Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #1

First timer to RV

We just bought our first Forest River Wildwood 178BHSKX 2021, we love the floor plan. Spent the first 3 nights in it learning and discovering that the Workmanship from the factory is very Poor. I won't go into details just yet.
But would like to know if this is common for forest River.
We are looking forward to spending time and traveling in our new unit.
Looking forward to response from your Forum.
Thanks for the opportunity to share our input with you all.
Richard & Claudia
ehrlich4620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Welcome Richard &Claudia to the forum from New Jersey, As for the build quality ? Mass production!
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #3

You need to be a bit more specific about 'workmanship from the factory is very poor'. All rvs engineers have to balance weight versus durability. Most rvs are just an assembly of parts produced by other manufacturers. So wood screws and glue are part of our tool kit.
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum!
Old 11-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrlich4620 View Post
Spent the first 3 nights in it learning and discovering that the Workmanship from the factory is very Poor. I won't go into details just yet.
This is common to the whole RV Industry.
I take it that you haven't done much reading about the lack of quality in the RV Industry, especially since Covid hit and the factories can't keep up with the demand.
There are literally thousands of threads about this, here and on other RV forums.
Doesn't matter the manufacturer or the price point. Even Airstream and million dollar motorhomes are experiencing poor quality issues.
Were these issues found during the PDI/walkthrough?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #5

I had no idea when we walked thru the unit the first time, I was more interested in getting the weight dis hitch hooked up. After I got it home and found hoses kinked, sharp edges on slide out that got my leg when I sat down at camp site.
I found a Bent steel frame at the front after I got home and went under it check things,

Ok since we are all in the pandemic it is ok for the factories to not check their quality of their products.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
After I got it home and found hoses kinked, sharp edges on slide out that got my leg when I sat down at camp site.
I found a Bent steel frame at the front after I got home and went under it check things,
No. It's not ok. I'd be most concerned about a bent steel frame. You probably should take it back to the dealer to check out that bent frame, and get the sharp edges ground down. Hoses kinked aren't good, but those should be easy to unkink or get replaced.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #7

I just recently learned that the overwhelming majority of "installers" in the RV industry are paid by "piece work" not by the hour.

Any more questions -
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #8

Build Quality

Welcome!
The reason build quality is so poor is that it is law in Indiana that RVs can only be built on Fridays or Mondays(:>) I mean what else could poor workman ship be blamed on, Right? Maybe Toyota will start building RVs down in the southern states. And God help all of them if the Aussie's started building stuff here. Does any body know why NASCAR had to let TOYOTA in? They have more American built parts on them than Ford or Chevrolet. Is that sad or what(:>)
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
jkoenig24

Sadly, this is a VERY common problem across MOST of the RV builders (boutique builders usually do a MUCH better job of Quality Control). Buyers, especially "newbies" simply "don't know what the don't know" and expect the quality they get when they buy a car. The factory expects that the selling dealer will do a proper and thorough PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). Many (most?) RV dealers do NOT do this. On an expensive RV, the buyer would be wise to hire a PROFESSIONAL RV Inspector. Yes, this will cost hundreds of dollars BUT, you're FAR more likely to end up with a problem free RV that will get the new owner off to a good start.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
We just bought our first Forest River Wildwood 178BHSKX 2021, we love the floor plan. Spent the first 3 nights in it learning and discovering that the Workmanship from the factory is very Poor. I won't go into details just yet.
Richard & Claudia
Welcome to the forum...Quality control from Forest River is " sketchy " at best..whether you went expensive or cheap, large or small. I like to think if your trailer was assembled tuesday to thursday...most of the equipment will work...monday or friday not so good. Now that you own it examin the systems carefully..read all you can on your model its opperation and parts availability. START A SEQUENCE OF OPPERATION LOGBOOK ! Prepping for trip : tire pressure & spare...Fresh tank sanitized and full, Grey n Black empty with " Pill in Black " Have you got the Campers Toilet Paper ? Battery charged,,,Lp tanks full...Tools for tire changing ect. Will you run your fridge on gas or electric.Water heater gas or electric ?...will fridge be stocked befor trip or on campground local ? Will everthing be secured inside before travel and windows n vents closed. Will you stop at ten or fifteen miles to check tire heat. Arriving at camp use your level to get the best position on pad site then block wheels , disconnect and level on longtitude. Secure leveling jacks firm befor putting slide out. Connect power if available. ect. Now you can put your steps down ! Most important is writing down sequence of opperation when breaking camp....you will have more " experiednced input " for STARTING THE NEXT TRIP ! Good Camping to you and the members have a big cross section of experience to offer !.....juice5
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #11

We always cary a staple gun and liquid nails or glue to put on trim that comes loose.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #12

Congratulations on the new Wildwood and welcome. If it is any consolation, we were complete newbees with no experience at all when we bought our Wildwood 5 years ago and have experienced very few and minor issues. I found out about this forum from paperwork the dealer gave us so pryor to buying we had no idea of what to ask or a master list of things to check or look for. A dealer we felt comfortable with was a big help. Hope you have as good of luck with yours as we've had.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #13

I was disappointed in workmanship too. Half of cabinet doors came apart plus more issues. It’s a challenge to get items repaired so did most repairs myself. Good luck with yours.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #14

Being this is your first rv .When buying your next one you will see things that you would want in it. Make a list then when going to buy make sure it got what you want in it
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #15
ARLO

Quote:
Richard & Claudia
Workmanship on our 829FKSS superlight is excellent.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:12 PM   #16

Working with Dealer

I have been working with Fun Town RV, They are looking into the problems with the unit. They feel that the Steel frame is the main problem.
I can deal with the other things.

Thank you Fun Town
Old 11-18-2020, 11:12 PM   #17

Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #18

Frame damage to new 2021 Wildwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You need to be a bit more specific about 'workmanship from the factory is very poor'. All rvs engineers have to balance weight versus durability. Most rvs are just an assembly of parts produced by other manufacturers. So wood screws and glue are part of our tool kit.
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum!
I have the front steel frame member bent in two places, I am waiting to hear from the Dealer to see what they will do about it. I have attached two photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame bent front cross beam view.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	243550   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame bent front cross beam.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	243551  
Old 11-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #19

Frame bent

Quote:
I have the front steel frame member bent in two places, I am waiting to hear from the Dealer to see what they will do about it. I have attached two photos
Frame bent on passenger side as well,

This being a new unit what should I expect from dealer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pass side 2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	243552   Click image for larger version

Name:	passanger side bent also.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	243553  
Old 11-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #20

Sorry to hear about your issues. Better days will be coming.
In looking at your pictures. That surface rust I see looks a bit premature. Our 2020 Surveyor was purchased in January and has a built date of last November. It is perfectly clean of any surface rust. Not sure if it means anything, but your frame definitely got wacked at some point.

Best if luck!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time