Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #1

Question furnace issues

Hello evryone, We have only been full time living in the TT for a week now and I have been running into a few newbie hickups but muttled through but I think I am out of my knowledge base on this one. I am having issues with my furnace it is only turning on for 30 seconds. I have checked the LP bottles and they are about 1/2 full each. I also checked the fuse (it's good). and conducted a main breaker shutdown and reboot. I am about to call my dealer/service to see if they could shed some light on this. If anyone has had this problem or any troubleshooting tips that would be greatly appreciated. thanks,
Armyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Has it worked till this point?

Did anything change?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

How are your batteries (Do you have shore power)?
A low 12 volt DC power source will not spin the fan hard enough to close the sail switch and route power to open the gas valves.
Sources of problem: Boondocking with low battery.

No (or low pressure) Propane?
Low or no propane will cause a "too lean" "no light" condition.
Refill tanks and check that the range burns tall and blue with all burners open. (Too cold tanks will "ice up" on the outside of the tank reducing the possible pressure that can be generated. This happens when I try to use my propane powered generator and I need to put the tanks in a warm water bath at about 1/3 empty to use all the gas in the tanks).

Bugs/nest in flue?
Clogged flue will allow propane to build up around jet resulting in an over rich mixture and a "no light" condition.
Fix: Flush out heater flue with compressed air or "in a pinch" garden hose.

Bugs/nest in Fan Motor?
A mud dauber (dirt) nest in the "squirrel cage" fan will slow the motor's rotation causing a similar to "low battery" failure to light.

Here is a good troubleshooting guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cage fan.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	67475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace motor.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	67476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban Furnace 001.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	67477  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf suburbantech.pdf (804.8 KB, 28 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #4

Along with TURBS & HERKS questions, there are a few other thing to "listen" for when the furnace starts (or in your case tries).

1 - Fan starts
2 - You should hear a clicking noise (this is the igniter trying to light the propane)
3 - "Whooshing" sound when the propane lights

I'm assuming you at least hear the fan running. If you don't hear any "clicking" then the problem may be in the igniter/circuit.

If you hear clicking but no "whooshing" (ignition) then that's a "no gas" condition. Check the propane valve/circuit on the furnace. The furnace will try this 3 times then shut down completely until you reset it.

If it does "light" but only runs for a few seconds, it could be low propane pressure, air in the line or one (or more) of the conditions HERK mentioned might exist.

Good luck and keep us informed.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

I called the dealer and they mentioned the sail switch as well.

I am hearing the ignighter switch and the fan but no whoooshing. I will definatley check the battery.

I have to ask where on the furnace is the propane valve/circuit on the furnace? I pulled the access pannel off and all I saw was 1 wire connection .

if your sugestions work then it will save me a lot of hassle in taking it to the dealer for them to check it out. thanks for the info Herk7769, rracer5, TURBS

I will let you all know how it works out
Armyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace