Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #1

New England Trip

We are planning to go in August to NE. We plan to take our pets with us (dog & cat). Our camper is new and we are newbies. We have AC, however, I’m concerned about leaving the pets for 4-5 hrs to go site seeing, etc. Just wanted to know if my concerns are warranted and to get general feedback. Thanks in advance!
captain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

I had a "shy" dog. She would bark her fool head off the one time we left her in a hotel room (pet friendly). Management left us a note to not do that again. Took her camping, and she chewed up the blinds that had been closed because she couldn't see out.
I would say that as long as there is food, water, heat/AC you should be ok, as long as they deal well with strange surroundings.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
Camper

Some campgrounds allow dogs but specifically state in the rules that the dog can not be left alone on the site or in the trailer. Check the fine print.

As for leaving the pets in the trailer unattended, my biggest concern would be if the A/C went out on a hot sunny day. The trailer would heat up just like a car in the hot summer sun. When we took our dog we went knowing someone would have to stay with him at all times. This curtailed our site seeing as a family but the dog is a member of the family.

On the other side of the coin, I have witnessed dogs being left alone in the trailers all day long. Not only have I witnessed it but I have had to listen to it as well.

I also have a friend who's dog will bark to no end unless someone is there with her. They choose when to take her and when to board her.

It is a choice you have to make based on your dog and your situation.

Maybe leave a note with your cell number on the door in the event someone needs to contact you about the dog while you are away?

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #4

We travel with two daughters, two dogs, two cats and two birds. (Yes, we are a roving zoo).

There is nothing worse than being in a campground all day with a couple of dogs barking their fool heads off and I don't want to be known as "that" neighbor.

We do leave our fifth wheel and leave all the animals in it.....at times. If we are going site-seeing, we will check with the rangers/camp host or a friendly neighbor to let them know where we are going and about how long we will be gone. We leave our phone number so we can be contacted if there is a problem. We try to take our dogs, if at all possible. There are some places that dogs do not need to be, so we don't take them. They are pretty good sized dogs, so we can't just shove them in a purse like some people do.

If they are left at the campground, we do have them inside with plenty of water/food and with a box fan on high to cover some noise from outside. We will also leave the tv or a radio playing inside to also cover outside noise.

We have never had a problem with the power going off any time we have left them, but someone has always had our phone number to call and we have never been called. I have always asked after our return if there were any problems and have only had a problem one time in a large state park. A good size bear had come into the campground area in late afternoon and our dogs barking had warned the neighbor of something amiss. He had walked over to our camper and saw the bear coming out of the woods. He yelled and got the attention of other neighbors, who also began yelling. The bear went back into the woods. (We missed that excitement!!)

So, unless you are in the boonies where there is a known problem with the power grid, I would leave them with someone in the campground knowing they are there and use something to cover the regular campground noise with a good amount of water/food.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #5

If you are coming to New England, try to get to Bar Harbor Maine. Lots to do, dog friendly, even the buses.

We have been seasonal campers for many years now. We let people know when we were going to be away for a while. Our dog was treated to many walks and cookies while we were out for a day.

When we were still traveling, we had 2 small Rottweilers, still be dogs, about 70 pounds each. They were well behaved and not barkers. We left them inside in crates with water to drink and the A/C on high if we were going to be gone for no more than a few hours. We were always fearful of the power going out and the A/C with it. We would plan days that we would be gone all day and book them into a local kennel for the day. This was before doggie daycare was popular and had to pay overnight rates sometimes.

Sadly we no longer have any pets specifically for this reason. As we move closer to retirement and traveling in the RV, we don't want to be tied down. Our last dog died 3 years ago and it has been hard. I would not get rid of my dog to travel, but once she was gone we just decided not to get another. I really don't like those people who stuff their little dogs into a bag and call them support dogs. Good luck with your trip, New England is a beautiful place.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #6

Thank you so much, we are very excited and Bar Harbor is definitely on our must do list. We have been told about doggy daycares and will utilize those for long day excursions. We’ve only done long weekend excursions as we just got the TT last Aug., so this will be a learning experience as we will probably be gone for 2-3wks. Keep us in your prayers....lol
captain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain bill View Post
Thank you so much, we are very excited and Bar Harbor is definitely on our must do list. We have been told about doggy daycares and will utilize those for long day excursions. We’ve only done long weekend excursions as we just got the TT last Aug., so this will be a learning experience as we will probably be gone for 2-3wks. Keep us in your prayers....lol
Have a great trip. Sounds like an adventure.