Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #1

Smile New to TT's and Wildwood

My husband and I purchased a 2011 Wildwood 26TBSS Travel Trailer this week (Merry Christmas!). We have never bought anything like this before nor have we ever been out camping or "rving".

My question right now is, ours comes with 2 30# propane tanks, and if we were to use it at a site w/o hookups, how many days would our two propane tanks last us? Would the water tanks (fresh, grey, black) run out before the propane?

Also, what experience has anyone had with a "Slide topper" The dealer suggests one but we do not know if it is worth it. The dealer says it helps prevent UV damage and tears, but the tech told us during our demo if we just do not park under trees with it and make sure the top is clear of branches or debris before we retract the slide, we should be OK. Is a slide topper worth it?
journeywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Welcome to the Forum!

There are many threads and opinions about slide toppers.
On the green menu bar there is a selection for "SEARCH"

Enter "slide topper" and you will find many discussions on the pros and cons. There are both aplenty.

As to your propane tanks. It totally depends on the weather. The furnace is a propane hog. The refridgerator comes in second. If you are w/o hookups WATCH YOUR BATTERY. The furnace pulls 6 amps and your RV battery most likely won't last long if your furnace runs all night.

Your black tank should last 3 - 4 days with 2 people and the gray depends on the number of showers. Our gray fills faster than our black.

With a generator, full fresh water tank, and full propane you should be good for a weekend. Maybe not a long weekend; but a regular one for sure.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeywife View Post
My husband and I purchased a 2011 Wildwood 26TBSS Travel Trailer this week (Merry Christmas!). We have never bought anything like this before nor have we ever been out camping or "rving".

My question right now is, ours comes with 2 30# propane tanks, and if we were to use it at a site w/o hookups, how many days would our two propane tanks last us? Would the water tanks (fresh, grey, black) run out before the propane?
Also, what experience has anyone had with a "Slide topper" The dealer suggests one but we do not know if it is worth it. The dealer says it helps prevent UV damage and tears, but the tech told us during our demo if we just do not park under trees with it and make sure the top is clear of branches or debris before we retract the slide, we should be OK. Is a slide topper worth it?
First off to the forum and the world of camping!

Obviously how long your propane tanks will last depends on a lot of things like, how cold is it and how much your furnace is running, how much hot water are you using and how much cooking are you doing? All of these use gas. I can tell you that I have always had hook ups, but when camping in cold weather (30's at night) and running the furnace, cooking all meals inside and using the electric side of the water heater, I easily use less than 3/4's of 1 tank on a 3 day trip.

Also how long your tanks last depends on how well you manage, number of people camping and your tank sizes. I've always used hook ups, so I haven't had to manage water from my fresh water tank, but I have had to manage my grey (60 gals) and black (32 gals) tanks when not at full hook up sites. My wife and I with a couple of grand kids can go for about 4 days without really trying too hard and probably a day or two longer if we're careful.

Slide toppers are a personal choice. Some don't like the noise they make in high wind conditions or having to somehow support them so rain won't pool on them. Most seem to like them though. You don't have to climb on top to sweep leaves and such off when your ready to run the slides in. I have never had them and it hasn't ever been too much of a hassle for me. I do camp under trees and never had a problem.

I hope this helps you.
Good luck and happy camping!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Unless you are using the furnace while camping in 20 degree temperatures, running out of propane should be last thing to worry about. Your will probably fill up your waste tanks long before you run out of propane. The fresh water tank will be empty. You batteries will probably be dead, unless you are using a generator for charging.

I have refilled my propane tanks 5 times in the 2 years that we have had our Surveyor. We do most of our cooking on the gas stove and oven. Most of the time we are dry camping so the fridge and water heater are using gas. We use the furnace when needed, although when dry camping we use a Big Buddy Heater because of battery use. When we have cold nights here at home (in the teens or lower) I will run the furnace on low hopefully to keep the vinyl floor from cracking. It is surprising to me just how long a propane tank will last.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Grape Escape

Welome to the forum.
Keep reading all the tips on these forums. Great place to learn the tricks and how not to do things.
We run our water heater strictly on hydro as we always go for at least electric hookups. Use propane only for BBQ and stove and the odd furnace run to take the chill off cold mornings. Might have used 1 30# tank all year.
We also run an electric fireplace and ceramic cube heater for cooler days if needed.
As for the slide toppers try without first and remember to climb on roof or if you carry portable stepladder sweep or dry off slide roof before breaking camp.
It's all I have done for 5 years and works for us.
I find it a chore washing my awning and attempting to keep it dry and clean so as to prevent mildem etc. Can't imagine looking after slide topper or toppers which to me are just a shortened awning so there must be some maint. required
Most of all enjoy the camping experience
We love it
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #6

Oh right welcome and Happy Camping to come
bigdaddy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #7

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Slide-Toppers.......the way to go !! Propane is like everyone said Its up to you !! Cold night...wifes cold Temp set at 74-degree's 2 days. Buy 2- electric Heaters problem solved !! It really up to your own use.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum, We have a 26tbss and love it. We do not have slide toppers. When I camp, I carry a ladder and check the top of the slide before returning the slideout into the camper. I have found water pooled on top of the slideout and removed it with a towel. As long as you check the slide before you slide it in, you should have no problems. I hope you enjoy your new camper.
wwleowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeywife View Post
Also, what experience has anyone had with a "Slide topper" The dealer suggests one but we do not know if it is worth it.
My current TT has a slide topper and it was my first experience with one. This is TT #4 for me and I think the slide topper is fantastic. I always hated having to worry about leaves, rain, etc., when bringing in the slide on previous rigs.

I will note though that my dealer did not get the tension quite right and it does sag in the middle and collect some water. When the slide goes in the water drains off, but then the topper is rolled up wet. For long term storage that could be a problem. So at delivery, make sure the tension adjustment was done correctly.

Also, it adds 4"-5" to your width. If you have any clearance issues (like a storage building door), that might be something to keep in mind.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #10

on my first trailer, i had one 40 gal grey and one 40 gal black. the gray would make it for 2 showers and 3 rounds of dishes. propane i used for water heat (no elec option), frig when traveling, and cooking. i would camp probably 60 days/yr. i would fill 1 propane bottel each year.

new trailer (2002) has 2 grey tanks. went streight from the dealer to a campground for a weekend in 25 deg weather. water heater was on gas, cooked with gas, and ran the furnace. had emptied 1 bottle over the weekend.
furnace and water heater are big users.
oh and on the two grey tanks, my wife and i make one day then the nest day i haul abt 30 gal each day. after 5 days, i'm not filling.
black water usually last 5-7 days.
we only use the trailer facilities.
i only hook up water and elect when i have to or overnight.

i installed a heatpump in the fdw hole on the current trailer and it has done the job so far. i put the frunace on a lower setting as a backup. when it really drops to the lower 30's, the heatpump is using a heater strip only and isn't much help. bottom line, propane consumption is greatly reduced.
i would also recoment a screen over the frunace i/o (exterior). keeps dirt dobbers out.
the slideout covers came on mine. they are not as thick as the awning. mine are more like the old fashion pull down window shades. i would recomend them just to keep debree off the top of the slide. mine were replaced after two years because the coating started seperating from the fabric.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood