Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #1

gray water won't drain completely

Just returned from the fourth trip with my 241qbxl wildwood and when I got it parked I got under it to jack it up to place more blocking under the tires. My hand hit the gray water tank and there was still water in it after draining at the campground.
I got to looking and the tank has a 2 to 3 inch bow in the middle of it, I opened the gray valve and about three gallons of water came out, I was 3 inches out of level.

One is this going to cause problems this winter when freezing weather gets here

Two is there anything that can be done to fix it.
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #2

The excess water comes for the P-Traps / A few gallons in the holding tanks will not cause any damage since there isn't enough of it to expand or apply pressure to the walls of the tank... If the tanks were almost full then that would be a different story. To make sure everything is clear from the drainage pipes for winter you could use a WET/DRY vacuum and vacuum at the drain pulling water from the P-traps if that concerns you. Then drain the tanks to remove any excess one last time before covering your baby up.

Just my two cents, by no means am I an expert on this subject. With that being said please speak up if you've have knowledge on freezing water in a RV experience.

2016 Ford Lariat F250 Super Duty
2016 Heritage Glen 337BAR
mboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

Just to add a little to what mboatwright said.....

My LaCrosse tt had two grey tanks linked together. It had a rear kitchen floorplan and in order to completely drain the galley tank I had to have the front and drivers side of the tt low.

You can also blow the lines out (I believe using no more than 45 psi) after using the low point drains when winterizing the tt. They make an adapter to screw into your city water connection so that you can use a normal tire chuck.
If you feel that you have removed about all of the water in the lines you can add rv antifreeze, or not, depending on how confident you are that all water has been removed.
When adding antifreeze be sure to add some to all your p-traps and you can also make sure, or not, each tank has some in it as well.

Hope this helped. &
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, water