the bunkhouse room when this happened.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
I wasn't using that outlet. I was using one in the bunkhouse room when this happened.
Does the bathroom receptacle work after resetting that ?? On my trailer, there is only 1 GFI with the bathroom, kitchen, and outside receptacles on that circuit. Of course, there could be another GFI somewhere. I think I would try the breakers in the power center by resetting all of those.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #9

I suspect one of 3 things.

1 - a bad GFI seems reset but no power leaving.

2 - loose connection (or burn't off wire) inside the breaker panel

3 - a loose connection (or burn't off wire) behind one of the receptacles

If you are comfortable with doing this - I would disconnect all power from the trailer including batteries and start opening and inspecting every thing for tightness - including behind outlets that work as it mat be the last working point in the trailer. Ie power going into recetacle ok but wire leaving to feed powwer to next outlet burn't off.

Loose connections are not uncommon in trailers. Vibration, load changes, temperature changes - and sometimes hurried installation all equal potential problems
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #10

We have 3 GFI's and for some reason if the one in the bathroom trips it takes out the one located in my outside comparments. I have to reset the outside one first, then the bathroom one. Our Coachmen had one hidden in a cabinet and it took me half a day to find it.

Just because you checked the one you were using doesn't mean there isn't another one in line some where. look the camper over good for another one.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #11

you could also go get one of the outlet testers that you plug into the outlet to verify it has voltage to narrow down which outlet has the issue - Home Depot sells them pretty cheeap - it also has a black button in the center so you can test GFI outlets as well
If you are savy with a multimeter you could use that as well but if you are not careful you could cross the leggs while checking the outlet and get a nice blue surprise
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #12

Does the AC and microwave work. If they are out too, then check the main breaker in the campground pedistal box. Maybe that got tripped somehow due to age, or some other reason. All your lights in the TT are 12 Volt so, if the breaker outside is tripped, you're NOT recharging your coach batterie(s) either.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5
Does the AC and microwave work. If they are out too, then check the main breaker in the campground pedistal box. Maybe that got tripped somehow due to age, or some other reason. All your lights in the TT are 12 Volt so, if the breaker outside is tripped, you're NOT recharging your coach batterie(s) either.
The A/C and appliances work. Other outlets also work. Just a few don't.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #14

Definatly sounds like something related to the circuit you were on at the time. Does your bunkhouse have a bathroom or were you plugged into the regular plug that the kids would plug their "toys" into? If you were in the bathroom, it's probably a GFCI circuit and you may have a tripped GFI outlet somewhere. Find the outlet(s) with the buttons and test & reset them. Recheck the breakers in your power panel. As someone mentioned earlier, thay may not look tripped so turn them all off then on firmly. Hope one of these suggestions works. keep us all informed.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:14 AM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I'm not sure how your unit is wired but check your outdoor receptacles and if there's any in a storage area as well. They may contain the GFIC receptacle that protects those other outlets.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
Bea

Thanks for all of yall responses. We disconnected the camper and turned all of the breakers off. Then turned everything back on and now all is well! Whew! Thanks again, yall are great!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Okay y'all... we have ONE GFCI outlet in the bathroom. If we do not use our camper on a regular bases... when we DO... the GFCI breaker will trip with just a fan plugged in and turned on. Sometimes we have to reset it several time before it finally stays engaged. Guess it gets corrosion on the wires or contact points.

We think we may have a bad GFCI outlet in our RV bathroom... have had GFCI outlets go bad in our house too, and simply replaced them with a new outlet.

Okay so here is My question... if the GFCI outlet in out RV camper goes out and is bad ...can we go to our local hardware store/ HD and buy another GFCI outlet and replace the one in the camper? Or is the GFCI outlet in my camper different and need to be purchased from a RV store?

Thoughts? Comments? Warnings?

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Okay y'all... we have ONE GFCI outlet in the bathroom. If we do not use our camper on a regular bases... when we DO... the GFCI breaker will trip with just a fan plugged in and turned on. Sometimes we have to reset it several time before it finally stays engaged. Guess it gets corrosion on the wires or contact points.

We think we may have a bad GFCI outlet in our RV bathroom... have had GFCI outlets go bad in our house too, and simply replaced them with a new outlet.

Okay so here is My question... if the GFCI outlet in out RV camper goes out and is bad ...can we go to our local hardware store/ HD and buy another GFCI outlet and replace the one in the camper? Or is the GFCI outlet in my camper different and need to be purchased from a RV store?

Since it's a 110v circuit, I don't see any difference from a regular household recepticle. So, HD should be your next stop.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #19

The GFCI from your local hardware store will work. I had the same problem with mine. Replaced it with one from Home Depot and it works fine. I did go with an outdoor outlet since it is in the restroom. May not be necessary though since they are sealed for the most part.
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Paula and Ken,

Remember that a GFCI outlet compares the return current on the neutral (white) wire to the supplied current on the hot (black) wire in order to determine if you have a high resistance short (you in the circuit) or a high resistance loss (loose wire) that could cause a fire due to heat burning up the wires. For comparison, a Circuit breaker protects you from LOW resistance current loss (dead short or high current draw).

The GFCI outlet by Code is the first outlet that requires protection (like by a sink) and by it's nature ALL outlets downstream from the GFCI also receive that protection. Replacing a GFCI outlet with a NON-GFCI outlet is not only a violation of the electrical code; it is down right unsafe.

As to why a GFCI will trip under load has to do with that comparison we were talking about. If there is a high resistance connection at that outlet or any outlet downstream, the GFCI will trip off line.

So, with the circuit's power breaker turned off, check:

1) all connections behind the wall plate for looseness and corrosion. This is harder to do than you might think since they are "push in" connections and you might have a bad one. Wiggle each wire and see if it moves in the hole. If it does it needs to be replaced. (If this is the GFCI, it must be replaced with a GFCI)

2) If all is tight and bright, make sure you found them all. If there are two shielded cables going into the outlet box, there is another outlet somewhere down the line. Keep looking till you find it. I had no idea I had two GFCI protected outlets on either side of the master bedroom bed because they were covered by the mattress.

3) You can not plug a GFCI protected circuit into a GFCI protected source (like some generators) because they do not play well together.