Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

How is fresh water tank attached? 2020 FRwildwood Xlite 24bhxl

I have a sagging fresh water tank that appears to have (I assume) come off a bracket and is hanging down below the cross member in at least one corner. The straps are secure so I don’t think there’s a danger in it falling out but won’t travel with water to be safe.

Does anyone know how these are attached? The RV shop looking at it says it seems wedged in or something might be above it because it’s not moving when he presses on it even though it’s empty. He’s asked FR for schematics to see how it should be attached and says he’s not getting anywhere with them. We haven’t pulled the underbelly yet but that’s the next move. He’s recommending that we cut it and tape it back with gorilla tape.

Any other thoughts on this?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	258357
RyanInAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

Yep...looks like its slipped out. Google holding tanks and you'll see how they are formed and that they are molded and have a LIP on each side the sits on the cross members. It may we wedged in there and that's why it can't be pushed back up. I'm thinking that one of straps may have broke and will need to be fixed. Opening up the bottom may be the only option. I replaced the straps on our Cherokee when we bought it, for the simple reason as I broke one when I was crawling around underneath, grabbed and pulled myself forward with it. TORE right off the screw holding it to the frame. Welded in angle iron supports after that.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Yep...looks like its slipped out. Google holding tanks and you'll see how they are formed and that they are molded and have a LIP on each side the sits on the cross members. It may we wedged in there and that's why it can't be pushed back up. I'm thinking that one of straps may have broke and will need to be fixed. Opening up the bottom may be the only option. I replaced the straps on our Cherokee when we bought it, for the simple reason as I broke one when I was crawling around underneath, grabbed and pulled myself forward with it. TORE right off the screw holding it to the frame. Welded in angle iron supports after that.

Thanks, You couldn’t tell from that first photo so I included another. The straps seem solid at the moment.Click image for larger version

Name:	64437950769__792E6710-A300-4EC9-ADCB-90D2CF53773A.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	258361
Old 07-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #4

Way better straps than I had on mine. If it does appear that the tank has slid off the supports, I'd recommend an additional strap along the edge that came loose. What size is your tank ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Way better straps than I had on mine. If it does appear that the tank has slid off the supports, I'd recommend an additional strap along the edge that came loose. What size is your tank ?

40 gallons
Old 07-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #6
2009 F450 2015 Cardinal

I had the same problem with mine. I used a solution that I think was posted with pictures by TitanMike. I'm having a senior moment not being able to remember the name of the product. It is stout galvenized square tubing that you can cut to fit and clamp into place to support the tank. I won't go into the whole litany here, but we did actually have ours fall out on the Alaskan Hwy near Whitehorse. Lowes and Home Depot carry it in 12 and 14 gauge. Some of the factory support systems for the water tanks are inadequate...
AntonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonJ View Post
I had the same problem with mine. I used a solution that I think was posted with pictures by TitanMike. I'm having a senior moment not being able to remember the name of the product. It is stout galvenized square tubing that you can cut to fit and clamp into place to support the tank. I won't go into the whole litany here, but we did actually have ours fall out on the Alaskan Hwy near Whitehorse. Lowes and Home Depot carry it in 12 and 14 gauge. Some of the factory support systems for the water tanks are inadequate...
You might be referring to “Unistrut”. It’s basically an electrical product, but can be used for a lot of other projects. It also has a variety of fasteners available for it.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #8

If your RV shop needs schematics then they aren't much of a repair shop. There is no easy way or shortcuts here. The underbelly needs to be removed and the tank put back in place and the supports replaced with a better stronger materiel. This happened on my last trailer which was a FR Micro Lite. Getting ready for the first trip out boondocking and I heard some sounds I didn't while I was filling the fresh water tank. I looked underneath and the tank was drooping out of the supports (No underbelly). I had some angle iron bed rails handy and rebuilt the supports. Lasted three more years of travelling around the West.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #9

Same thing happened to my 2506S MiniLite Rockwood... It was caused by filling the water tank too fast.. not allowing the air to escape thru the "small" vent hose.. Caution is advised when filling..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanInAlaska View Post
I have a sagging fresh water tank that appears to have (I assume) come off a bracket and is hanging down below the cross member in at least one corner. The straps are secure so I don’t think there’s a danger in it falling out but won’t travel with water to be safe.

Does anyone know how these are attached? The RV shop looking at it says it seems wedged in or something might be above it because it’s not moving when he presses on it even though it’s empty. He’s asked FR for schematics to see how it should be attached and says he’s not getting anywhere with them. We haven’t pulled the underbelly yet but that’s the next move. He’s recommending that we cut it and tape it back with gorilla tape.

Any other thoughts on this?Attachment 258357

"but won’t travel with water to be safe."
You really don't want to travel with it like that as well you don't want water in it. Your next problem if you travel with the open will be water damage from the road. Just saying.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #11

This has been an on going problem that Forest River doesn't give a rats a** about. Our 26rr Toy Hauler did the same thing the first year we had it. Cheap strips of sheet metal that tore loose. Good thing the tank was directly over the axle, it drop on the axle and kept it from falling completely out. I pushed it back in place and put 4 pieces of angle iron across to keep in place. Just be careful not to drill into the tank ! If your dealer says they don't know how to fix it, they probably don't want bothered with it. Find a new dealer or fix it yourself.
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #12

Tape won’t hold the underbelly back together after cutting it. It might work temporarily. I’ve several different tapes even the stuff that’s made for underbellys. Best permanent fix is stitching it back together with zip ties about every inch.
High Country Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #13

OK…..
JLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #14
Scoundrel

What Blackrock said above^^^^ There are no schematics for the water tank holding brackets and your RV repair shop should know that. The bottom cover has to come off and the tank reinstalled with new supports. Here's some more info: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...de-129346.html

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, lite, tank, water, water tank, wildwood