Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2023, 06:58 AM   #1

Help buying New Truck for the RV

Hello experts,
I am pretty new to the RV life but I am so glad I jumped in. It has been a dream. I need some help because this is my first time buying a new truck while owning the RV. I know this may sound silly to people who understand RVs and trucks and weights etc, but my brain just doesn't get it.
I am hoping to find someone who can give me a possible list of trucks that would work to pull my trailer.If you are still reading, I will give details below.
If I had all the money in the world this would be an easy decisions. But I may be looking at the lower/smaller end of the truck series to be able to afford something new. FYI, I am leasing so keeping my current truck isnt an option hence my new problem.

My current truck is a Dodge Ram 1500 classic and it pulls the Rv with no problem.It does not have a special Hemi or anything like that.. Its a V6 standard engine I guess.

My trailer is a Forest River Xlite Wildwood 201BHXL with a dry weight according to the brochure of 4,200lbs.

That's about as far as I got with the details. So generally speaking, how do I determine the engine size I need to pull this RV? Engines are a complete other knowledge base that I know nothing. It's greek to me. Hopefully someone may be able to tell me to look for x number under x heading under the engine specs and if its x number you are good... haha. Does that even exist?

Thank you in advance for helping me and I apologize for my lack of understanding. The best way to learn is to ask questions right?
RobLynn1860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:37 AM   #2
llr

Unless you are thinking about a larger trailer almost anything would be ok for you. If you are think of larger post some weights and lengths.

In Ford F150s I would stay away from the 3.3 non-turbo engine for any camper towing. The 2.7 may be a good choice, the 3.5 and 5.0 are probably overkill but still good choices. The powerboost hybrid would be a good choice if you occasionally use a generator camping
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
Unless you are thinking about a larger trailer almost anything would be ok for you. If you are think of larger post some weights and lengths.

In Ford F150s I would stay away from the 3.3 non-turbo engine for any camper towing. The 2.7 may be a good choice, the 3.5 and 5.0 are probably overkill but still good choices. The powerboost hybrid would be a good choice if you occasionally use a generator camping
Thanks im nervous to buy wrong because the combo of dry and payload is 7528. Trucks like tacoma and ridgeline cant pull that.
What about a tundra or colorado canyon or ranger trucks?
RobLynn1860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:55 AM   #4

Wildwood 201BHXL is a 7500 pound GVWR trailer.

My personal One Ton Rule (of thumb) for happy towing is 2000 pounds more maximum towing capacity than the trailer's GVWR. This allows for cargo and passengers (and tongue weight), steep grades, and high temperatures. I'd want a truck rated at least 9500 pounds. Rule of thumb but I'd not want much less capacity. Couple hundred pounds either way probably does not make any difference so my 9300 pound rated Expedition would be fine.

I'd be surprised if you can find too many pickups with less capacity and maybe a couple SUVs can handle this weight and you won't be stuck with a truck as a daily driver. The Ford 3.5 EcoBoost engine seems made for towing.

-- Chuck
Old 03-31-2023, 01:08 PM   #5

Important; what can you safely stop, not what can you tow? Just my opinion.......
2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:37 PM   #6
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLynn1860 View Post
Thanks im nervous to buy wrong because the combo of dry and payload is 7528. Trucks like tacoma and ridgeline cant pull that.
If the empty weight is correct that is about 3000lbs payload, I have seen a few like that and I generally plan on 1000 over empty. Since you have the trailer you should take it to a scale to be sure.

For campers don't look at tow ratings but payload rating of the truck and see what is left after taking off the weight of people, cargo and anything else in or on the truck that was not there when it left the factory. Plan on 13% of the trailer weight needing to be less then the remaining truck payload.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 06:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
Important; what can you safely stop, not what can you tow? Just my opinion.......

Trailer brakes stop the trailer, my more than capable Ram Dually can be pushed thru a stop without trailer brakes even if we’ll under all capacity
Old 04-01-2023, 07:53 AM   #8

I know it's easy to say, but after all the info you're gonna get here, if you can afford it- try to buy a little more truck than you need. If you upgrade to a 3/4 ton, that really leaves the field open if you want something different or bigger in the future. But then again.....you may want to keep it small. Lots of advantages there, too. Good luck, and keep on asking. This is the best forum around for RVers.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:08 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

If your going to still be leasing stay with the Ram 1500 go with the Hemi and tow package you will be fine with that truck. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:29 AM   #10

First open the door and look at a similar sticker, notice the payload/never exceed weight sticker.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Trim Stickers (2).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	285377
Check what the axle ratios are for the trucks, from what I have read you want 3.55 or higher? Others can chime in on this.

Go to the manufacturers website and download the owners manuals for trucks you are interested in. Read the towing section. I know Ford has an information manual specific for towing, covers all the models. The more you stare at the numbers it becomes less confusing. Sometimes.

I have an ecoboost so it has a turbo. I use 93 octane almost exclusively even if not towing. Turbo has advantages and disadvantages.

Have talked to people with 2.7 ecoboost(car hauler 2 cars) and 5.0 V8 and they are happy with with their towing(unkown camper).

Probably need a medium/heavy duty tow package. You need to determine.

@RangeMaggotBob just said it right, I bought my truck instead of a 2.7 without the max tow package prior to even thinking about getting a camper. Same price but mine was a program truck with 2000 miles on it and a 2018 instead of a new 2019. I do have a cargo trailer and knew some day I am going to have to move it again was one of the reasons. But that is going to only be a one time trip if/when it happens.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:23 AM   #11

If you are going to buy a tow vehicle, forget about the "just enough truck" philosophy that a lot of people seem to have. In theory you can pull that trailer with anything rated for 5,000 pounds including a lot of SUVs. That would be a mistake. Why not have some extra capacity? Are you going to own that trailer for the rest of your life? Probably not.

Might as well buy a truck to pull with. At least a half ton and buy one with a decent engine for pulling like the Ford 3.5 liter turbo. A used diesel would be even better.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:09 PM   #12

For your current setup most any half ton will get the job done. I liked my daughters Ram 1500 with the 3.6. It was a great daily driver and had outstanding payload being a tradesman trim level. Right now is a horrible time to buy new or used but I know Chevy and Ram were offering incentives on 1500. I just moved back into a diesel. If you like the Ram going with the 5.7 hemi will work.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:23 PM   #13

I agree with all the experts…you can tow that with just about anything (note: I do not include fwd vehicles in my definition of anything and ridge lines are not trucks) that said, I agree you can’t go wrong with a 1500 pickup (although Toyota is not known for towing) large SUVs with tow packages work as well.

You will likely be at 6k lbs loaded and with an 800 lb tongue weight, so a payload of around 2k should be fine which fits with most 1500s

I agree with getting more than you need and get works for your camping style.

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I agree with all the experts…you can tow that with just about anything (note: I do not include fwd vehicles in my definition of anything and ridge lines are not trucks) that said, I agree you can’t go wrong with a 1500 pickup (although Toyota is not known for towing) large SUVs with tow packages work as well.

You will likely be at 6k lbs loaded and with an 800 lb tongue weight, so a payload of around 2k should be fine which fits with most 1500s

How are Toyota not known for towing the use to have a 4:60 rear gearing. Now it’s like a 3:42 but the new turbo is a beast. I’m telling you if Toyota made a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. They would destroy the competition after a few years. I loved my 2014 Tundra and it towed great. My daughters 2022 has high payload torque and horsepower. Rides better than the 2014 but with a loaded pin weight close to 3k I am unable to tow my 5th wheel with it. I don’t mind exceeding payload but me the family and the trl would be double the payload. The Tundra could more than adequately tow that combo
Old 04-03-2023, 08:58 AM   #15

Half ton trucks, like Ford, Chevy and Ram. The list is not that long.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
I pulled my rig (see signature) with a Colorado, 3.6L V-6, 6 speed transmission and ummmmmm it was a nightmare.
It's a small truck & short wheelbase. And with any hills the RPM's were screaming because of the 6 speed transmission.
I purchased the RAM after 1 year...

IMHO, I would not tow with a "midsize" truck...

Hope this helps...
Wild Bill
llibdliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:06 PM   #17

I would tow it with a Tundra all day. It would probably be over payload, but a good WD hitch I’m all in
Old 04-06-2023, 07:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post

Nooooooooo! Most half tons do not have 2000 pound payload capacities. My former Sierra 1500 was 1650. That is way more typical than 2000. There are a very small number of f150's with a specific payload package that actually have that 2000 pound capability, but that's a rarity. There are Ram Rebels out there with payloads as low as 1100

The Sierra handled an 815 pound payload fine...but. what are you leading in the truck other than the tongue weight? For us it was:

1. Tongue weight 815
2. 2 people and our stuff 435
3. Variety of stuff in the truck bed 200
4. Weight distribution hitch 106
Total payload needed: 1556
So the Sierra was within 100 pounds of being maxed out and thats with just two people. For a family of 5, we would have needed a bigger truck. For our new trailer with a 915 tongue weight we moved up to a Ram 2500.
RamManMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Hello experts,
I am pretty new to the RV life but I am so glad I jumped in. It has been a dream. I need some help because this is my first time buying a new truck while owning the RV. I know this may sound silly to people who understand RVs and trucks and weights etc, but my brain just doesn't get it.
I am hoping to find someone who can give me a possible list of trucks that would work to pull my trailer.If you are still reading, I will give details below.
If I had all the money in the world this would be an easy decisions. But I may be looking at the lower/smaller end of the truck series to be able to afford something new. FYI, I am leasing so keeping my current truck isnt an option hence my new problem.

My current truck is a Dodge Ram 1500 classic and it pulls the Rv with no problem.It does not have a special Hemi or anything like that.. Its a V6 standard engine I guess.

My trailer is a Forest River Xlite Wildwood 201BHXL with a dry weight according to the brochure of 4,200lbs.

That's about as far as I got with the details. So generally speaking, how do I determine the engine size I need to pull this RV? Engines are a complete other knowledge base that I know nothing. It's greek to me. Hopefully someone may be able to tell me to look for x number under x heading under the engine specs and if its x number you are good... haha. Does that even exist?

Thank you in advance for helping me and I apologize for my lack of understanding. The best way to learn is to ask questions right?
If you like dodge (I’m a Dodge Chevy guy) stat w the dodge get a tradesman w a 5.7 hemi. I had a 2017 Laramie longhorn 1500 with all the bells and whistles until last mo. It pulled my rock wood 2604 just fine. Just traded it in on a newer 2500 Heavy duty Tradsman only because I retired moved to my weekend home and want a plow and tow an equipment trailer.
snapcap14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:02 PM   #20

I'm no expert by any stretch, but Ford partial you could say. Shouldn't have a problem with most any 1/2 ton with a tow package. I like the 5.0 V8, just a tough proven engine . Hearing that the eco boost engines have better towing power but guessing I'm an old school V8 person and last time I was shopping, the eco's were fairly new so was sceptical then. Whatever, you've got a wide field to choose from with the load your pulling. I'd lean overkill but that's just me.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck