Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If you will be camping near others, please get an inverter generator.
You can get a number of affordable ones now. Lots of choices that will be quieter and more efficient.
I totally agree with you... I own a Ryobi inverter generator and never had any issues with it. It's really efficient and quiet.

-Ayn Rand
NicholasMeleeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #22

Generator choices are tough these days with so many options. Everybody has their opinions and favorites. So here is my opinion based on my particular experience.

1 - only consider inverter types, not only for the noise level, but for the clean power. Contractor types power will surge when running out of fuel or starting/stopping while connected. You are supposed to always turn breakers off when starting/stopping but few do

2 - do your homework. Read all the reviews from owners who have had the generator more than one season. Read the specs in detail on the models you are interested in.

3 - Consider portability. Can you store them in your cubbies or will you have to haul them in your truck bed. Are you physically able to lift/move them?

3 - Fuel types. You will be surprised how much propane generators use. That's why you see all these rigs with on-board propane generators also hauling portable gas generators. Also the output is diminished when on propane.

4 - cheaper is not always better. Again.. read the reviews on the real cost of cheaper gennies. We travel several times a year with 5-7 other couples. Most of them go the cheaper route. They also have new generators about every other year. Most are now using the champions which they love the first year. Then the 'coughing' starts and we end up cleaning carbs so they can have power. One fellow even carries an extra carb so he can just switch it out while cleaning the other. I read all the raving reviews in this forum about these cheaper models, but it doesn't seem to jive with my friends real-world experiences. But they still 'love' them even though they have had 4-5 generators while I've had the same ones I bought originally.

We bought 2 Honda EU2000i 10 years ago with a 6 gallon extended nurse tank. My brother bought 2 yamaha 2000s 6 years ago. Neither of us has had to do any work on them other than standard maint. And we run them a lot each season. The generators are perfect for us and allow us to run everything we need. Easily portable. If they only had remote start/stop they would be perfect Having 2 allows us to only run one unit when we don't need a/c.

Good luck in making your choice!!

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
This is a good point. Do you or does anyone else here have a recommendation on the best time(s) of the year to purchase generators? For example tvs go on sale before the superbowl. Do generators have a season where they get discounted? Are they usually marked down before Christmas? Thanks!
Keep a list of the sites you have visited with the pricing. Amazon is the best quick check for the going rate. If you see it go down there then others are going to match it.

JMHO
Something I discovered while watching the prices at Sears. Delete your browsing history on your browser. If you do not delete it and keep going back to check, you will keep getting the same price. Dirty little secret I found while checking from work and home.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
This is why I come here first. Lots of great info.
You can also check out this link - http://energypronto.com to get more accurate information about some quiet portable generators and inverter generators. It's always best to know their specifications and features before purchasing them.

-Ayn Rand
NicholasMeleeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator