Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2022, 11:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by poihths View Post
On my rig it would be possible to just stick a rod of some non-absorbent, washable kind down the toilet drain, which drops straight down into the black tank, and get a measurement. A black tank dipstick. With a little ingenuity, you could figure out level what full is. Just keep some alcohol wipes handy to clean it with. It occurs to me as I write that an aluminum yardstick would do the job really well.
After a while I learned to tell by the sound the "Flush" makes to determine how full the Black Tank is.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiwer View Post
I'm curious how all you who use totes transport them? We found it very difficult.
I think it depends how close you are to the dump station. Many people using them are within campground and just tow it with their tow vehicle to the dump station. This obviously isn't a practical solution if you are at a remote site and the dump station is miles away. In that case, loading it (carefully) into the back of the truck seems like the only viable solution.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:37 AM   #23

Even when we were camp hosts without a full service site we never filled our black tank. The grey tank was a different story. We could fill that up in a day if we had enough company and being the camp host I had to follow rules which meant no midnight dumping and many trips with the blue boy. We now use a commercial 5 gallon water jug and do dishes outside. It appears it is OK to dump that water on the ground but never the grey tank. I strongly recommend Dawn Powerwash to clean dishes, it saves water and does a great job.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 12:13 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
I'm curious how all you who use totes transport them? We found it very difficult.
I purposely chose a 15 gallon tote tank so it could be loaded in my truck bed.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I purposely chose a 15 gallon tote tank so it could be loaded in my truck bed.

15 gallons - seems like you'd be running to the dump pretty often. That's what we had and still found it difficult to lift into the back of our pickup truck (we are in our 70's). We are usually in the deep woods, at least 30 minutes (on the highway) from a dump station so using the hitch would not work! If you're camping in established campgrounds, I can see where the tote might be a good option. But still a lot of dumping.

Glad we decided to go with the composting. It suits us well. So little work and no special runs. But seems like not many folks camp like we do.

Boondockers since 1982
Jodiwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:47 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
15 gallons - seems like you'd be running to the dump pretty often. That's what we had and still found it difficult to lift into the back of our pickup truck (we are in our 70's). We are usually in the deep woods, at least 30 minutes (on the highway) from a dump station so using the hitch would not work! If you're camping in established campgrounds, I can see where the tote might be a good option. But still a lot of dumping.

Glad we decided to go with the composting. It suits us well. So little work and no special runs. But seems like not many folks camp like we do.
We can go at least 2 weeks before we need to dump our tanks, when dry camping. And in 16 years of having the tote tank, I've only used it one time for black water.
So no, I'm not running to the dump much at all. And I'm 68 years old.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-30-2022, 03:08 PM   #27

40 Gallon Barker Tote with room to spare pump to it, no lifting or dragging behind the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220930_53754.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	279872  
Old 09-30-2022, 03:09 PM   #28

Yes, two weeks was what we were getting. But having to pack up the trailer, drive to the dump, drive back and then set up again, we thought that was a huge hassle every two weeks. We're usually camping in the woods in northern Arizona from May to October.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:46 PM   #29

I read where the totes were ONLY for gray water...
NOT black.... due to chance of spillage on way to dump station or spillage at campsite.
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:56 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
I read where the totes were ONLY for gray water...

NOT black.... due to chance of spillage on way to dump station or spillage at campsite.
Not sure where you read that. Never seen any such restrictions.

Old 10-01-2022, 05:22 AM   #31

Dumping anything at your site is banned at almost all campgrounds including remote sites. Don't be that person.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:48 AM   #32
Site Team

I was camped next to a dude in a big motor home. As I sat outside my trailer sipping my afternoon adult beverage he came rolling up in a golf cart pulling a 4 wheel dump tank. He proceeds to connect it and pulls the dump valve. A couple minutes later I hear loud cussing and I look over to see the hose has disconnected and it's spewing everywhere. It got on him and the ground and all over the top of the tank. Of course we were down wind. He just gets his hose and washes it all off and goes on with hauling his sh-- to the dump station. He made no effort to clean the area and he left the next day with tp and other "debris" laying on the ground right next to the power pole and water hook up.

I don't know what the lesson here is except be SURE you hoses are turned until they lock on AND don't over fill the dump tank. WAY better to go to the dump station with half a tank than to over fill it.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:45 AM   #33

Feel bad for the next camper walking in that mess without knowing it was contaminated. Tracking all that in the Rv and truck.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:59 AM   #34

I’m not sure why this thread reminds me of this.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5934.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	279898
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Yes, two weeks was what we were getting. But having to pack up the trailer, drive to the dump, drive back and then set up again, we thought that was a huge hassle every two weeks. We're usually camping in the woods in northern Arizona from May to October.
Maybe two 15 gallon portable totes would work in this situation instead of one large one. Less weight individually but more capacity per dump trip saving you trips.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
Dumping anything at your site is banned at almost all campgrounds including remote sites. Don't be that person.
I don't know if you meant this for Chaplain Kent or for me. Chaplain is dumping dishwater with biodegradable soap, water and bits of food. I am dumping urine which is sterile and rich in nitrogen and phosphorus. It has been used for centuries to help plants grow. I don't know about Chaplain but we are not in established campgrounds around other people. It would be nice to hear other's opinions on this.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
Perhaps you should read the rules for most "Remote Sites" where no toilet or dump facilities are provided.

Dumping of waste water is allowed as long as it's not within a specified distance from lakes or streams and they do specify burying fecal waste. I believe the hole is specified as 8" in depth.

I certainly wouldn't recommend dumping a holding tank but the last Forest Service campground I stayed at that has a large number of tent campers definitely allowed the dumping and specified no restrictions. Just the requirement to dig a hole for any "direct deposits" of fecal waste.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I was camped next to a dude in a big motor home. As I sat outside my trailer sipping my afternoon adult beverage he came rolling up in a golf cart pulling a 4 wheel dump tank. He proceeds to connect it and pulls the dump valve. A couple minutes later I hear loud cussing and I look over to see the hose has disconnected and it's spewing everywhere. It got on him and the ground and all over the top of the tank. Of course we were down wind. He just gets his hose and washes it all off and goes on with hauling his sh-- to the dump station. He made no effort to clean the area and he left the next day with tp and other "debris" laying on the ground right next to the power pole and water hook up.

I don't know what the lesson here is except be SURE you hoses are turned until they lock on AND don't over fill the dump tank. WAY better to go to the dump station with half a tank than to over fill it.

I have a large 4 wheel tote that is larger than my black tank so I can not overflow the tote. I do have to be careful with the gray water.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Perhaps you should read the rules for most "Remote Sites" where no toilet or dump facilities are provided.

Dumping of waste water is allowed as long as it's not within a specified distance from lakes or streams and they do specify burying fecal waste. I believe the hole is specified as 8" in depth.

I certainly wouldn't recommend dumping a holding tank but the last Forest Service campground I stayed at that has a large number of tent campers definitely allowed the dumping and specified no restrictions. Just the requirement to dig a hole for any "direct deposits" of fecal waste.

Yep in a hole , not on the ground.

Tags
black, black tank, question, tank, toilet