Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Fresh Water Fill on City Water

Admin please move this to the appropriate thread if necessary.

Ive got 2016 29BH. Noticed last weekend at Disney my fresh water tank was filling on city water. Rumor has it that it may be my check valve. I pulled the water pump and took the head off etc... didnt see much wrong with it but I also dont really know what to look for.

1) Someone told me that I have a valve that I can manually switch my tanks. I do not believe him. We have had the trailer since last April and Ive been over and under and do not see anything that resembles that. THOUGHTS?

2) Is there a way to definitively determine that it is a check valve issue? I ordered a replacement kit and it will come in on Friday.

3) Any other thoughts

Thanks for the help.
JBRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

what do you mean switch your tanks? More then likely it is your check valve. Can easily be reset buy running pump until system charges. get a regulator on city water to prevent the check valve from blowing open.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #3

One of the fellas at a RV repair shop said that there is a switch valve so that you can manually divert water to a particular tank. But like I stated above I know mine does not have that options.

I let the pump run most of the week. It still didnt help the situation. Im just gonna replace the check valve and go from there.

Also I always have a regulator on there. Its possible that occurred when we blew out the system for winterization.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Some rigs are plumbed to fill the FW tank from the city water connection. There will be a clearly marked valve in the wet bay for such, AND there won't be a gravity fill. If you have a gravity fill, you won't be plumbed to fill by the city inlet.

Let stated above, in most cases like these, there might just be a little dirt in the check value, or possibly the check valve was forced open. Disconnecting the city line and running the pump for a little bit often can reset it.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #5
Site Team

If you are certain you do not have a valve that will let you fill the FW tank from the city water inlet try the following.

1.Disconnect or turn off city water
2.Turn off water pump
3.open a faucet and allow water to run until it stops. Turn off faucet
4. Turn on water pump and allow to run until it stops on its own
5. Open any faucet and let water run for about 30 sec
6. Shut off faucet and let water pump run until it stops on its own
7. turn off water pump
8 reconnect or turn city water back on
You should be OK

Running the water pump when you have city water connected can cause the check valve in the water pump to not seat properly and will allow water to leak into FW tank.
I recommend not running water pump when city water connected.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #6

Im going to reinstall the unit and try to fix it with the above steps. If that doesnt work I will replace the valve. I will update when complete to help out future individuals with the same problem.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #7

On my motorhome I have a clearly marked lever to fill the on board water tank. I also Have a gravity fill inlet. When the lever is turned I can hear the water filling the tank.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
On my motorhome I have a clearly marked lever to fill the on board water tank. I also Have a gravity fill inlet. When the lever is turned I can hear the water filling the tank.
I stand corrected then, but that would be the first time I've seen both a gravity fill and a city inlet fill on the same rig.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I stand corrected then, but that would be the first time I've seen both a gravity fill and a city inlet fill on the same rig.
My dad's 5'er has it as well.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #10

water pump

Has happened to me several times. Go out and turn the city water off. Turn on your water pump for a while . Then turn pump off and city water back on. This usually gets the pump switched so it will not fill. One time this did not work and I had to replace the pump. John
jrmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRIZ View Post
My dad's 5'er has it as well.
I learned something as well. I've never seen both on one rig.
Any possibility of posting a photo of the two fills so I can archive it?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #12

I will do my best but dont see him much. I personally have never seen his water system. Its just what he told me when I was explaining my issue. I ll ask him if he can snap a shot of his and Ill post it.

Tags
city water, fresh water, water