Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 08:12 AM   #1

New to the RV world - 263 BHXL TT

We just picked up our new Wildwood X-Lite 263BHXL on Friday, and are taking our first trip this weekend, May 12. We are only going about an hour away from home, in case something happens and we need to come back home. Any pointers on what I should watch for with this being our first trip? Anything that I need to make sure gets done? I would love any suggestions from people who do this on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
benrammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats on your new Wildwood X-Lite 263BHXL. Good decision to stay close to home on your maiden voyage for the reasons you stated. Make sure you have a water pressure regulator that is hooked up between the campground water supply and your water hose. Good wheel chocks will help stabilize the camper. Have fun this weekend!!!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrammes View Post
We just picked up our new Wildwood X-Lite 263BHXL on Friday, and are taking our first trip this weekend, May 12. We are only going about an hour away from home, in case something happens and we need to come back home. Any pointers on what I should watch for with this being our first trip? Anything that I need to make sure gets done? I would love any suggestions from people who do this on a regular basis.

We just returned from our first trip out, spent two days at a local campsite on the beach 15 minutes from our house, 2 days wasn't long enough, lol. The one thing I did while there was made a list of things we needed for the next trip like grilling utensils ( the only thing hubby was in charge of) , work gloves , a couple serving trays , a big umbrella would of been nice as our site got the late afternoon/ evening sun despite the awning. I packed way too much food so next time I'll try to plan my meals better . Hmmm....i can't think of anything else at the moment but this board is awesome but I'm sure others will chime in. Have a great time!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #4

x2 on the water pressure regulator. Also, blocks for leveling in case you are on sand or dirt. If you are going to be on a slab you probably won't have to worry about it. Most important is to bring a large piece of paper and a pen so that you can start your wish list. You are going to see other campers and see things that you want and just by living in it you are going to constantly say, "Oh I wish I had .....". Congrats on the camper and you are going to have a blast. Since you have bunks I assume you have kids, and they are going to absolutely love it. Mine do. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
x2 on the water pressure regulator. Also, blocks for leveling in case you are on sand or dirt. If you are going to be on a slab you probably won't have to worry about it. Most important is to bring a large piece of paper and a pen so that you can start your wish list. You are going to see other campers and see things that you want and just by living in it you are going to constantly say, "Oh I wish I had .....". Congrats on the camper and you are going to have a blast. Since you have bunks I assume you have kids, and they are going to absolutely love it. Mine do. Good luck.
I sooo agree, even though ours was stocked with everything when we bought it there were still things other campers had that I want like a small folding table for just 4 , the picnic tables there were too big for us and besides they were old and warped, lol, I also want to get 2 of those zero gravity chairs,
Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Welcome and congrats on your new Wildwood X-Lite 263BHXL. Good decision to stay close to home on your maiden voyage for the reasons you stated. Make sure you have a water pressure regulator that is hooked up between the campground water supply and your water hose. Good wheel chocks will help stabilize the camper. Have fun this weekend!!!
Water pressure regulator?? Is that something that will give better pressure in the rv? Lol, ours was horrible, hubbie was fine with taking a shower in the rv but with my thick hair there's no way I would of been able to was mine in the shower,
Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #7

Really nice rig.

I suggest spending the day or night if you can in your driveway. Cook a meal and do your normal ready routine. If you need it get it from the house and keep it in the trailer. Buy new for the house later.

Sanitize water tanks if you can before you go. If not bring bottled water to cook/drink until you can.

X2 on pressure regulator mine saved me first trip.

Same on pen/paper. We had to get many things and I brought everything.

Would suggest an EMS as well to protect your investment.

Use everything (heater a.c. oven shower) once to make sure you know how to use it and that it works.

Sockets for water heater anode if not inserted already.

Extra pins for hitch. Sucks if you misplace one and cannot get out.

Slinky to dump with

2. Water hoses for 1 for hookup and 1 for clean out if using full hookups otherwise 1 works for now.

Check campground and dump rules. Sometimes you need slinky support or threaded or donut ends for hose.

Make sure you have right power hook ups and cords. If you have 50amps get a 30amp adaptor to be safe.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcruizen16 View Post
Water pressure regulator?? Is that something that will give better pressure in the rv? Lol, ours was horrible, hubbie was fine with taking a shower in the rv but with my thick hair there's no way I would of been able to was mine in the shower,
A water pressure regulator won't give you more/better water pressure. The plumbing (lines & connectors) inside an RV isn't like the plumbing in a house. Too much pressure may put too much stress on the connections and cause a leak or worse, a blow out.

If you have low pressure check the screen at the input connection for your water hose. It might have gotten clogged up and needs to be cleaned/replaced. Do the same with the screen on the shower head and all the faucets for that matter.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #9

Make sure slides are in, the antenna is down, steps are up, interior doors closed, secure shower door, check tire pressures, make sure brake cable is hooked up when hitch up, make sure sewer valves are closed, adjust mirrors, test the brakes before going on the road, check propane tanks are full, need blocking to place under stabilizers, you will need entry rugs, an exterior area rug is pleasant to have, misc tools a plus, a2x6 5 ft long in case you need to level side to side the stabilizers are not jacks, other essentials comfortable chairs, towels, wash rags, water hoses, sewer dump hose, cable tv cable, pots pans, paper plates, we use an electric heater to save on propane but you can not use other high energy devices like coffee pot when running heater it will trip breakers, flashlight will be handy, food and most of all adult beverages
2013 35 nights, 2014 105 nights, 2015 123 nights, 2016 18 nights 🙁
Mike ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ONeill View Post
Make sure slides are in, the antenna is down, steps are up, interior doors closed, secure shower door, check tire pressures, make sure brake cable is hooked up when hitch up, make sure sewer valves are closed, adjust mirrors, test the brakes before going on the road, check propane tanks are full, need blocking to place under stabilizers, you will need entry rugs, an exterior area rug is pleasant to have, misc tools a plus, a2x6 5 ft long in case you need to level side to side the stabilizers are not jacks, other essentials comfortable chairs, towels, wash rags, water hoses, sewer dump hose, cable tv cable, pots pans, paper plates, we use an electric heater to save on propane but you can not use other high energy devices like coffee pot when running heater it will trip breakers, flashlight will be handy, food and most of all adult beverages
Haaa, haaa, that last item was number one on my list. Yes, the rug....always wondered why everyone had the outdoor rug, now I know why, especially camping at the beach, also get a plastic bin to hold shoes before you go in the rv, another thing I need to get, I used a box this trip. Not very attractive sitting out next to a nice new rv, lol
Old 05-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:

Congratulations on your Wildwood X-Lite.

For what it's worth, before we left on our first outing (which was about 15 miles from home), I rounded up all of the literature that I had been given during our walk thru and put it all in a 3 ring binder along with my insurance papers, Coach-net paperwork, etc. There had just been way too much stuff for me to digest in our walk thru so this put everthing in one spot for reference. I also looked at several checklists people have done and then made my own (see attached) which went into the front of the binder for a quick reference when leaving the house, getting to camp and then the return. These come in handy as a refresher to not miss something basic. I tried to keep it simple and they have saved me more than once. But on one trip when I did fail to look the checklist over when leaving home, I forgot to remove my cheap yellow wheel chocks so one got crushed.

Like others said too, take paper and pencil to make notes for next time.
Stay safe.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HOME & CAMP CHECKLISTS.pdf (360.3 KB, 58 views)
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #12

Congratulations on your new rig. Living in Northern Ontario I envy your start to the season. We'll get there! Most important thing to take is a sense of humour. Relax and have fun!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #13

Sense of humor, I have!! We are looking forward to the trip. Still a bit cold here in Wisconsin, but we want to get out. Your time will come soon!!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
Congratulations on your Wildwood X-Lite.

For what it's worth, before we left on our first outing (which was about 15 miles from home), I rounded up all of the literature that I had been given during our walk thru and put it all in a 3 ring binder along with my insurance papers, Coach-net paperwork, etc. There had just been way too much stuff for me to digest in our walk thru so this put everthing in one spot for reference. I also looked at several checklists people have done and then made my own (see attached) which went into the front of the binder for a quick reference when leaving the house, getting to camp and then the return. These come in handy as a refresher to not miss something basic. I tried to keep it simple and they have saved me more than once. But on one trip when I did fail to look the checklist over when leaving home, I forgot to remove my cheap yellow wheel chocks so one got crushed.

Like others said too, take paper and pencil to make notes for next time.
Stay safe.

Thank you. These are great checklists. I appreciate it.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Really nice rig.

I suggest spending the day or night if you can in your driveway. Cook a meal and do your normal ready routine. If you need it get it from the house and keep it in the trailer. Buy new for the house later.

Sanitize water tanks if you can before you go. If not bring bottled water to cook/drink until you can.

X2 on pressure regulator mine saved me first trip.

Same on pen/paper. We had to get many things and I brought everything.

Would suggest an EMS as well to protect your investment.

Use everything (heater a.c. oven shower) once to make sure you know how to use it and that it works.

Sockets for water heater anode if not inserted already.

Extra pins for hitch. Sucks if you misplace one and cannot get out.

Slinky to dump with

2. Water hoses for 1 for hookup and 1 for clean out if using full hookups otherwise 1 works for now.

Check campground and dump rules. Sometimes you need slinky support or threaded or donut ends for hose.

Make sure you have right power hook ups and cords. If you have 50amps get a 30amp adaptor to be safe.

How do you sanitize the water tanks?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Thank you. These are great checklists. I appreciate it.
I saw on the forum one time that not everyone drains the faucets and low point drains when leaving the campgrounds so I no longer do that. I've just left it on my checklest. And the reason these are so basic is that I find when things become routine, things can get overlooked.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #17

There are several detailed threads that cover well. If you have questions you can search there and get more details. Here are the basics.

1/4 cup of bleach per 15gal of water and fill tank with water.
Run all faucets until you smell bleach (make sure you get water heater as well and count that usually 6gal).
Let it sit for 24hrs and
drain tanks (fresh and hot water) and low point drains.

You will likely need to dump your grey tank before camping unless you have sewer where you are camping. It takes 6 gallons to get through hot water tank unless you are empty when starting. Then no need as it will be run until water comes out.

If you have full hook ups you could do at the campground but you are stuck with bottled water for drinking and cooking first day. You would also want to rinse plates after washing in it to get bleach off.

If you do it at campground I bet someone nearby may be willing to answer questions too. Most campers are very friendly.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #18

This is a small matter, but something I did with our 1st trailer on our 1st outing. And it still bugs me. Parked on a asphalt pad that was several inches thick. Got leveled, chocked, etc., and disconnected. Then put out the entry stairs. I had positioned the trailer such that the bottom step was right at the edge of the asphalt pad. The normal height of the step plus the extra few inches of the pad, made that last step out or first step in a real mother. Didn't want to hook back up, break everything down & set up all over. So just lived with it for a few days. But never again. I account for that now.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
This is a small matter, but something I did with our 1st trailer on our 1st outing. And it still bugs me. Parked on a asphalt pad that was several inches thick. Got leveled, chocked, etc., and disconnected. Then put out the entry stairs. I had positioned the trailer such that the bottom step was right at the edge of the asphalt pad. The normal height of the step plus the extra few inches of the pad, made that last step out or first step in a real mother. Didn't want to hook back up, break everything down & set up all over. So just lived with it for a few days. But never again. I account for that now.

Tuckerdog1

[emoji106] Good tip
Old 05-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
There are several detailed threads that cover well. If you have questions you can search there and get more details. Here are the basics.

1/4 cup of bleach per 15gal of water and fill tank with water.
Run all faucets until you smell bleach (make sure you get water heater as well and count that usually 6gal).
Let it sit for 24hrs and
drain tanks (fresh and hot water) and low point drains.

You will likely need to dump your grey tank before camping unless you have sewer where you are camping. It takes 6 gallons to get through hot water tank unless you are empty when starting. Then no need as it will be run until water comes out.

If you have full hook ups you could do at the campground but you are stuck with bottled water for drinking and cooking first day. You would also want to rinse plates after washing in it to get bleach off.

If you do it at campground I bet someone nearby may be willing to answer questions too. Most campers are very friendly.

Thank you. I will do this before we go.