Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewire to use factory installed solar port after a battery disconnect is installed.

Our 2018 Wildwood came equipped with the very expensive Furron Solar Prep including prep and TT mounted female jack (MSRP $225.00).

We located the correct OEM connector that allowed ANY solar panel to connect to the TT mounted solar jack. This avoided the expensive Furron solar panels. Everything good.

The solar connection worked no issues UNTIL I installed a battery disconnect on the battery. This, of course, removes battery power to the TT and stops battery drain with the TT is in storage. NOW THE ISSUE.

The factory made no provisions for the solar powering port to be connected to the battery IF A BATTERY DISCONNECT WAS INSTALLED. This made the expense solar powering port useless, as it is currently wired.

Has anyone rewire the solar port to provide a "charging path" to the battery when the battery disconnect is disengaged ?

I have climbed under the TT trying to trace the solar port to the battery via a couple of frame mounted junction boxes, but I can not see the entire wiring path.

Thanks in advance.
2021 Ford F-150, 5.0L Super Crew
Retired, Electrical Engineer
USN Vietnam Vet Brown Water Navy PBR 534 1968 - 1970
Florida.Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
Always Learning

I think that would be up to you to design into your own installation. I can see how it’s correct that a battery disconnect is good so that you can isolate the batteries entirely from the system.

I think you’d be expected to install a pair of switches to isolate the battery from the camper but not the solar battery isolating the battery entirely.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida.Traveler View Post
Our 2018 Wildwood came equipped with the very expensive Furron Solar Prep including prep and TT mounted female jack (MSRP $225.00).

We located the correct OEM connector that allowed ANY solar panel to connect to the TT mounted solar jack. This avoided the expensive Furron solar panels. Everything good.

The solar connection worked no issues UNTIL I installed a battery disconnect on the battery. This, of course, removes battery power to the TT and stops battery drain with the TT is in storage. NOW THE ISSUE.

The factory made no provisions for the solar powering port to be connected to the battery IF A BATTERY DISCONNECT WAS INSTALLED. This made the expense solar powering port useless, as it is currently wired.

Has anyone rewire the solar port to provide a "charging path" to the battery when the battery disconnect is disengaged ?

I have climbed under the TT trying to trace the solar port to the battery via a couple of frame mounted junction boxes, but I can not see the entire wiring path.

Thanks in advance.
I would merely find the solar controller and then run wires from the battery terminals on the controller directly to the battery. While at it, install a circuit breaker that can be also used as a switch in the positive wire from the solar panels.

Not a hard job if the controller is accessible. As is the battery can be disconnected while solar panels and controller are sending power. When battery is offline the solar panel feed to controller needs to be offline as well.

All can be done at the controller and being able to see the entire wire path is not necessary.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, factory, led, solar