Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #1

Exclamation Looking to purchase my 1st 26TBSS - HELP!

i'm from fresno, ca .. i'm looking to purchase a 2013 26TBSS as my 1st trailer ..

i have no clue where to start .. what to ask for .. what's needed .. how not to get ripped off and when the best time buy buy at low prices etc . . . .

i have found a price of $17k "loaded" from bestrv in Turlock ca and here at fun cars rv in fresno ..

Any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

thanks!!

559RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

I purchased the 26 tbss from best rv in Turlock. I bought it February 2013, it is a 2013. I checked their website a couple days ago. If your absolutely sold on this model. I believe they offered the 2014 power pkg. incl. model for a little over 18.?check it out .Lmk if you have ?? we enjoy ours it is nice for the price.
hfinn60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Best RV has a pretty bad reputation on the Internet.
do a search on them, on any RV forums and you may decide to buy from someone else.

i shopped there back in 2006 and, by the way i was treated, i refuse to buy anything from them, even a $1 part.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

I've heard rv dealers are all bad when it comes to any or all warranty issues .. I just wanna be sure I can get every option included when buying .. best rv offered me $16500 for the 26tbss full power option ..
Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Site Team

i suggest getting some prices from places like RVW or RVDirect and compare.

that's what i did and found that they were $5000 cheaper on a HTT with a MSRP of only $20k.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #6

Hmm ok .. Ill try and search those places .. I'd like to walk away with that TT for $17000 total though I'd be very happy!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #7

16500. seems like a very good price. I haven't had any problem with the dealership. I didn't deal with them in 2006 . I had looked them up on BBB. At the time their issues were resolved. That,s better than I payed. Is that with the leveling jacks? tv?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #8

I bought a the same camper back in Feb full power and best deal in Georgia was 17500. Love it so far, only issues have been having to get the roof replaced due to a tree falling thru it. Now dealing with the dealer on stuff they messed up on.

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
2014 Ram 1500 Express CC
2013 Days camped 13
2014 Days camped 14
racecar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559RDP View Post
I've heard rv dealers are all bad when it comes to any or all warranty issues .. I just wanna be sure I can get every option included when buying .. best rv offered me $16500 for the 26tbss full power option ..
I purchased a 26tbss from Best RV in February, 16800 no power option. I have not had any service needs so I don't know how they are on that but if you buy from them negotiate the battery and full propane tanks in the deal that is extra. Lock your wallet in your truck during your walk through because they include a trip through the store, tell you installation is free for all you buy during the walk through then jack the prices up. I was straight out lied to when told my drain hose from my old trailer wouldn't work on the new trailer, then they tried to charge me double for batteries when I wanted to go with 6 volts ($300 each).
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #10

Nice stuff .. this is the exact info I am looking for!! .. I am going to start a little checklist with what you guys have provided so far! .. I'll start with the battery's and full propane tanks! .. Anyone else have any good 1st buyer tips!?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #11

My Price included batteries and propane.

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
2014 Ram 1500 Express CC
2013 Days camped 13
2014 Days camped 14
racecar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #12

Haha .. So this battery thing, I would assume this powers the fridge and all the power options .. what type of batteries should I ask for and what should I turn down battery wise?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Newbie 5th Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559RDP View Post
i'm from fresno, ca .. i'm looking to purchase a 2013 26TBSS as my 1st trailer ..

i have no clue where to start .. what to ask for .. what's needed .. how not to get ripped off and when the best time buy buy at low prices etc . . . .

i have found a price of $17k "loaded" from bestrv in Turlock ca and here at fun cars rv in fresno ..

Any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

thanks!!

I am ordering my first RV today... I was surprised how difficult it was to find the right one for me and how difficult it was to find a good dealer to buy it from. So here is what I ended up doing.

1) I asked people here since I know I wanted a Forest River as they are the highest rated especially for the price... or best value for the quality.

2) I used google to search for the model I found... RVtrader is good to use for price comparisons and to find dealers that have the model your looking for in stock.

3) Google the BBB online website and search for your dealers name and check for complaints.

im me if you want the name of the dealer that saved me over 20k on my 2014 2860DS.. he is in Ohio but they can deliver anywhere.. most dealers can.
hpaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Denver, CO

Typically, they will give you 12volt Interstate "deep cycle" marine RV batteries. They will be adequate, if you are not drydocking for to long, and mostly hooked up to power. The only other option is to negotiate the batteries out and buy your own real deep cycles like Trojans or similar. This would be a good idea if you are drydocked alot. The batteries run the electronics for the Refrig (powered by propane when not plugged in), the lights and the furnace. Big power user is the furnace and the OEM lights can use a suprizing amount of power if they are not LED's. Led's use next to nothing.

Good luck in your search and deal making.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #15

more good and great info guys! .. i'll search the BBB .. find quotes from RV trader .. i'll be sure to note about the batteries .. i'll bring up the LED powering also ..

keep the info coming!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #16

So here is the option package on the trailer I am looking at .. is there anything missing??

2013 WILDWOOD 26TBSS • BERRY DΙCOR • E-Z LUBE W/ RADIAL TIRES • FULL EXTENSION BALL BEARING DRAWER GUIDES • CENTRAL SWITCH COMMAND CENTER RADIUS ENTRY DOOR • POT & PAN DRAWER UNDER ONE DINETTE SEAT • (2) OUTSIDE SPEAKERS • FREE DUCTED AC W/QUICK COOL • VINYL TUB SURROUND (VBS) • DRAWER UNDER JIFFY SOFA ON BALL BEARING GLIDES • XL GRAB HANDLE • HEATED & ENCLOSED FRESH WATER TANK • COACH-NET ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE • 6 GAL G/E DSI WATER HEATER • “MADE IN THE USA” DECAL • WALLPAPER BORDER (LIVING ROOM)/KITCHEN BACKSPLASH • 30# LP BOTTLES • SPARE TIRE & CARRIER • SKYLIGHT OVER TUB • CABLE TV W/ EXTERIOR PATIO CONNECTION • TUB SURROUND • STORAGE PLUS DOOR • ELECTRIC AWNING • POWER STAB JACKS • TOUCH SCREEN REMOTE (OPERATES: SLIDE, JACKS, AWNING, LIGHT) • FOOT FLUSH TOILET • STAINLESS STEEL APP • RVIA SEAL
Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #17

Everything on the list is pretty standard for this model except the power package, I think you are getting a good buy if you are still at the previous stated amount. You haven't said anything about what your tow vehicle (TV) is, you want to make sure your TV is able to handle the weight of this trailer (TT) this is the exact same model as I have and after I loaded my camping gear, 44 gallons of water, I am pulling over 7,000 pounds with the tongue weight over 900 pounds. You want to go over the weight handling capacities of your TV, we see over and over where people go get a new TT before realizing now they have to buy a truck to pull it with because the current TV won't handle it. Ohh!! this reminds me, the Best RV internet listing for my unit showed 57 gallon fresh water capacity and the people were saying 55 and the shop person said 50. They were all wrong now whether they are doing this on purpose to help make the sell I don't know but the water capacity is 44 gallons and don't let them tell you any different you can verify this on the Forrest River web site check the specs of this trailer.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #18

And I want a new......Open up that wallet!

Congrats on the decision for an RV! There are many great benefits. Your option list seems complete. I did not get electric stab jacks, paid extra for an electric jack to raise travel trailer.
After the sale as a new 1st time buyer such as myself, the out of pocket list begins. These are items needed to hook up and start enjoying your new TT.
A new hitch for your tow vehicle. Maybe a weight distribution Hitch with anti sway bar.
A Hitch pin or lock
For inside your tow vehicle electric trailer brake switch.
Possible tow mirrors.
You may want locks for the hitch and the trailer tongue. I did.
A sewer drainage kit. I bought the thetford smart drain at the dealers. Maybe a little pricey but I am happy with the quality.
Chemical for your black tank.
A water hose for fresh drinking water. Use this to hook up to campsite, city water, fill your fresh water tank.
let,s Continue...
Old 08-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #19

Open up your wallet Part 2

A green water hose. Use this to wash things outdoors. Bikes, buckets, Ice chest etc. at camp. These hoses need to be 25' to 50' long.
A water pressure coupler. Use this on your hose when you hook TT to city water line or the campsite.
A heavy duty grounded extension cord. Possibly need an adapter. I use an adapter at home to hook up to power.
A roof vent cover to protect your bathroom vent. Installed outside roof.

Now some fun stuff!
How about new sheets for that nice queen bed. A blanket some pillows.
A 32" tv dvd combo.
New kitchen ware.
Drip coffee maker.
Toaster.
Maybe new lawn chairs.
An outdoor rug for under your awning.
An outdoor table.

As a new owner within 6 weeks I spent IDK maybe $1500. to $2000.
No huge deal but it was kinda unexpected how much I needed. And you seem to always see something else to bring.

Have a super fun time!! Go camping!! Stress free!! Take your time!

Huck.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #20

559RDP hows the hunt going? You bringing that TBSS home yet?