Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #1

Slide Out

I have the 2018 23BHXL Wildwood XL TT. Is there anything you should do specifically when pulling in the slide when it is raining? How about small tree limbs or leaves on the top of it?
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #2

Slide Out

Water is never good inside your TT. I have checked the roof of my slide out after I pulled It in during a rain. It has small puddles of water in low places on the roof. When you travel this water will come down and get the floor wet. As long as you dry it up the first chance you get, I would say with in 24 hours you should be ok. It is best If you can avoid closing it when the roof has water standing on it.

Pine cones, sticks, anything that can damage the gaskets is a bad thing. Even if a stick doesn’t damage the gasket but keeps the gasket from sealing it could be bad. Say you are driving home in a pouring rain. This could allow your TT to get flooded with water and you wouldn’t even know it, till you opened it the next time.

Leaves are not a big deal if it is not too many.

Several years ago. You would always see awnings attached to the slide that covered the roof protecting it from things like this. They are automatic and go in and out with the side. I am going to put one of these on my TT soon. I just don’t understand why I don’t see them as often anymore.

Be safe and Happy Camping.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post

Several years ago. You would always see awnings attached to the slide that covered the roof protecting it from things like this. They are automatic and go in and out with the side. I am going to put one of these on my TT soon. I just don’t understand why I don’t see them as often anymore.
The awnings referred to in the post above are called slide toppers. If you have them installed you don't have to worry about rain or debris when you close your slide. I have them on both of my slides and would not be without them. They need little to no maintenance.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

Smile 2018 230 BHXL Slide

Thanks. Would you share one of those 2 beers with me?
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #5

What I've done in the past was if it was DONE raining and we were packed up and ready to go, I'd pull up the stab jacks, drop the tongue all the way down, let water run off slides, raise tongue back up, pulled in slides, hook up hitch and go home.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
Thanks. Would you share one of those 2 beers with me?
Mike
Anytime! We will be at Cape Henlopen SP this fall on our way south. Stop by, I usually have an extra beer around for fellow campers.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #7

Thanks cboss I didn’t know the name. I need to start researching one and add soon.

Mike i will always share. Good conversation and meeting new people is what I like most about RVING.

Be safe and Happy Camping.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out