Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #1

Mice in TT

Dear fellow campers, I know I read advice on this topic some time back but can't remember what suggestions some of you gave. Our problem, we live on an acre and a half of woods where our "09 29BHBS has been parked on a concrete pad. We were cleaning out for winterization and to take to dealer for an electrical issue that is under warranty. We discovered mice had gotten into our TT. How do we keep them out and help prevent them from getting in there over the winter? Any suggestions any of you might have would be greatly appreciated before the critters chew anything important! Do those electronic devices work?
kcalvin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Site Team

My opinion is that the electronic devices don't work. The best thing to do is make sure you have all the places of access sealed. Put the bronze scrubbing pads around penetrations. They don't like chewing on those. I'd recommend keeping a few boxes of D-Con around too.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Master of the obvious

With every unit i've owned i climb underneath and into all the spaces i can reach and use that spray foam stuff to close up ANY spaces especially around where pipes enter the unit. Also I don't know if it really works but i put BOUNCE drier sheets in every compartment, if it doesn't work it sure smells nice. I have never had mice enter my units and i store mine in New Hampshire in an open field.

Good luck!
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Master of the obvious

Sorry, i forgot to mention. REMOVE ALL FOOD ITEMS!!!!
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Type MICE in the search box here.
There are a bunch of suggestions and advice there.
I'm not trying to be a smartie...but you may not get all the suggestions that have been previously been offered. We had a mouse problem, and so far they've stayed out. Good luck.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #6

Mice would be bad news, mainly because they can chew up the wiring underneath, or in any cabinet, and it could be a huge problem to try to fix it. We have our trailer parked under a live oak in the deep woods and our main problem was carpenter ants (see my long humorous post on that).

So, we sealed up the power cable entry with foam and we started putting two boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax around our 37 ft. travel trailer every other weekend. It looks strange enough, but it keeps out the bugs for sure. Must keep out the mice, too, as we have not had a problem, and since the slideout is extended they could get in if they wanted to.

The prior owner must've had a mouse problem, as they sealed every pipehole in the floor (except the one under the shower, which they missed), and they always used the fabric softener sheet trick, which they recommended to us. I think the Borax works better, since it keeps away ants, termites and other bugs, too.
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #7

Don't believe the "Fabric softener" trick. If you believe it I have a rock I will sell you that keeps elephants out of your yard. Works great! Anyway a friend of ours on one outing this last summer was having a heck of a time with mice and tried the fabric sheets at the advice of one of our other friends. When he removed an access panel the next day he found they had made their nest with them and he now had mountain fresh scented mice that were very soft.

The advice to seal up any and all access points is your best bet, besides that, get a cat or maybe a mini dachshund (ours loves to kill mice)...
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #8

Yes, or maybe even a pet snake - if that doesn't creep you out.
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Don't believe the "Fabric softener" trick. If you believe it I have a rock I will sell you that keeps elephants out of your yard. Works great! Anyway a friend of ours on one outing this last summer was having a heck of a time with mice and tried the fabric sheets at the advice of one of our other friends. When he removed an access panel the next day he found they had made their nest with them and he now had mountain fresh scented mice that were very soft.

The advice to seal up any and all access points is your best bet, besides that, get a cat or maybe a mini dachshund (ours loves to kill mice)...
Man that must be one Big Rock!

We remove all food from the coach. Spray foamed the openings and use bronze pads around the power cord and so far the mieces have stayed away. We also have the electronic devices, not sure if they work, but I haven't seen a mouse or any evidence of one so maybe everything combined is why they're not moving in.

It's a good thing NWJeeper has that rock. It's not a pretty sight seeing elephants running scared from the mice.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Man that must be one Big Rock!

It's a good thing NWJeeper has that rock. It's not a pretty sight seeing elephants running scared from the mice.
Hey, I got 1 of those rocks, and I haven't had a elephant in my yard since I moved here. It works great.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #11

Moth balls seem to help, my sister has an old trailer she only uses for about six weeks in the summer and stored for the rest of the year. When we forgot the moth balls she had mice, when we use them no problems.
dlc49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #12

I also have on and off mouse problems....My camper sits on a pad in the forest and I have been thinking I might take a bleachwater solution and spray the pad down.. to at least clean it and hopefully repel the mice. I am planing on just using a pump spayer as I have no electric where my camper sits. I don't like to use decon as it might kill other animals or the mice could die in the camper and I doubt that would be good. Good luck and let us know what works for you!

steve
Old 09-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #13

Oh, and I am thinking I might make some owl nest boxes! Just 1 owl could take care of all the critters in no time! Of course the hooting might make us nutty but I think its worth the effort.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
There are a bunch of MICE threads on the forum. Heck, I started some of them!

My defenses seem to be working....but you never know.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #15

Put a cat in the TT....J/k..LOL

2006 Dodge laramie 5.9 CTD
northstarfire0693 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood