Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #1

Slide-out cheater bar bolts

I have a 2004 BHSS30 with a living/dining combo slide out. The slide hydro works fine. After a LOT of poking around, I finally figured out that a bolt under the slide out got broken and fell out. I think they call it a "cheater bar" maybe, but there is a bar that runs between the two slide out rails. The bolt nearest the hydro is missing, so the square bar does not turn - thus, only one side of the slideout moves.

Anyone know the size/type of bolt needed to replace it?

Also, since I tried to figure things out, I now have one side at a 90-degree angle from the other (where the bolt goes in). Let me clarify. On the left side (near hydro), the square bard and hole faces me. On the right side, the bolt is top-to-bottom. I assume the thing got twisted or rotated in its own sleeve while I was troubleshooting.

Do I need to pull that "cheater bar", set it right, then re-attach it? Or is it supposed to at 90-degrees from each end?

Man, I hope these two questions make sense. If not, I'll take pics. Thanks in advance!
davidinark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That is not a cheater bar, but the synchronize bar, it keeps both side moving together. The missing bolt is a shear bolt, grade 5, nothing harder. It is there to break in case the slide gets in a bind. It keeps from destroying more critical components. Most of those are 1/4 inch in diameter, (14x20), and about 1 and 3/4 inch long. Make sure and get a nylon locking nut to put on it, and you will need 2, 7/16 wrenches to tighten. Just sung enough so it doesn't rattle. Better get a couple of bolts, in case there is a problem you don't yet know about. Since your camper is an 04 model, not unusual for them to just wear out after several years.

Also you will have to move one side or the other to bet lined up with the holes. Just count the teeth, and make sure you get on the same one, else the slide will be crooked.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #4

Ah! Thank you for the info! I have noticed a lot of rust on the teeth. I'll count teeth and get things lined up.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #5

Windrider - Thanks a ton! That was exactly what I needed. I bought several just in case, but the first bolt/nut worked like a charm! I lubed up the gears/teeth and the slide-out works almost like new. It catches on the right side for a click or two, but I'll figure that out later.

Tags
bolts, slide out