Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Keeping out mice

We have a 36' wildwood with the bunks I think it's a 36bks or something like that. Past two winters we have been inundated with mice. I put poison traps out some of those rodent repellers from tractor supply and it didn't seem to help keep them away. They are all the poison in the traps but there was still mouse poop everywhere. I am at a loss as to how they are getting in. Even during the summer months we know they are getting in.

Behind the stove last year I lifted up the knife rack and where the pipes for gas come up I am sure they were in there so I plugged that hole. They are also getting into the bathroom and kitchen sink cupboards somehow.

Looking underneath it is hard to see any place they are coming in.

Any one have any great ideas on keeping them out or securing the rv from them ?

It is disgusting the amount of mouse crap that is pretty much everywhere in this camper.
gouda272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Two items that seem to work well are Cab Fresh and essential oil of peppermint. For the peppermint you need essential oil quality ( not cooking peppermint) sprinkle a few drops on one or two cotton balls in an old glass or mug and place several around the camper. Replenish about every 6 weeks. Works on mice and spiders and makes camper smell nice. You should also crawl under the camper and fill any holes with rodent proof sealer or bronze wool.
Please do not use poison, It kills the rodents by causing them to bleed to death internally which causes them to get very thirsty. They leave the camper in search of water and can be eaten by hawks, owls and Eagles. We recently has multiple Eagles killed here by eating poisoned varmints.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #3

Thanks yeah we were desperate with the poison as we knew they would leave after eating it and we're worried about our own dogs finding them. So we don't use it while we are there. I will look for that oil. I appreciate your response.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Canadian Member

Sorry to hear about your mice problem. If you do a search on "mice" you'll get lots of options to try. I'm using Essence of Peppermint Oil on cotton balls and Fresh Cab pouches. It seemed to be working last Fall but I haven't checked on the trailer since last November.

Find every potential entry point, fill it with copper, brass or stainless steel wool and then Pest Block spray foam. If they are already in, use traps, not poison. You don't want them dying somewhere inside that you can't reach them and stinking up your trailer as they decay.

Good luck. This is something many of us have dealt with and continue to deal with.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouda272 View Post
Thanks yeah we were desperate with the poison as we knew they would leave after eating it and we're worried about our own dogs finding them. So we don't use it while we are there. I will look for that oil. I appreciate your response.
You can find essential oils at Walmart

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #6

Have used Radha essential peppermint oil, and it works very well. Amazon has it. Keeps bugs and mice away.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...peppermint+ess
Old 03-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #7

With regards to the cab fresh I used that this year and that didn't seem to help at all you can see where the mice were right next to them.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouda272 View Post
With regards to the cab fresh I used that this year and that didn't seem to help at all you can see where the mice were right next to them.

Same experience for me.
They chewed open the bag and used it to build a nest in the stuff that fell out of the pouch.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #9

Haha I don't think they are thru mine but I will double check on my packages to see if they tried.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #10

We use Bounce fabric softener sheets in all the cabinets and storage, keeps the squirrels and mouse's out and smells nice when you walk in.
Powerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:29 AM   #11

Update. So I think we figured out at least one place they were coming in. I had to take out/apart the shelving under the kitchen island sink and they had chewed a hole through whatever that fabric is that goes along the underside of the coach. Sealed that up and have the peppermint out with some traps. It smells good and after one night no dead mice yet. I'll be going back to check on it this weekend.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #12

We would have mice in the summer, and we figured out it was because we'd kept dog food in a sealed container under the sink. They could smell the food but not get in it. Took the food away when we left and they didn't get back in. There's so many places they can get in. I'm sure they came up the water runs to the sink. This year I'm gonna be all over the inside, and seal up the piping cutouts with great stuff non expandable foam. That should at least slow them down. We've had good luck with mothball packets but I'll try the peppermint too. Over the winter though will be a different issue. Fortunately we've not had any over winter storage issues with them.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #13

The place we keep our camper has cats roaming all the time. No mice problems.
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote