Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #1

Leveling RV with Slide Out???

Please help!! We level our Wildwood DBUD with our super slide closed, and we make sure it’s spot on level side to side using several bubble levels in the center of the camper. When we open the super slide after we’re unhooked from our truck, it’s unlevel! Can we open the super slide while still hooked to the truck, and level the camper? Any suggestions or advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED! We’re currently camping and need to try and relevel our camper.
Thanks so much in advance!!!!
plh869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #2

your RV doesnt care when you do it, as long as its as level as you would like it when youre finished
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

I'm not a fan of moving or leveling the RV with the slides out. Especially a super slide.

I'm assuming you don't have auto levelers and use boards or lynx block type levelers. Heavy slides on one side can alter level when deployed. After a few times doing this, you should be able to determine how high to set the slide side so that when you unhook and deploy the slide, it brings it down to level. That's how everyone I know handles this situation with big slides.

Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm not a fan of moving or leveling the RV with the slides out. Especially a super slide.

I'm assuming you don't have auto levelers and use boards or lynx block type levelers. Heavy slides on one side can alter level when deployed. After a few times doing this, you should be able to determine how high to set the slide side so that when you unhook and deploy the slide, it brings it down to level. That's how everyone I know handles this situation with big slides.

Good luck!
^^^^
What he said!!
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
your RV doesnt care when you do it, as long as its as level as you would like it when youre finished
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

Good luck!
^^ This is good advice.

Determine how far out of level your rig goes once the super slide is opened and the simply make the adjustments necessary when leveling to compensate for the cantilevered weight of the slide.

On my 5th wheel with 2 slides on one side, I have to have that side of the rig a half a bubble high for it to be level once both slides are deployed.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Open the slide and then level the RV. No idea how this could harm anything.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Open the slide and then level the RV. No idea how this could harm anything.

-- Chuck
Well, I wouldn't.

I've seen the way some folks ram and jam on the brakes when positioning up onto levelers.

I wouldn't want my slides (or SuperSlide in the case of the OP) subjected to that.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #9

We releveled the camper with the slide out and made sure the center of the camper was level side to side. The slide side is still low. My husband thinks we only need to put our levelers under the lowest side of the camper to bring it up level. He said the slide side will be somewhat lower due to the weight of the slide. We’re on the worst most unlevel site ever. We have the Links levelers and we have the curb levelers. It does seem that walking around inside the camper is much more level now. It seems we level with the slide in, and once the slide is out it gets off level some. Thanks so much for your advice!!! It is very helpful as always!!!
plh869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by plh869 View Post
We releveled the camper with the slide out and made sure the center of the camper was level side to side. The slide side is still low. My husband thinks we only need to put our levelers under the lowest side of the camper to bring it up level. He said the slide side will be somewhat lower due to the weight of the slide. We’re on the worst most unlevel site ever. We have the Links levelers and we have the curb levelers. It does seem that walking around inside the camper is much more level now. It seems we level with the slide in, and once the slide is out it gets off level some. Thanks so much for your advice!!! It is very helpful as always!!!
A couple of your comments cause me some concern... If you leveled the center of the camper and the slide is still not level, maybe your slide is not adjusted correctly?

Also... yes you only put levelers under the low side to bring it to level. If you put levelers/blocks/boards under both sides, you really would change anything.

The only time I've ever put levelers/boards under both sides is when in soft, wet ground for support. Of course, I still had to add more to the low side.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #11

Did you understand what Wildcat suggested above? Set up with the slide side a bit high and then when the slide is deployed it will bring that side down to level.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #12

Just like "NMWildcat" said....

Is what I suggest and works for me.

I'm not a fan of moving the rig with the slide deployed...to many things could go wrong.
Nor am I a fan of putting the (super)slide out before I run my hoses, cable and slinky-stinky...which in my case I prefer to have tucked under the slide, neat and tidy....just MHO.

Good Luck

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #13

I have to move perhaps a half tire rotation to get on my level-airbags and at most campsites the site is good enough side-to-side without them. Driving like a jerk isn't recommended towing anything. Don't think there's anyone like that here.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #14

Leveling with a slide out

I have a 32' 2014 Wildwood. I found, after several trips, that when the one large slide on the street side is extended, it changes the trailer level by one mark on the gauge. So, before I unhook, I raise the street side by one mark. When the slide is extended, the trailer is level. Simple.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by plh869 View Post
Please help!! We level our Wildwood DBUD with our super slide closed, and we make sure it’s spot on level side to side using several bubble levels in the center of the camper. When we open the super slide after we’re unhooked from our truck, it’s unlevel! Can we open the super slide while still hooked to the truck, and level the camper? Any suggestions or advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED! We’re currently camping and need to try and relevel our camper.
Thanks so much in advance!!!!

Read ALL the answers, NO one mentioned reading the factory recommendations. It was all I do this or that. That said, as others have indicated, learn how much it's off and compensate for that amount before you unhitch. If you have the propane/electric refrigerator, try to get it level by checking inside the freezer compartment with a short level on the floor of the compartment.. If you have the residential refrigerator, if your happy it's happy. Just don't be bouncing and jerking the trailer around with the slides open, just asking for trouble.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #16

use two stabilizers under your slide. it will also help with movement in your RV.
vic1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1954 View Post
use two stabilizers under your slide. it will also help with movement in your RV.
Please don't put stabilizers under your slides. Ever.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #18

My flagstaff has what looks to be the same size slide that you have. On a perfect site I will use one Lynx Level block under the tires on the slide side. I wouldn't move the trailer with the slide out. I think that is asking for trouble. I also stabilize the trailer before moving the slide. This will help some with the suspension settling on the side with the slide. I usually have to readjust the stabilizers on the opposite side after I'm done. We originally had a trailer with no slides and it did take a few trips to figure out how much we needed on different sites. Now, when I get it level I just move it up one more block and I'm good.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Please don't put stabilizers under your slides. Ever.
Agreed. That IS asking for trouble.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #20

We had a large Jayco TT years ago that would do that.

I think it was a 338 something, it had the fridge, stove, pantry, couch and cabinets in one slide and the bed in another. More than once I had to go outside and help get the big slide started coming in it was so heavy.

Anyway when we leveled then put out the slides it was almost an inch low on that side. To solve the problem we just made sure it was almost an inch high on that side when we leveled. We put the stabilizers out like normal and then put the slides and we ended up at level.

If your gun shoots an inch low aim an inch high.

Tags
leveling, slide, slide out