Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #21
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetcampbell View Post
Sorry, I do not have a picture of the ports. On this model the city water port and the fresh water intake port are next too each other on the driver's side toward the back of the unit (the fresh water tank is under the bed near the front). Each port has a cover and is threaded to accept a standard size water hose. Each has a little rounded screen to prevent insects from getting in (at least that's what I think the screen is for).

I found a pic on the internet. Both ports look exactly like this: https://pantherrvproducts.com/jr-pro...olonial-white/

Do you know where the water pump is in your trailer? You mentioned earlier that the water will not go anywhere when you tried to gravity fill. The previous owner might have installed a winterizing kit in the fw fill hose. If there is one installed it may be set for winterizing and the water will be going towards the water pump instead of the fw tank. You should locate the wp and look for a 3-way valve on the intake side of the pump.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #22

Fresh water fill

If all you have is fresh fill there should be valve to turn that says tank fill or city water i have never had a rv without a city water hook up and freshwater tank
Farmboy98922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #23

fresh water inlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have used one of these Harbor Freight pumps connected to a garden hose... works good if you have 12 Volts close by

X2
RV - 2018 Open Range 2804RK
getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #24

There should be an inlet that has about one and a half inch cap on it, take the cap off, you'll see where you add the water, and there is a smaller hole there that is the overfill hose and vent, once the fresh water tank is full, water comes out of the overflow vent.

The first picture you posted is simply the city water inlet!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa CAL View Post
I know this might be a silly question, but why are you trying to fill the city water tank this way?
If you need water, why not just fill the FRESH water tank ?
What exactly is a "city water tank"?
Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Ok, yeah that seems strange.
Not at all.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Ok, yeah that seems strange.
It's actually pretty common. Makes it easy to fill the tank by just hooking up a hose from your house or wherever.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy98922 View Post
If all you have is fresh fill there should be valve to turn that says tank fill or city water i have never had a rv without a city water hook up and freshwater tank
Please re-read the OP's post #5 where he wrote "city water port and the fresh water intake port are next too each other". He has a city water hookup AND a fresh water tank... both of which are threaded for water hoses.
There are many RV units represented on this forum with this set-up.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Do you know where the water pump is in your trailer? You mentioned earlier that the water will not go anywhere when you tried to gravity fill. The previous owner might have installed a winterizing kit in the fw fill hose. If there is one installed it may be set for winterizing and the water will be going towards the water pump instead of the fw tank. You should locate the wp and look for a 3-way valve on the intake side of the pump.
I'm guessing I don't understand something here. Why would you install a winterizing kit in the fresh water fill hose? won't that just suck anti-freeze into the fresh water tank? I thought the winterizing kit went between the fresh water tank and the water pump to allow the pump to suck antifreeze into the pump and through the unit's plumbing without going into the fresh water tank.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:03 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
There should be an inlet that has about one and a half inch cap on it, take the cap off, you'll see where you add the water, and there is a smaller hole there that is the overfill hose and vent, once the fresh water tank is full, water comes out of the overflow vent.

The first picture you posted is simply the city water inlet!
Nope ------ you've missed reading several posts. See my post #28 for help.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #31

Top fitting is a GRAVITY fill connection (for the FW tank).

Bottom fitting is a pressure fill connection (in this case, for city water).

Some rigs don't have a gravity fill for the FW tank, but a pressure fill connection that looks just like the city water connection.

No matter which pair you have (1 gravity, 1 pressure; or 2 pressure) they can come with separate locations as in the pic, OR they can come together in the same overall housing.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #32
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
I'm guessing I don't understand something here. Why would you install a winterizing kit in the fresh water fill hose? won't that just suck anti-freeze into the fresh water tank? I thought the winterizing kit went between the fresh water tank and the water pump to allow the pump to suck antifreeze into the pump and through the unit's plumbing without going into the fresh water tank.

No, not if it was properly installed with a 3-way valve. As with many other rv's that have the factory winterizing kit, my tt has a 3-way valve installed on the suction side of the water pump. If I want to fill my fw tank I turn the valve so the handle points to the fw tank. The valve is made in such a way that when the valve handle is pointing to the fw tank the pump will suck from it. When I winterize the tt the valve handle is turned to point towards the water pump and I use it to suck AF from the jug.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #33

I think you will find all Threaded hose connections , for potable water ,on the newer RVs have a spring loaded check valve just behind the threads of the connection. With a spring check you will not be able to fill with gravity. It won't open the spring load.
wetventR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #34

Quote:
No, not if it was properly installed with a 3-way valve. As with many other rv's that have the factory winterizing kit, my tt has a 3-way installed on the suction side of the water pump.
I understand how they work and where they are installed as you describe (on the suction side of the water pump between the fresh water tank and the pump). I don't understand why you would install it in the fresh water fill hose. Can you explain?
Old 03-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetventR View Post
I think you will find all Threaded hose connections , for potable water ,on the newer RVs have a spring loaded check valve just behind the threads of the connection. With a spring check you will not be able to fill with gravity. It won't open the spring load.
I certainly can't speak for all newer RV's, but that is certainly true of my 2018 Leprechaun.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetcampbell View Post
Hrm, using a pump raises a new question: If the pump puts out 290 GPH is that too much for the trailer's lines and should I use a regulator?
Ok on your unit with the hose attachment for the fresh water it does have a back flow device on it so gravity will not work . you need a pressurize hose to do . the pump your looking at will work fine . gph is not psi related . .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #37

Quote:
I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of the fresh water tank and the water pump when I had the board below the bed removed (it's screwed in and at the time did not have a heavy mattress on top of it).

The trailer is currently a 2 1/2 hour drive from home so I can't just run out and take a quick look.

But when I was there I recall seeing a water line running into the tank and then a short line running from the tank to the pump, then the outgoing line from the other side of the pump.

I don't recall seeing any other lines or valves. So I don't think there's a winterization kit installed. But when my transfer pump arrives and I go back out there to try putting some water in I'll open up the cover again and take a peek. And take some pictures!!
chetcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #38
Just as confused as you

Quote:
I understand how they work and where they are installed as you describe (on the suction side of the water pump between the fresh water tank and the pump). I don't understand why you would install it in the fresh water fill hose. Can you explain?

My TT has a city water and a fresh water tank fill connection. The fresh water fill connection also serves as the winterizing port for pumping the antifreeze through the water lines. Many people who did not have the factory installed winterizing kit install it the same way.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM   #39

Quote:
The check valve in the Fresh water tank fill fitting, is there for two reasons. It keep the water from surging out when the RV is moving , and for safety . say someone used the wrong chemical to disinfect the tank , you would not want a way for any contaminated water to go back into the water source it came from.
same go's for the city water connection on the RV.
wetventR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #40

Quote:
My TT has a city water and a fresh water tank fill connection. The fresh water fill connection also serves as the winterizing port for pumping the antifreeze through the water lines. Many people who did not have the factory installed winterizing kit install it the same way.
So, by the way you explained how your 3 way valve works there is not a check valve at the fresh water tank fill/winterization input port? Are you saying the pump can override the check valve and pull the antifreeze that distance? Or is water coming out the port when the valve is selected to fill/tank water to pump position? Just curious.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water