Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 04:20 PM   #1

How much weight can the TV mount location hold?

We recently got a 19dbxl and I am looking to mount a TV.

This particular unit has a cabinet face that is designated as the TV Mount Location. It appears that it is just a 1/2inch particle board cabinet face and I'm worried it won't hold much weight. I want to install a 24 or 32" tv of about 9lbs with an articulating mount. I was wondering if anyone else has done this with or without experiencing any problems.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19DBXL-Dinette.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	246810  
SadieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post

This particular unit has a cabinet face that is designated as the TV Mount Location. It appears that it is just a 1/2inch particle board cabinet face and I'm worried it won't hold much weight. I want to install a 24 or 32" tv of about 9lbs with an articulating mount. I was wondering if anyone else has done this with or without experiencing any problems.

Thanks!
What year and brand is a 19DBXL since you don't have that information in your profile?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:32 PM   #3

Don't forget to calculate in the weight of the mount. They be kinda hefty too.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
What year and brand is a 19DBXL since you don't have that information in your profile?
It is a 2021 Wildwood Xlite 19dbxl.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
It is a 2021 Wildwood Xlite 19dbxl.
Moved to Wildwood sub-forum since the OP is looking model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #6

Something behind there

Quote:

Thanks!
Sadie, in general, the spot that is marked for a TV mount has robust framing an area material behind the panel. If you rap the panel with your knuckles in a pattern, you may be able to determine the extent of the backup material. You will probably want to use longer screws (1" - 1-1/2") to get plenty of threads into the backup piece.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:43 PM   #7

TV mount

What size screws would you recommend to use? Thanks
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Sadie, in general, the spot that is marked for a TV mount has robust framing an area material behind the panel. If you rap the panel with your knuckles in a pattern, you may be able to determine the extent of the backup material. You will probably want to use longer screws (1" - 1-1/2") to get plenty of threads into the backup piece.
Because it is a cabinet face, I can open the cabinet next to it and look in and feel behind it. There is no additional backing. It is just the 3/8 or 1/2 inch pressed wood cabinet panel. There are two additional vertical supports that you can see in the picture. I'm not planning on using any screws but rather nuts and bolts with large washers to make sure there's no chance of them pulling out.

My concern is a 7-9 lb tv on a swing arm mount. I don't know the exact math, but 9 pounds held out at at 16 inches has to have a force close to 50 lbs. This is the mount, I am planning to use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Z7NVBK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure the cabinet panel can handle that weight. However, I always tend to over engineer everything. I was hoping someone would have done something similar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19DBXL-TVmount.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	246886  
Old 01-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #9

Usually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
What size screws would you recommend to use? Thanks
Usually I pick screws that just fit the holes in the bracket I am mounting.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Because it is a cabinet face, I can open the cabinet next to it and look in and feel behind it. There is no additional backing. It is just the 3/8 or 1/2 inch pressed wood cabinet panel. There are two additional vertical supports that you can see in the picture. I'm not planning on using any screws but rather nuts and bolts with large washers to make sure there's no chance of them pulling out.

My concern is a 7-9 lb tv on a swing arm mount. I don't know the exact math, but 9 pounds held out at at 16 inches has to have a force close to 50 lbs. This is the mount, I am planning to use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Z7NVBK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure the cabinet panel can handle that weight. However, I always tend to over engineer everything. I was hoping someone would have done something similar.
Your concerns are justified.
Weight (tv) on the end of a lever (articulating mount) can multiply quickly.
And you are right, particle board doesn't do well with wood screws holding weight.

Since there is nothing behind the particle board and since you can easily get to the area, a backer board of the appropriate size, made of plywood and located behind the particle board with through bolts into the mount would be my course of action.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #11

Tricky...

Quote:

That is tricky. You must rely on the quality of the cabinetry and the mounting of the cabinet to wall and ceiling. Did you happen to notice whether there are fasteners from the top of the cabinet into roof truss?

Have you tried a chin-up or partial chin-up on that cabinet or an adjacent one? (only partly kidding here.)
We don't have that unit and I really can't advise further. I wonder if Wildwood could give further information about the construction.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #12

I hung the TV.

There was a small pine strip that was screwed to the roof rafters and the cabinet face was stapled to it. I didn't trust the pressed board stabled to the one strip, so I backed it with a piece of 1×8 I had laying around. I positioned the board so it pinched the pine rail screwed to the rafters.

It seem very sturdy. Here are a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210205_135616~2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	247422   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_143224~2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	247423   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_144314~2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	247424   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_144249~2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	247425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_145049~2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	247426  

Old 02-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #13

What size tv is that? I have the exact same camper and had planned on making a backing plate much as you have. Thanks for the pictures!

birdland71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdland71 View Post
What size tv is that? I have the exact same camper and had planned on making a backing plate much as you have. Thanks for the pictures!
That is a 32" TV. It weights about 9lbs. I wasn't sure it would fit but, I already had it. I figured I'd give it a shot. It is a tight fit, but it fits. There is a about 1/2" on each side. A little more on the top, but I think it fills the space nicely.

Just a couple of notes/warnings:

Be aware that centering the Mount may not center the TV. I had to place this mount 1" to the right in order to center the TV. The TV did automatically Center up and down, but this may not be the case with every TV (different mounts and TV's will be different make sure you check before drilling). This is always something to consider, but more important if your TV will be a tight fit.

Just one more word on the backing plate. If you do it the same way, there is a little gap between the backing plate and the cabinet face. I would use something to shim that gap to keep from pulling the face away from the top rail. I used some paint stirrers I had. You could also notch the top of the board to match the gap, but I didn't have anything with me to do that, so I chose shims.

Also, this mount will barely close because the vertical cabinet piece doesn't let it lay flat against the cabinet and I had to get a 90 degree HDMI adapter to allow the cable to work and still latch the mount closed. I thought about using another piece of wood as a spacer on the front of the cabinet, but I ended up not needing it.
https://www.amazon.com/VCE-Supported...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You have to be a little careful swiveling it out not to hit the smoke detector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gap.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	248187  
Old 02-22-2021, 10:20 AM   #15

Quote:
I hung the TV.

There was a small pine strip that was screwed to the roof rafters and the cabinet face was stapled to it. I didn't trust the pressed board stabled to the one strip, so I backed it with a piece of 1×8 I had laying around. I positioned the board so it pinched the pine rail screwed to the rafters.

That ain't goin' nowhere. Good job. Exactly what I would've done.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #16
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
I hung the TV.

Excellent job. Over engineering never hurt anything except the budget that someone else determined.......but never looked at the consequences.

Carry on and enjoy.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #17

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! Much appreciated!

birdland71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, mount, tv mount, weight