Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

Smile First time owner - trigger released

Okay, after much figuring and some haggling, we've finally placed a deposit on a 2018 Wildwood X-Lite 230BHXL, from RVWholesalers. Jay (our sales rep) has been great, and even managed to get us an additional discount off of the already low OTD price (in order to beat a slightly higher, but much closer, dealer with the same unit). This will be a factory build, and we have a deadline of 6 weeks before our next trip, so we have a conditional clause that the TT will be ready to pickup by our deadline, or else we get our deposit back. Jay sounds very hopeful that they'll get it done in closer to 5 weeks.

We're pretty excited - this will be our first new TT (we've had several used ones, all but one of which included significant quality/lack-of-maintence issues), and in fact our first new "vehicle" purchase. Also our first time financing anything (although I'm hoping to get a short-term loan that we can pay off within a year at the most) - we actually could *probably* scrape together the cash to pay it all up front, but we'd lose the $2500 of incentives that Jay got us, and this will leave more room in our budget for camping right off the bat.

Even better - our first camping trip happens to be only an hour from RVW's location (totally didn't realize that till I started mapping out our pickup trip). So, if they make the date in the contract clause (August 9), we'll be able to pickup the trailer, take it straight to our campsite, and then potentially (if we find any last minute issues) stop by RVW on the way home (same weekend). Our first "big trip" with the camper is scheduled to start on August 18 - we'll be gone for 5 weeks.

Thanks to all who've offered advice - can't wait to join the club.
kleinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Congrats and best of luck.
Even more luck to get a factory build in 4-5 weeks.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Congrats and best of luck.
Even more luck to get a factory build in 4-5 weeks.
Thanks. :P We'll see I suppose - Jay talked to a factory rep before we made the deal and he said they would put us at the front of the line - he's the one who gave us the estimate. We should have an offline date by the end of the week.

[EDIT: My date math was off - the deadline is 6 weeks, and the factory thinks they can have it done in 5]
Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

Congrats and enjoy your TT.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #5

Remain optimistic and enjoy your new rig...but don't be too surprised if things don't work out exactly as planned.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #6

Congrats and I hope everything works out for you. We are in our 9th week of our order and have yet to get our offline date. We were told it would be "all of 10 weeks or more".
dhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #7

RVW just called - apparently the factory was just wrapping up a run of the 230BHXL, and they have one that matches our options (with a couple things that were on our nice-to-have list that we hadn't actually chosen in our build). So, for a little less than $300 extra, we're getting ducted A/C and a oven - and it'll be ready for pick up after July 17th (2 weeks from our order).

Only trouble is... we'll be out of town visiting family for two weeks started the 17th! . So we'll have to wait a bit longer to actually get the unit. Super excited nonetheless! 😀
Old 07-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhop View Post
Congrats and I hope everything works out for you. We are in our 9th week of our order and have yet to get our offline date. We were told it would be "all of 10 weeks or more".
Wow, that's a long wait - is this a Wildwood unit? Are you able to have someone talk to the factory for you?
Old 07-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinz View Post
Wow, that's a long wait - is this a Wildwood unit? Are you able to have someone talk to the factory for you?

We're getting the X Lite 171RB. They did talk with the factory on the day we ordered to confirm a couple options were still available in the package we wanted. I don't know if a timeframe was discussed. They told us their expectation of the time based on their previous experience with ordering and we understood that when we agreed to the purchase. I'm a little surprised we haven't received the "off line date", but I guess we wait.
dhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #10

We have the 2016 230BHXL. It is our first. Since getting it new, we've looked at a lot of floor plans of other units and have yet to find anything we like better. Congratulations.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #11

Congratulations from Texas on your new camper! Enjoy!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinz View Post
RVW just called - apparently the factory was just wrapping up a run of the 230BHXL, and they have one that matches our options (with a couple things that were on our nice-to-have list that we hadn't actually chosen in our build). So, for a little less than $300 extra, we're getting ducted A/C and a oven - and it'll be ready for pick up after July 17th (2 weeks from our order).

Only trouble is... we'll be out of town visiting family for two weeks started the 17th! . So we'll have to wait a bit longer to actually get the unit. Super excited nonetheless! 😀
You'll be thankful for getting the ducted A/C. Without it the A/C is very noisy and cooling is not uniform.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
You'll be thankful for getting the ducted A/C. Without it the A/C is very noisy and cooling is not uniform.
10-4 on the ducted AC. Our unit has 2 ACs. So nice to run the one at the other end of the unit to keep noise down, and duct that cool air to the end we happen to be at.

Quote:
Also our first time financing anything (although I'm hoping to get a short-term loan that we can pay off within a year at the most) - we actually could *probably* scrape together the cash to pay it all up front
You "might" want to carry a little debt, depending on your situation. Seems crazy, but your credit score can drop if you have no debt.

And congratulations on the new rig.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time