RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #1

Schematic for grey and black tanks?

We have the Heritage Glen aelite 36FL. We are using it now and have questions about our tanks. We only discovered we have 2 black tanks, our walkthrough was useless. We are trying to figure out exactly what is using the front drain.

Also, it looks like we probably should be getting a Y connection so they both drain to the sewer at the same time?

Any help is appreciated!!
Old 11-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
Always Learning

When I first bought this current camper, I went to a campground and made sure all of the tanks were empty and closed the handles. I always keep a clear elbow on my sewer outlet so I can see what is going on.

Then, I went to each water fixture and ran water for a couple of minutes. One by one, I went and pulled each sewer handle to see which drained the water.

In about 30 minutes time, I was able to map out all 4 tanks (2 gray, 2 black) and all of the fixtures in the RV. Sadly, I learned my clothing washer/dryer was tied to a black tank- EW!

Quote:
Also, it looks like we probably should be getting a Y connection so they both drain to the sewer at the same time?
I'm reading a lot into this but make sure you always keep your black tanks closed. You want them to accumulate waste before emptying them. Wait (or fill with water) to empty them until they're 2/3 or more full.

But yes, a "Y" connector can be helpful when emptying tanks with multiple sewer connections. I wrote this a while back for what I used on my previous camper that had 2 sewer hookups:
https://learntorv.com/my-camper-has-two-sewer-hookups/
Old 11-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
When I first bought this current camper, I went to a campground and made sure all of the tanks were empty and closed the handles. I always keep a clear elbow on my sewer outlet so I can see what is going on.

Then, I went to each water fixture and ran water for a couple of minutes. One by one, I went and pulled each sewer handle to see which drained the water.

In about 30 minutes time, I was able to map out all 4 tanks (2 gray, 2 black) and all of the fixtures in the RV. Sadly, I learned my clothing washer/dryer was tied to a black tank- EW!

I'm reading a lot into this but make sure you always keep your black tanks closed. You want them to accumulate waste before emptying them. Wait (or fill with water) to empty them until they're 2/3 or more full.

But yes, a "Y" connector can be helpful when emptying tanks with multiple sewer connections. I wrote this a while back for what I used on my previous camper that had 2 sewer hookups:
https://learntorv.com/my-camper-has-two-sewer-hookups/
Great idea, looks like we'll be doing that before we leave. It doesn't help that our tanks were labeled opposite. Thankfully this is our 4th RV and we know the difference between gray and black. Today, we figured out that our kitchen sink drains with the handle labeled 'fresh water' ? So more investigating is coming.

Yes, we have the plastic elbows and we got the Y today. Once we drain the black tank we always put water back in.

I think I'm mistaken, we may just have one black tank in so we need to see where the 2nd bathroom is draining.

Just some hiccups for the 2nd time out
Old 11-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower0527 View Post
I think I'm mistaken, we may just have one black tank in so we need to see where the 2nd bathroom is draining.
I'm curious, please post back. The two bathrooms are just close enough to share a tank and also just far enough to have separate tanks.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower0527 View Post
We have the Heritage Glen aelite 36FL. We are using it now and have questions about our tanks. We only discovered we have 2 black tanks, our walkthrough was useless. We are trying to figure out exactly what is using the front drain.

Any help is appreciated!!
I have mentioned this before what I did to solve the grey - black tank issues and what goes to / from each....Go to your food store and get some different food coloring and pour some down each sink over time and them empty tank...MARK HANDLE ACCORDINGLY>>>>PROBLEM SoLVeD
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #6

Genius!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
I have mentioned this before what I did to solve the grey - black tank issues and what goes to / from each....Go to your food store and get some different food coloring and pour some down each sink over time and them empty tank...MARK HANDLE ACCORDINGLY>>>>PROBLEM SoLVeD
Old 01-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
Always Learning

Honestly, you don’t need the food coloring though it saves you running back and forth.

I started with empty tanks.

I had my wife go to one fixture and run water for a minute or two.

Outside, I pulled handles one by one until I saw water flow.

When I found the tank/valve, I wrote it down and closed everything up.

Repeat for each fixture.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #8
Bashful365

Good morning,
I have a 36FL. I think my black tank problems are well documented on this site. I have the standard black tank and grey tank in the back with the manifold with levers to empty the black tank and grey tank in the back. There is a third pull along with the other two but it is not connected, nor does it do anything. My 36FL has a half bath in place of storage off the kitchen. The front black tank and grey tank (for the kitchen) both have separate valves but come out of one pipe. The front black and grey tanks and valves work just fine. I have put on a clear section with a hose adapter to spray back into the black tank to aid in flushing on the front black tank. I have the same on the back outflow tank to aid in flushing. I have also added another valve on the back tanks to control flow so I don't get another "sewer shower" when the internal valves do not work. (One "sewer shower" in a lifetime is one too many)
Old 01-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
Bashful365

OOps, sorry, I do have a y connection so I can drain all with the proper hoses connected to both outflows. This process works well. When I want to disconnect to move, I have to carefully drain all the hoses and cap. That part of the Sewage system is working well. I do have to replace hoses from time to time due to birds pecking the hoses or landscapers moving the hoses without picking them up so that they scrape the ground and generate pin holes.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
Bashful365

on my 36FL, the washer and toilet go to the black tank in back. The shower and sink go to the back grey tank. The toilet and sink in front go to the front black tank. The kitchen sink goes to the front grey tank. Hope this helps.

Tags
black, black tank, tank