Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Backfill

Is there a check valve in the system that prevents water from the city hook up making its way into the tank?
2020 27RE is my unit.
Noticed water dripping from the fill spout and under the unit in the location of the low point drain. Turned off the city supply and now strictly using onboard water until I can find the point at which city water is making its way into the tank from the backside as opposed to the fill spout.
bvanoen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
Site Team

This gets reported often. Yes, there’s a check valve inside the fresh water pump. Start with this thread and follow any links in it.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ow-188907.html

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:43 PM   #3

Nest to cheap tires that blow up while traveling, this is probably one of the most common complaints in the RV community.

The backflow is caused by the water pump's manufacturer relying on a single check valve that is easy to become dislodged when city water connected and pump runs.

Follow the instructions on any one of the numerous threads on this topic and it will temporarily solve the problem.

For a more permanent solution, install an inline check valve (Valterra sells one on Amazon that's all metal) on the inlet side of your water pump. This will fix the issue regardless of whether someone turns on the water pump while connected to city water.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
Site Team

I've NEVER had the water pump on, while hooked up to city water.
So, never had this problem in 30 years of RVing.
Never had a bad check valve either.
Guess I'm just lucky. [emoji57]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:00 PM   #5

Thanks Mr Dan and Titan Mike.
bvanoen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I've NEVER had the water pump on, while hooked up to city water.
So, never had this problem in 30 years of RVing.
Never had a bad check valve either.
Guess I'm just lucky. [emoji57]
I've never had my pump(s) turned on while hooked up to city water, either. BUT I've experienced this problem on two pumps.

I can't say the first one wasn't exacerbated by high campground water pressure and too sorry a pressure regulator. I took it apart and reseated the check valve more than once. I finally had that pump replaced under an extended service contract.
The second pump exhibited this problem in April with a higher quality pressure regular set to 45 lbs. I did the "clean it" procedure and it cleared but it happened again on the same trip. It happened again in May.

Uncle Gene's rig did the same thing. I crawled through the equivalent of a mouse hole and removed his pump. The O-ring around his check valve was out of the groove and pinched flat in a couple of spots. We replaced the o-ring.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #7

Since you have a 2020 rig, you may have the same issue I did. Do you have a watermizor in your shower? If so, check to make sure it is not still on after use as it will push water into the freshwater tank and then fill it up and come out of the freshwater fill location. I just had to change the direction of the switch and all was good. Let me know if they solves your problem.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

In addition to the WaterMizer, debris in the pump's internal check valve or inadvertently turning on the pump while on city water, there is one more thing that will cause this and that is simply too high of city water pressure.

Always use a quality water pressure regulator as too high of pressure can sometimes overcome a perfectly good working check valve.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #9

Had this problem this week camping

I had the same problem for the first time while camping this week. I had put about 3 gallons of water in the fresh water tank for use while traveling to the campground. My wife used the WC and pump at one stop along the way then turned the pump off. When we got to the site, I hooked up city water. The next day while checking the tank lights, I noticed the fresh water tank showing 3 lights (2/3 full) but didn't think much about it since I knew I had only put in a small amount and my lights sometime read faulty. Then that evening while sitting outside, I noticed the freshwater overflow dripping just a little. I went inside and checked the lights and it said the freshwater tank was full. When I went back outside, it was a steady stream of water from the overflow so when I first saw it dripping it had just reached the point of overflowing. I opened the freshwater drain valve and out came the full 30 gallons or so over the next few hours. Once empty and the valve still open, it was the same trickle like had been coming out of the overflow. I remembered reading a post on the forum about turning the pump switch on and off 3 times and that sometimes fixes the backflow valve in the pump. I did that and then checked outside at the drain. It had stopped. I left the valve open the rest of the time camping and it never dripped again. I don't know where the thread on this is on the Forum but it is on here somewhere. Just glad I could remember reading it at the time. Hope this helps.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank