Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Infractee

Just ordered a new 5th wheel!

Loved our previous Rockwood 8316SS, unfortunately Rocky was destroyed while sitting in storage, roof collapsed at indoor storage facility and she was crushed... So, we have been looking at new 5th wheels, seen every single Rockwood 5er, really liked the 8282 and 8285, I was ready to bite on the 8282, that is, until Me Wife ventured off on her own at the dealer while we were waiting on a busy salesman to get back with us on which models they had in stock versus what they would have to order etc. Lo and behold she calls me on my phone tells me to come back over by The Rockwoods, she wants to show me something. I walk two rows over and there she is, standing inside a Heritage Glen 327 RES, she is visibly excited, smiling brightly and I think to myself in that instant, there goes the Rockwood....
She shows me around and I am very impressed, definitely not an overstuffed 5th like a Columbus or a Cameo or even an HR or the like, yet noticeably more well appointed than the Rockwoods we had been looking at, she loved the kitchen & L shaped counter and I loved the L shaped couch! The two opposing slides really open up the rear of the unit.
After spending an hour getting to know the inside of it and it's many features we left the dealership, tired from walking all day and climbing in and out of pretty much every camper on the lot that interested us.
I knew there was not going to be any further discussion of the Rockwoods, all I had to know was what colors she wanted, stick a fork in it, it was a done deal.
I have now ordered the new unit, every option box checked except for the La-Z-Boy chair upgrades, We enjoyed the leather theater seating option in the Rockwood 8282WS so much that I will order some leather theater seats in the correct width and take out the rockers that come standard with it and replace.
It is a beautiful rig with some really cool features standard, central vacuum, It has a wireless touch screen that controls rear jacks, landing gear, slides, lighting etc, and while it is a wee bit heavier than the Rockwoods, it is only marginally more expensive, something that I can easily live with. Will be done in mid-March, can't wait to get it!!

Anybody else towing one of the HG 5th wheels with a 6.5' bed? Any problems with clearances at < 90 degrees?? The front cap looks slightly scalloped to provide more clearance, you just never know til you hook up and try it tho.

I shall call it "Harry"
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #2

Congrats on ordering your new Heritage Glen 327 RES.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #3

Congrats on the new 5er
Old 01-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #4

We got ours about month ago. We are pulling ours with a short bed chevy. Can almost turn 90 deg without a slider hitch.
Nutfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
MI Camperz

It's sweet with the sectional. Love the kitchen layout too. Congrats, you must be thrilled!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutfarmer View Post
We got ours about month ago. We are pulling ours with a short bed chevy. Can almost turn 90 deg without a slider hitch.
That is good to hear, thanks! Run into any initial quality issues?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
It's sweet with the sectional. Love the kitchen layout too. Congrats, you must be thrilled!
Thanks!
Kitchen layout was what really sold DW, after that it was the couch setup. Not crazy about the faux brick/rock stack around around fireplace and TV, would rather have cabinets around it, but it will be fine.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 AM   #8

We brought it home and found it had 15" tires one side and 16" tires on the other side. Haven't got my remote for the slides, jack etc yet. Black tank flush had a loose hose fitting. The cd player still had the factory screws in the unit so the cd wouldn't play. A few other minor issues, all which I fixed myself.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #9

Congratulations on your new rig!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
Infractee

Quote:
We brought it home and found it had 15" tires one side and 16" tires on the other side. Haven't got my remote for the slides, jack etc yet. Black tank flush had a loose hose fitting. The cd player still had the factory screws in the unit so the cd wouldn't play. A few other minor issues, all which I fixed myself.
WOW! mismatched tires?? I wonder if something like that is on a typical dealers PDI list??
Great find tho, how did you notice it??
Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #11

We were getting ready to go on our first trip, checked the tire pressure. 80 psi in one side, 60 psi in the other. What's wrong with that picture.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
We were getting ready to go on our first trip, checked the tire pressure. 80 psi in one side, 60 psi in the other. What's wrong with that picture.

Nothing if they're on the left side and you plan on taking out on a NASCAR track. Lower pressure, smaller tires on the left are great for turning left.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #13

Here is hoping you have better luck with this one, be sure to double check the roof of your next storage unit.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
Infractee

Quote:
WOW that would be an eye opener! Good thing you took note of it, some would have not thought anything of it and just put all 4 tires to 80 or 60 and went on like nothing wrong without investigating. Good eye!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Here is hoping you have better luck with this one, be sure to double check the roof of your next storage unit.

HAW HAW! I can see the look I would get asking the owner if I could inspect his roof before I park me camper there!

The storage place is actually building a new, bigger (and stronger I hope), building.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #16
Infractee

Got an email from RV Whoelsalers that our unit was going to be ready this coming week! I told them there is no rush, would rather have a PDI done well than a rush job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #17

I hope it turns out good for you. We took our second trip in ours a couple of weeks ago with no problems. We finally just got our remote for the slides etc from the dealer, after many emails and phone calls. It came without any instructions, so I had to do some searching to find out how to make it work.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
Infractee

I have found very little online about the remotes, seems to be a well guarded secret...LOL
Apparently they are having some part shortages, finally ready this week, transport picking up late this week should have it early next week! Can not wait!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #19

Congratulation on you new 5er. I have a HG 336rlt 6.5 box. No problems at all. Can get almost to 90 but have never pushed the issue. I have a slider hitch and have never used it. We have had it for a year and love it. No problems at all so far.
CKram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
Infractee

It is on it's way!!
Transporter is hooked up and headed at me, will be at my house tomorrow!! Can not wait!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shg1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	47914   Click image for larger version

Name:	shg2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	47915  

Tags