Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #1

New owner of 261 bhxl question about mounting tv

Hi everyone! We just bought our 261 bhxl this weekend and really have no idea about mounting a TV in it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated
FroggyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #2

I also am wondering this.... Can I attach the mount into any spot on the wall or is it like a house where it's better if you find a stud? Are there studs in RV's?
yager024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #3

Hi, I have the same model and attached my HD TV pretty easily. I purchased the TV mounting plate from camping world (Best Buy would probably be cheaper) and mounted it above the dinning seat on the wall above it. Unless your TV is really heavy, you shouldn't have any trouble. If you can't sink the screws into a stud you might use some anchor bolts or molly screws. Mine is fine and seems to be sturdy enough after a trip down the freeway for an hour. Good luck.

Are your TV/DVD outlets under the upper cabinet or on the wall? Mine were under the cabinet. My DVD had no sound so had to take it back to the dealer for repair. I hope yours works the first time.

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice! My hook ups are on the wall beside the cabinet. I don't know why it bothers me so much more putting a hole in the wall in it then in the house but it sure does! LOL Maybe cause it's new and Shiney
Old 03-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #5

There should be a sticker showing the mount point. My 261bhxl has a generous block of wood back there.
brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyMama View Post
Thanks for the advice! My hook ups are on the wall beside the cabinet. I don't know why it bothers me so much more putting a hole in the wall in it then in the house but it sure does! LOL Maybe cause it's new and Shiney
Check for a backer board on your mounting wall. You can do this by tapping the wall with the butt of a screw driver or a butter knife handle and listening for a more solid sound. And, by firmly pushing in with your fingers. The paneling will give, but the backer board will not. If there is a backer, it should run horizontal and be about 6" wide minimum. If you have wood grain paneling, you can also drive a very thin finishing nail where you suspect the backer. If it meets resistance after the first 1/8th inch, it's your backer.If it is not, it will go with minimum resistance. You can use a color match Crayon type stick to fill the hole if necessary.

If the hook ups are on the same wall as you plan to mount the TV, one of the plates should have a combination 12v and coax. There is no box behind it. The plate is mounted with two screws. Once the plate is loose, it can be pulled away far enough to get a small mirror into the wall to see the backer. I used DW's small round compact mirror to get a look. You may need a small light source as well, like a small LED flashlight.

If the backer runs directly above your opening, slide a measuring tape straight up until it bumps the bottom of the backer. You may have to stick a finger inside the wall to keep the tape close to the inside of the panel. Certain that you have touched the bottom of the backer, take the measurement and write it down. From the out side, measure up from the same point and mark it with a piece of masking tape. That is the bottom of the backer. Measuring from the ceiling down to the tape marker, this dimension can be used away from the plate to the desired location. Your TV mount will be above that mark. Use the small nail method above to make certain.

If all else fails, the dealer or factory should also be able to guide you.

PS: It bothers all of us not knowing what's on the other side.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the info very helpful!
yager024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #8

Yes, I believe I felt the backer board when I installed the TV mounting plate, come to think about it. I just tapped on the wall board and noticed the change in sound. Great help Pen Joe.

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:16 PM   #9

Thank you so much! I went out and was able to tell there is a plate in the wall. I guess that's why the stud finder was acting so weird! Now waiting for the bracket I ordered from Amazon to get here and leg the fun begin.

Tags
mount