Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

New Wildwood battery dead

After driving home from dealer, ensuring there was no 12 volts being used, and putting in storage lot, the battery was dead when I checked it 2 days later. Dealer said the 35 mile drive home may not have charged it. Seems unlikely to me. So, took battery home, installed an inline disconnect for future use, and will keep it trickle charged when not in use. First trip out should tell me if I have drain. Anyone else have a similar problem?
NightFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Site Team

You also need to test if you're getting a charging current through the umbilical cord.
You may need a fuse install.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

I almost killed mine with the power jack lamp. First power jack for me. It was on for two days before I notice. I have two batteries and a master cut off switch now.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #4

Yes, I have this same problem. My Wildwood is 1 year old and I've had this problem from the day that I've bought it. I was told that the gas leak sensor has a green light on it that stays on and that runs the battery out after a few days. Hard for me to believe that, but there's nothing on at all when I store mine and 2-3 days later my battery will be dead.
Bunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

Well, I now have a new truck but only hooked up to test jack. Worked. So maybe other vehicle I traded in could h a very had a bad fuse. Will have to check it out but at least I know the jack worked with new truvk. LOL Thanx for the feedback.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Team

The 12V aux connection on the TV will do a poor job charging the battery in the Trailer as the wire gauge is not heavy enough and the run is long. You should assume that at best it will keep up with parasitic drains while traveling. Be sure to check the break-away switch. It is very easy to pull the cable and activate the brakes. This happens more than you think.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

Bunkie, for $6 @ Advance Auto Parts I purchased the battery disconnect. Won't be worrying about a drain again.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Flybob, good thought on the break - away switch. I'll be checking on that. $6 battery disconnect switch I bought will ensure my battery won't drain when in storage. LOL
Old 04-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post
Bunkie, for $6 @ Advance Auto Parts I purchased the battery disconnect. Won't be worrying about a drain again.
Got a picture? $6 is a tempting price.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #10

No pic, but it has a knob to easily unscrew it in order to remove battery terminal.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Got a picture? $6 is a tempting price.
Looks like this...walmart has em too. One end on negative battery post...the other takes your negative wire.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #12

Very similar to mine. But mine
Old 04-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #13

Very similar to mine but my TT had the screw type fitting on battery so I cut end connector off and screwed in down under the clamp fitting that was in the switch. Fits under the battery cover a little easier. Can't beat $6 price tag. LOL
Old 04-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Looks like this...walmart has em too. One end on negative battery post...the other takes your negative wire.
That's what I've been using for 9 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:06 AM   #15

Quote:
After you install it check and see what is left on yet, like your CO/Propane meter and any radios. Sometimes they wire them directly to the battery terminals. I had to put in SPST switches at each and then was able to stop the parasites that draw your battery down. As Flybob said you would have to drive a long way to be using your TV to charge the battery. At best it could be called a trickle charge. The wire is just to small to carry much current. The most important is the parasite draw. If you have a Dometic refer with the moisture control on it that will also stay on. You will be surprised how much those little things add up. don't know why they wire them like that but mine was also... also unless your brakes are so much out of adjustment if your brake away switch was activated you brakes should have locked up, so check that to.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:33 AM   #16

Same issue

I had the same issue in my 263 RL Heritage Glen. Problem solved when it was discovered the antenna power booster as left in the on position. This happened during the delivery orientation and was not shut off. This model has the switch behind the tv and can be easily overlooked.
Wind Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:34 AM   #17

gl and WD, Thanx for the comments. I will be looking into the areas you have mentioned. Too many things happened at once and TT is in storage for now. Need to do a weekend shakedown cruise at a local campground.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #18

A Dometic fridge can also be an unusual power drain. Old Dometics had a switch behind the front display panel to shut off the heating strip around the door seal while newer ones no longer have the switch.

The simple approach to eliminating this drain is to remove the control board wire that feeds the interior light and the heating strip. A more permanent fix involves removing the light and installing a shutoff switch on the power line that goes from the back of the bulb to the heater. The heater draws around 1A, so a light duty switch will work.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #19

Thanx Phil, I will be seriously looking at the new frig. Might be something there. No tv installed will check tv inputs anyway, PDIA guy liked to show what switch controlled things but wasn't too keen on turning them off. Never got a hitch manual and now must redo the hitch heights to match the new truck.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanx Phil, I will be seriously looking at the new frig. Might be something there. No tv installed will check tv inputs anyway, PDIA guy liked to show what switch controlled things but wasn't too keen on turning them off. Never got a hitch manual and now must redo the hitch heights to match the new truck.
Depending upon the hitch you may be able to find the installation manual on the ETrailer.com cite if it is one of the many that they handle

We printed out the installation instruction and studied it before we even received our new hitch.
Tom
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, wildwood