Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Kinder Member

Unhappy Forum Newbee

Hi everyone,

My name is Sirena and I have just joined the Forest River Forums. I welcome feedback based on your experienced situations, good or bad and once you read my long list of mishaps, I am sure that I will get some.

Believing in the Forest River products, I purchased a Wildwood X-Lite TT, Model 241QBXL in February 2015 and picked up the unit in April due to additional installation of equipment, such as a Reese Weight Distribution/Sway Control system RP66153, hydraulic lifts below bed board and other user-friendly gadgets. The dealer added a Friction Sway Control Bar which although an 'overkill' it adds more control to the possible swaying. My unit's dry weight is 4,135 lbs. with cargo allowance of 3300 lbs. and tongue weight of 499 lbs.

With that, I will tell you all that I have experienced so far:

#1 - I went on my first camping trip in September, 2 hours away from home....thank God! When I scooped down to place the wheel chocks, I saw a very unusual metal plate with a letter and numbers coming out of the side wall of one of the two tires. I went to the other side and saw the rubber markings where there would have been another one, but somehow must have gone out on the road. I pulled out the metal plate and contacted the dealership the next morning. Tires: Ridgway Sport ST205/75D14.
To make the story short, they contacted FR who told them that they don't warrant tires as they buy them from a tire manufacturing company and gave them the contact information there. The dealer contacted the tire company who advised them that there was a form to be completed by owner. I filled in the form immediately and that started a two-week communication back and forth with the tire manufacturer. I sent them 10 photos of the tires and requested for them to replace ALL 5 tires because I no longer felt safe! Afterall, this was a brand new TT, first trip and this happens on 2 of the 5 tires. Well, it boiled down to: the machine that stamps the serial numbers on the tires 'lost' the metal tab and embedded it inside the side wall. Can you imagine? 2 of 5 tires; they must have gone crazy looking for the metal tab.
The tire company maintained a civilized communication but very simply told me that this was a 'cosmetic blemish not affecting the integrity of the tires' and therefore, not be covered by the warranty. We went back & forth and they very nicely agreed to replace the two tires but would not pay for the labor required to install them; the dealer had to assume those charges! When they removed one of the 'blemished' tires, it also had a huge hole on the threads....I am blessed it did not blow out. They 'visually' checked the remaining tires and I am praying that all goes fine on my next trip.

#2 - Came home from my first trip and the electric stabilizer jacks would not work. After patiently fooling around with them, they finally went down. When it was time to retract them, they wouldn't come up. Once again, I had to fool around with the switches until they came up. Can you imagine? A brand new TT. Well, once again, the dealer has had to order new switches because those are faulty.

#3 - Given the time frame between purchase, delivery of unit and the few months elapsed, the dealer advised me that it was time to do maintenance on the roof and indicated that there was a small portion in the front that needed re-sealing and by the time the switches come in, I will need to re-seal the whole roof....amazing! How can the original caulking be bad already? OK, granted, I am in Florida, but so soon? This will be like a regular expense at the dealership level; I can't climb on the roof due to a vertigo problem.

#4 - Whoever installed the toilet pipes ripped the panel cut-out and left it just like that with wood shavings on the floor. I'm telling you, what has happened to professional workmanship of the Forest River products?

#5 - The dinette tabletop made of solid cherry wood was cracked in three places. It had been covered with a poster, but when I saw it, you know that I requested for it to be replaced immediately. All Wildwood X-Lite units on the lot had the same problem. I requested for FR to send me a different type of tabletop, a formica one that I had seen online. Well, they did send one, but it shows these awful scratch marks which is not the pattern. After many phone calls and correspondence with FR, I believe they have a new tabletop for me, but the person is on vacation and I won't know for sure until the end of October - the saga will continue and I will update you at that point.

The tire situation is very scary. I can attach a couple of photos if you tell me how to do it on this forum site. For those who may have experienced a similar situation, communicating with etrailer, they have a TT tire that could be better, for one, it is a Radial, holds more weight and it fits the rim: Karrier Kenda ST205/75R14 with a Load Range D, 8 ply, 2040 lbs and 65 psi.

Thank you for listening, but I feel that everyone should be aware of these types of mishaps. I want to continue trusting the FR product; however, I can't anticipate what else will go wrong on this brand new unit!

Sirena
Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #2

So was the roof covered under warranty?
ww610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
Kinder Member

Cool Roof - Reply to ww610

Hi ww610,

No, the re-sealing was not covered by warranty. This is supposed to be a maintenance issue. I feel it shouldn't have happened with a new unit, but
rather than keep debating every item, I simply accepted it, had the dealer re-seal the small section and pay the $85.20 bill (labor + taxes + sealant).

Now, when I bring the unit back for the electric jack switches, the roof has to be totally re-sealed according to the service manager. According to the maintenance schedule, the roof needs inspection and re-sealing as needed every 6 months. In my wildest imagination, why would a brand new unit already need complete sealing of the roof moldings? It is absurd! That sealant should be of excellent quality given the exposure to the elements, don't you think?
Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
Site Team

It doesn't hurt to have the roof inspected regularly (every 6 months) but with a new unit there shouldn't be anything to reseal unless there's a problem.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sics-6778.html
See post #7 about posting photos.

PS
I added some space between bullets to make it easier to read.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you are having. I hope they make everything right. We are having some issues with our Salem Cruise Lite we bought in June of last year. As a matter of fact I just dropped it off to the dealer for the second time since we had it. One problem is the same as yours, the electric stabilizer jacks don't work with the switch but do with the remote. I won't go into detail of all the things that we've encountered but I've posted them before. Hopefully it didn't spoil the fun for you. Happy camping!!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alykat1325 View Post
I'm sorry to hear of the problems you are having. I hope they make everything right. We are having some issues with our Salem Cruise Lite we bought in June of last year. As a matter of fact I just dropped it off to the dealer for the second time since we had it. One problem is the same as yours, the electric stabilizer jacks don't work with the switch but do with the remote. I won't go into detail of all the things that we've encountered but I've posted them before. Hopefully it didn't spoil the fun for you. Happy camping!!

Hi I have a 2015 Wildwood and experienced the same problem as you with the stabilizers where the switch won't work but remote does. My recommendation is have the dealer replace them as I fought with the sometimes up and not. When I called the dealer where is purchased I talked to the general manager and told him I was on my way down and suggested he have a man available with 2 new switches or I'm gonna back the camper up through his front glass into his showroom, didn't want to scratch my truck just in case........ Well they replaced the 2 switches with a newly designed. As the tech told me FR has had problems and these were the new ones that come on the 2016 models. So they new they were defective but failed to issue a recall. Now they work great. Hope this help. Jim

Jim and Ruby
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote