Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #1

Please help with 5th wheel power issues

Not trying to supersede the admin,
I'm in a situation where I'm having a few DRASTIC issues with my 2014 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 327RES.
1) My landing gear stopped working after my 5th wheel broke loose when I used the wrong breakaway pin after my original one was stolen. I was able to raise it enough off the camper battery, but when I went to lower it to hook it up to my 5th wheel, I had no power/movement to it!
2) If the RV battery is connected, the trailer brakes are locked.
3) The tank level lights on the control panel have never worked in the 3 months since I've had the camper.
I ABSOLUTELY love her, but I can't hardly feel comfortable traveling with all these issues.
We took it to Chain O Lakes campground last month with no real issues other than the tank level indicators not working.
I'm REALLY hoping the admin will let this be posted to the public board's. I bought it just after my loving wife of 27 years passed away, and I'm just trying to find a light at the end of the tunnel.
Much obliged,
Dave
shifkik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #2

This forum is not affiliated with Forest River. Post your problems without worry. Help is out here. When your 5th wheel came loose did it engage the safety breakaway for the brakes? Did you blow a fuse for the landing gear? Tank sensors never show correct level but should at least light up. Some one should be able to give you more help than myself.
Good luck.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #3

So sorry for your loss.
You probably should post in the Wildwood section. This is a forum for owners and the age of your unit doesn't matter.

Buying a second hand rv means that it comes with no warranty and you probably need someone with experience to give you a hand. A mobile mechanic could at least give you an estimate of what's needed and the cost. Unfortunately, most of them are a bit overwhelmed with new rvers needing help at the moment.

It sounds like you might have a battery problem. Have you had it tested?
Old 10-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
Site Team

It's in the Wildwood sub-forum.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #5

Thanks SO MUCH! I purchased a replacement pin that was too short, and even though the trailer wheels were turning, once I pulled it out to pavement (at a 45% angle) it popped loose. Kingpin put a huge dent in the bed of my 2004 2wd F350, but I was able to hoist the landing gear up under it's own battery power. When I went to lower it down, there was no movement nor sound from the electric landing gear motors. I found NO blown fuses, inline nor on the fuse panel...The issue with the trailer brakes engaging with the camper battery hooked up started after we got back from the inaugural camping trip.
I REALLY APPRECIATE any and ALL help!
Old 10-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #6

Thanks again for EVERYTHING! I'm keeping it together, but just have an extremely hard time focusing on the details.
Not sure if the admin can give you my email...if not, I'll keep checking your kind responses.
Much obliged,
Dave
Old 10-08-2020, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifkik View Post
Thanks again for EVERYTHING! I'm keeping it together, but just have an extremely hard time focusing on the details.
Not sure if the admin can give you my email...if not, I'll keep checking your kind responses.
Much obliged,
Dave
The Forum has a Personal Message system so you don't have to use personal email addresses. Much safer that way. You should have gotten a Welcome message explaining where to go to learn about the Forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:53 PM   #8

Thanks bob213, and Reverse_snowbird!
It's people like you that make the worst situations bearable.
Much obliged,
Dave
Old 10-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #9

Thanks much, bikendan!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:56 PM   #10

Thanks also, Mr. Dan!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #11

Yes. I purchased some high end GSM deep cell, RV/marine batteries.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:06 PM   #12

No sir... far as I can tell, the only inline fuse I found that even appeared to come from the landing gear checked out visually and with the fuse tester. ALL other fuses in the fuse block were the same. I spoke with a local RV repairman, and he said I more than likely burnt the landing gear motors up.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #13
Site Team

Let's try to handle these issues one at a time. See highlights below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifkik View Post
... 2014 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 327RES.

1) My landing gear stopped working after my 5th wheel broke loose when I used the wrong breakaway pin after my original one was stolen.
1A) I was able to raise it enough off the camper battery, but when I went to lower it to hook it up to my 5th wheel, I had no power/movement to it!

Did the RV actually break away from the tow vehicle? If so there's a bigger issue. Even locking up the RV brakes shouldn't cause the RV to break away from the hitch. Tell us more about how this happened?

1A) If the breakaway switch was applying power to the brakes they will drain the battery pretty quickly and running the gear to raise the RV draws a lot of current, so it's possible that the battery was just drained enough that the landing gear wouldn't run when you tried to lower it.

2) If the RV battery is connected, the trailer brakes are locked.

I suspect that the breakaway switch is applying power to the brakes. Disconnect one lead from the switch and see if the brakes still lock up.

3) The tank level lights on the control panel have never worked in the 3 months since I've had the camper.

Lets work on the other issues and once we get them figured out we'll work on the level indicators.

Much obliged,
Dave
Old 10-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #14

Thanks much! I'm headed over to work on it shortly. Will update.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #15

The trailer breaks are engaged when you connect the battery because the break-a-way switch is engaged. Push the pin back in.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #16

Thank you ALL for EVERYTHING!
With your help, and the help of a neighbor who just happens to work at Forest River, I was able to get everything checked off my list, except for the hot water heater element, which I will do tomorrow!
I can't wait to get on the road and head back east for a while!
Haven't seen my youngest since May.
Hope to see you guys in my travels!
Thanks again,
Dave
Old 10-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #17

Could you please post how you got everything fixed? It might help someone else down the road.

Happy travels!
Old 10-10-2020, 03:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Could you please post how you got everything fixed? It might help someone else down the road.

Happy travels!
X2..............when you get a minute take the time to let everyone who helped and followed your thread so we will know what it took to solve ur problems.

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 10-21-2020, 02:59 AM   #19

Yep! Got help from a neighbor who builds RVs here in one of the factories!
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2020, 03:10 AM   #20

Bikendan,
Me again. Asked landlord about installing a seperate power box w/meter on his garage that I store my 2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 327res. Would I need a 50/120 amp box for everything in the RV to work properly?
Thanks again for your advice with this and the other issues I was having!