Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 11:37 PM   #1

Roof leak/ warranty

We bought our 29vbud Wildwood 2020 in March. Just in time to park it in the driveway for the covid shutdowns. 1st time out was end of May. Since, we've been out every wknd possible. We are loving it. Skip to September 10th. Packing up getting ready for the wknd at the lake. We'd had 3 inches of rain all week. Found some water in the under storage area up front. Went inside to find the blanket, matress, topper and board wet. Water actively dripping from the overhead cabinets above the bed. The closet frame at the bottom has absorbed enough moisture it has split. Other peices of wood are bubbled or warped. Etc...
We had camping world look it over for possible warranty wk. After 6 weeks they had good news!!. Of the $4968 estimate submitted. Forest river approved $108 for repairs..
Apparently NORMAL unit maintenance , such as inspecting and resealing exterior seams including roof seams needs to be done 90 days after retail purchase. Any thoughts on how to handle this? Some of the pics seem obvious to us but maybe we dont know what we are looking for.
Thanks for your thoughts and insights. Attachment 243312Click image for larger version

Name:	20200915_191224.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	243313Click image for larger version

Name:	20200915_191306.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	243314
rs2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #2

My first thought is CW gave you a very inflated estimate. These rigs require constant maintenance even when new from the factory unlike a new car or truck. I suspect somewhere in the paperwork is the statement about inspections and maintenance. I feel for ya, but have no idea of how to proceed other then fix the leaks and move on JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #3

Six weeks and 5 grand later! Sheesh! It sounds like Forest River is advocating for simply resealing the seam.

It is a shame they are telling you that you need to reseal the seams within 90 days of purchase. I’ve seen this before, but you would think the dealer would check the unit out more thoroughly before selling it.

I would seal it myself, using EternaBond tape. Is there evidence of damage inside? Can you just dry it out?
Old 11-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #4

Every unit we have had required me touching up the Dicor roof sealant immediately after we bought it. I would rather do it myself than have a dealer do it under warranty. After that I inspect the roof at least twice a year.
Yes, the dealer should have inspected it before you took possession, but after that it is on you.
I would contact FR myself and maybe they will help you out since the dealer doesn't seem willing.
If all else fails, call your insurance. We have had them cover water damage when it wasn't an obvious lapse of maint.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Six weeks and 5 grand later! Sheesh! It sounds like Forest River is advocating for simply resealing the seam.

It is a shame they are telling you that you need to reseal the seams within 90 days of purchase. I’ve seen this before, but you would think the dealer would check the unit out more thoroughly before selling it.

I would seal it myself, using EternaBond tape. Is there evidence of damage inside? Can you just dry it out?
Yes there is. The wood frame in split from moisture and bubbling/warping on the frame of the overhead storageClick image for larger version

Name:	20200910_202028.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	243416Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_063711.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	243417Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_202044.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	243418
Old 11-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #6

Hard lesson learned, but the 2 best things you can do to protect a camper is check seams regularly and put it under a shed. There’s a reason there are stickers in every rig warning you to inspect all seals every 90 days. The sealant used on these roofs will not last 30 years like silicone . And with that being said, never use silicone anywhere where it will touch the rubber roof membrane. And repairs like yours are expensive- they take a lot of time to do correctly.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2020 View Post
We bought our 29vbud Wildwood 2020 in March. Just in time to park it in the driveway for the covid shutdowns. 1st time out was end of May. Since, we've been out every wknd possible. We are loving it. Skip to September 10th. Packing up getting ready for the wknd at the lake. We'd had 3 inches of rain all week. Found some water in the under storage area up front. Went inside to find the blanket, matress, topper and board wet. Water actively dripping from the overhead cabinets above the bed. The closet frame at the bottom has absorbed enough moisture it has split. Other peices of wood are bubbled or warped. Etc...
We had camping world look it over for possible warranty wk. After 6 weeks they had good news!!. Of the $4968 estimate submitted. Forest river approved $108 for repairs..
Apparently NORMAL unit maintenance , such as inspecting and resealing exterior seams including roof seams needs to be done 90 days after retail purchase. Any thoughts on how to handle this? Some of the pics seem obvious to us but maybe we dont know what we are looking for.
Thanks for your thoughts and insights. Attachment 243312Attachment 243313Attachment 243314

Have you tried contacting FR directly? I had a roof issue a few years ago and they said no to dealer but they said yes to me.
bradw661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw661 View Post
Have you tried contacting FR directly? I had a roof issue a few years ago and they said no to dealer but they said yes to me.
I have not. I am going to try it to tomorrow. CW still has it doing some other warranty work. Was there much begging and pleading ? lol.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2020 View Post
I have not. I am going to try it to tomorrow. CW still has it doing some other warranty work. Was there much begging and pleading ? lol.
You might want to wait until Monday since they may have a 4 day weekend.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #10

SO, while sitting at CW are they keeping it under cover or will there be MORE rain/water damage?

When a trailer sits in the sun with water on the inside MOLD grows quickly.

Personally, I would be checking on that trailer while not in my possesion.

Many here have done preventive roof maintenance using Eternabond tape. The standard roof sealing material Dicor needs constant attention but Eternabond lasts for years.

My write-up here https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
SO, while sitting at CW are they keeping it under cover or will there be MORE rain/water damage?

When a trailer sits in the sun with water on the inside MOLD grows quickly.

Personally, I would be checking on that trailer while not in my possesion.

Many here have done preventive roof maintenance using Eternabond tape. The standard roof sealing material Dicor needs constant attention but Eternabond lasts for years.

My write-up here https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html
I asked that exact question. He said they have it covered when bad weather hits. We live 1.5 hours away from CW , so going by and checking isnt a real option. Everything was dry when we dropped it off 7 weeks ago. I'm hoping it still is..

Tags
leak, roo, roof, warranty