Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #1

Outlet Problem Wildwood 281QBL

Hello all. Just brought home a 2013 Wildwood 281QBL and took it out for a trial run at the local RV park.
Having an issue with the bottom (GFI) outlets and looking for an answer.
According to the "walk-through" we received before taking it off the lot, the main GFI outlet that serves all of the outlets near the floor and near water is tied into the one in the bathroom. That's understood and makes sense as it has a reset button clearly on it in case it trips. The others are only labeled.
What concerns me is that when we took our TT out this past weekend, we had no power to any of those said outlets. I tried hitting reset a couple times and briefly got a green light only for it to go off within 2 seconds. I have nothing plugged in, the AC/Heat is off and no lights turned on when doing this. Its been dry outside and dont suspect anything has gotten wet. Also, all fuses look good.
I understand I could have some sort of ground fault but not certain how to check that out.
It ticks me off cause I just got the darn TT and already have to make plans to fix something.
I am very green at this camping thing as we have moved up from towing jet skis and staying in hotels.
I have talked to my original dealer briefly but in order for them to look at it, I must tow my TT to San Diego 180 miles away.
The excitement of finding this model and having to go down there because no one else had it was fine, but to have an electrical issue just after I brought it home? Geesh.
I'd appreciate any input on how to solve this (if I can without having to take it anywhere).
I'm a newbie please go easy on me ha ha.
Eric0044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Take gfi outlet out and check for bad connections.
Might want to replace it with a new one from menards or lowes.
As they are cheap units supplied from fr.
Let us know what you find.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you have it at home, plug it in. Might have been campground related. Doubtful, but maybe. Also, the AC is on it's own circuit, and has noting to do with it. Microwave has it's own circuit. Fuses are for 12 volt only, and have nothing to do with it. Could also turn off all breakers, plug it in, verify the GFI is not tripped, with nothing plugged in, turn on the circuit for GFI ONLY, and only that one. Now see what happens. If it doesn't trip, add them one at a time. Something to try, but basically, process of elimination.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

Had the same problem in my 2012 model. Close the slide, look underneath the slide near the refrigerator. There is a molex connector that is probably unplugged. The other end comes out from behind the fridge. Plug them into each other and everything worked beautiful.

2012 Wildwood X-Lite 281QB
2011 Ford F150 XLT 5.0L 3.73
bayouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #5

Thanks everyone, I actually have it in storage but will consider all these options sometime tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #6

Well... I changed out the GFI in bathroom and got all other plugs to work except the kitchen, which is the last outlet in the chain. I'm kinda ruling out a bad outlet cause I have no power to it. I opened up the other 4 in the chain and see no signs of bad wiring. Stumped.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #7

if they are daisy chained then the connection to the one before it has to be loose.
I know they use the stab loc piece on the GFI's - if it was me I would put the wires around the screws for a more positive connection.

of course when you fix the wiring make sure the power is not plugged into the trailer.

did you check the one that has no power going to it with a meter?

This is how I remember which color goes to which screw of the outlet and has never failed me yet lol
Black wire goes to Gold screw (Black Hills Gold)
White wire goes to Silver Screw
Green wire goes to Green screw
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote