Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 11:32 AM   #1

King Wifi Pre-Wired

I just purchased a Wildwood Heritage Glen 24RLHL and was excited to see that it was pre-wired for King Wifi products. I found the "Pre-wire" inside the camper wall by removing the cover plate and running my fingers through the hole to find the one wire with, I believe, a SMB type connector on the end with a rubber protective boot cover on it. My understanding is that this cable is run inside this wall alongside the TV antenna coax up into, or near, the omnidirectional antenna housing on the roof and that the housing must be removed to access the other end to this wire. I haven't done this yet and do not know what type of connector is on the outside end that is to be connected to the antenna.

I do have a couple of questions for those who may have installed this setup on their own:

1.) Is the antenna cable that is intended to be used for the wifi antenna capable of being used for a cellular booster antenna instead of wifi, such as the King or WeBoost Cellular boosters? I find campground wifi to be inconsistent and would just rather stream using my hotspot, but T-Mobile can be a little quirky in rural areas. Using this cable for a cellular signal booster IMO would be way more beneficial than the wifi antenna.

2.) Were those that purchased the King Wifi Router separately and added the Swift Antenna later happy with their purchase, or would they just as satisfied with the Router performance using just the screw in antenna that came with the original router?

3.) Has anyone used the existing King Wifi cabling to connect it to third party antennas and routers, and if you did, what equipment did you buy? What type of adapters were required to match the King wires with other equipment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	251866  
bobkeown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #2

Just received a return call from King telling me that the wiring they used for the King Wifi is 11 feet for a reason (don't go longer or performance will definitely suffer) and that the pre-wiring is not compatible for using with their LTE Cell Booster product (definitely producer thought out and not a consumer friendly decision).

Let me just put this out right here for people who are ill-informed on wifi: Wifi Boosters are a Red Herring. They will cost you a lot and you will see very little gain in performance for what you are spending. Research for a hotspot plan instead. Last week I stayed in a campground that was within 100 feet of a WiFi Repeater. I got fantastic performance 20 percent of the time. There is always going to be parents who are putting their kids in front of a TV streaming Paw Patrol and you will NEVER see consistent wifi for the hundreds of dollars you spend trying to get it.

Campground Wifi access is not an expense worth jockeying for. Quite chasing the unicorn.
bobkeown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wire, wifi