Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
goose or 5th wheel

I just bought a 2016 Wildwood Heritage Glen 368RLBHK that has been converted to a gooseneck hitch. I want advice as to leave it as is or go back to the original 5th wheel hook up. I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel to haul with. I would appreciate any pros or cons.
__________________

jpwhiddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Daycruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhiddon View Post
I just bought a 2016 Wildwood Heritage Glen 368RLBHK that has been converted to a gooseneck hitch. I want advice as to leave it as is or go back to the original 5th wheel hook up. I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel to haul with. I would appreciate any pros or cons.

Describe the conversion, is it an adapter or is it the Reese Goose Box pin box?
__________________

__________________
44 Years RVing and no end in sight.
2018 Ram 3500 SB Limited, CC, 6.7/Aisin, 4X4, SRW. Comfort Ride Energy Absorbing Hitch.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
I do not know enough about the hitch to answer you.
jpwhiddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,307
These are the two options. The first is considered acceptable and the second not by most. I had the second and took it off...fwiw

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	206774

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0256.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	206775
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
it is not the reese.
jpwhiddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,307
goose or 5th wheel

Lol. They are both Reese...all the hitch people make them, but only a couple make a goose box type. It totally replaces the pin box.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Daycruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhiddon View Post
it is not the reese.

Ok, well then it must be an adapter of some type. Could also be an Anderson. In any case if you want to use a Ball type connection to your truck then replace the pin box with the Reese Goose Box. Otherwise remove the adapter and get a good energy absorbing 5th wheel hitch for your truck.
__________________
44 Years RVing and no end in sight.
2018 Ram 3500 SB Limited, CC, 6.7/Aisin, 4X4, SRW. Comfort Ride Energy Absorbing Hitch.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 5,600
Do you have other gooseneck trailers to pull with your truck? Then keep the gooseneck adapter.
What kind of hitch do you have in your truck bed now, if any? If it's a gooseneck ball, keep the trailer gooseneck adapter.
Otherwise install a fifth wheel hitch on both.
Nothing wrong with using a gooseneck hitch, I don't care what this forum says. Most of my RV friends are farm and ranch folks who have many gooseneck trailers. Their RVs all have the gooseneck adapter, from smaller fifth wheels to humongous toy haulers. It works fine.
But if you don't need a gooseneck type of hitch, there is no other advantage over a fifth wheel hitch.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
robbiels7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New port Richey FL
Posts: 1,345
I have the goose box and love it. It is approved by the manufacturer and keeps a clean bed. The ride is nice. It hasdouble shock absorbers and an air bag. I wouldn't do it any other way.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
I have the goose box and love it. It is approved by the manufacturer and keeps a clean bed. The ride is nice. It hasdouble shock absorbers and an air bag. I wouldn't do it any other way.
But here's a dumb question...Why do the truck manufacturers advertise that you can haul more weight (quite a but more actually) with a gooseneck hitch as opposed to a 5th wheel hitch?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
robbiels7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New port Richey FL
Posts: 1,345
I'm not sure on that one. I do know my hitch is rated at 30k. My truck will never see that but it is nice to know.Click image for larger version

Name:	1560104412857.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	206804Click image for larger version

Name:	1560104452787.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	206805
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
robbiels7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New port Richey FL
Posts: 1,345
By the way the hitch is the blue ox diamond gooseneck.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 5,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
But here's a dumb question...Why do the truck manufacturers advertise that you can haul more weight (quite a but more actually) with a gooseneck hitch as opposed to a 5th wheel hitch?
Ok, I'll bite.
I haven't seen truck manufacturers that have different weight ratings for gooseneck vs fifth wheel. I do see bumper pull vs gooseneck/fifth wheel in truck towing spec charts. Two different categories, not three.
I do see hitch manufacturers designate different weight ratings for fifth wheel vs gooseneck hitches, with gooseneck hitches rated with higher weight capabilities. But that is the hitch rating, not the truck rating.
Where did you see these ratings? I'm always willing to learn.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
robbiels7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New port Richey FL
Posts: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Ok, I'll bite.
I haven't seen truck manufacturers that have different weight ratings for gooseneck vs fifth wheel. I do see bumper pull vs gooseneck/fifth wheel in truck towing spec charts. Two different categories, not three.
I do see hitch manufacturers designate different weight ratings for fifth wheel vs gooseneck hitches, with gooseneck hitches rated with higher weight capabilities. But that is the hitch rating, not the truck rating.
Where did you see these ratings? I'm always willing to learn.
I haven't personally seen any published facts but have heard it a few times. So it could be a myth. The last time I heard someone say it the guy said he left the Ford stealership and that's what they told him. Sales tactics maby?
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
I haven't personally seen any published facts but have heard it a few times. So it could be a myth. The last time I heard someone say it the guy said he left the Ford stealership and that's what they told him. Sales tactics maby?


I swear I have seen it on Fiatís website(aka Ram). I will try an see.

I think the reason is the hitch rating not the trailer type.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,307
It touches on it here..of course looking at 3500 HD

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...ing_charts.pdf
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
lazyjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 121
I have used both. I prefer fifth wheel. I have a couple of adapters l would love to sell for any price. One has a polymer cushion and actually pulled pretty nice. I bought a new fiver a few years ago and decided to go traditional fifth wheel.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 48
Need safety chains

If you do go with the gooseneck you need safety chains also. I havenít been to every state but in Wisconsin you need them, also many other (maybe every) state you need safety chains.
menekaunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Full-time USA
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
I have used both. I prefer fifth wheel. I have a couple of adapters l would love to sell for any price. One has a polymer cushion and actually pulled pretty nice. I bought a new fiver a few years ago and decided to go traditional fifth wheel.
I have a 2019 F-350. I asked the dealer to show me the towing capacity for a 5th wheel hitch. He pulled it up on the computer and it said the truck could pull 27,500 lbs with a 5th wheel hitch and 35,000 lbs with a goose neck hitch. Don't ask me why the difference but I did see it on the computer.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
robbiels7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New port Richey FL
Posts: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I have a 2019 F-350. I asked the dealer to show me the towing capacity for a 5th wheel hitch. He pulled it up on the computer and it said the truck could pull 27,500 lbs with a 5th wheel hitch and 35,000 lbs with a goose neck hitch. Don't ask me why the difference but I did see it on the computer.
That's right on par with what I was told by my buddy who was looking at the new ford.
__________________

robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


×