Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

EZ Lube

Hi -- has anyone successfully used the EZ Lube method on travel trailer wheel bearings? I understand that you pump the grease in until you pump the old grease out. I have read negatives that say you can blow the seals and makes it's way to the brakes etc. Others have said it is the easy way to repack bearings. Then, I've read where it is best to repack the old fashioned way? Any ideas on the best way? Thanks, John
1938jmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Since you said 'Best Way'. The 'best' way is to remove the bearings and hand pack them and then put them back. That allows you to see if the seals are good and to inspect the other parts of the system. It also gives you a chance to inspect the bearings themselves to make sure they're not worn or beginning to wear.

Having said that, there are people who claim to have good luck using the EZ-Lube system and I don't doubt that. I would recommend removing and hand packing them the first time and then you could use the EZ-Lube for a couple of years.

Others will no doubt chime in.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #3

I have for many years and have had NO problems. After doing it for the first three years, I did pull the brake assemblies off to switch to auto-adjust brakes, and there had never been any leakage past the seals.

I'm guessing a lot of the leakage past the seals were caused by not following the procedure and/or having incorrectly installed the seal or using the incorrect seal. That is just my opinion.

Just make sure to spin the wheel while pumping AND DO NOT use an air pressure grease gun; use a hand pump, pump slowly while spinning.

There are some who say this does not work, some who say it does work, but I'm guessing there are more who use the EX lube or the AL-KO equivalent system than don't do it.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #4

Just talked to my service manager about this the other day. He said just 4 or 5 pumps to refresh or replenish the grease. He gave me the impression this is something you do between re-packs. He even said if I was going cross-country to maybe put in a couple squirts mid-way through the trip. Like someone said pull inspect re-pack every 2-3 years, EZ lube in between.

I will have to do more research...
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #5

Lippert's procedure...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4374.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	136923
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote