Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2021, 07:35 PM   #1

Solar panel on Heritage Glen 273RL

I just purchased the new trailer and there is a single solar panel on the roof at the rear of the trailer on the right side. It wasn't addressed during our walkthrough. I noticed it at home and called the dealer but nobody knows what it is for. It's not on the spec sheet and the salesman says it shouldn't be on that model. A service guy said it probably trickle charges the battery but the battery is in the front of the trailer and there are no additional wires up there except the positve and negative lines.

Anyone else have this and know what it may be for or how I can find out? I emailed FR but haven't gotten a response.
BigStever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. A pic would be great as a single solar panel could be 6'x12" or very large. the position really doesn't deter its use. Have you attempted to follow out the wires from the panel?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #3

Here are some pics. I haven’t been able to trace the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3FF565E-51DF-4CCF-9A1D-AD23F54B995E.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	250469   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3AF0317-B52F-4AB0-B1D7-ED4F00C25845.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	250470  
Old 03-26-2021, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStever View Post
..............................A service guy said it probably trickle charges the battery but the battery is in the front of the trailer and there are no additional wires up there except the positve and negative lines.

Anyone else have this and know what it may be for or how I can find out? I emailed FR but haven't gotten a response.
Are you saying that there are no visible wires going from the panel into the roof? The service guy, who should know, seems to be saying it is connected and trickle charges the battery? What are the size dimensions of the panel?
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:27 AM   #5

There has to be a charge controller somewhere.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:59 AM   #6

Just bought a WHG 24RLHL last week. It also has a solar panel installed on the roof. The controller is most likely installed directly below the battery disconnect switch. Mine is located under the switch in my cargo pull thru storage compartment at the front of the trailer. My dealer was also unaware the trailer was equipped with this feature, as they are coming in this way straight from the factory. I too wish I had more info on this, such as, does the battery charge even though the disconnect switch is off and key is removed? The slide out, jack, and awning still work in the off position even though dc is off everywhere else.
bobkeown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:24 AM   #7

It is more than likely a Go Power 80w system with a 10Amp controller mounted some where inside the unit. It must be set up for the proper battery, wet cell, AGM, Lithium, etc. It should be installed such that it charges the battery with the battery disconnect open. Go Power provides all the solar systems for Forest River products, It could be as large as a 190w system. The technical manuals can be found under the "Owners" tab on the Forest River web site.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:04 AM   #8

Thanks for the post! Unfortunately, Forest River has not updated their site to reflect some of the changes to their 2021 models, such adding as the Solar Panel Controller. I just contacted Forest River Service in Goshen, Indiana and they informed me that the model that was installed at the factory is a Zamp Solar system. The unit is wired in such a way that it will actually charge the battery even when the Battery Disconnect key is in the Off or closed position. Even more surprising is that it is wired so that the power jack, slide-out, and awning are still left in the open position and the parasitic devices such as radio, smoke/CO alarms, etc. will be cut off from drawing power when the disconnect is in the off position. Pretty cool.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkeown View Post
The unit is wired in such a way that it will actually charge the battery even when the Battery Disconnect key is in the Off or closed position. Even more surprising is that it is wired so that the power jack, slide-out, and awning are still left in the open position and the parasitic devices such as radio, smoke/CO alarms, etc. will be cut off from drawing power when the disconnect is in the off position. Pretty cool.

I have to be honest, that sounds counterintuitive to me. I want my disconnect to shut off ALL POWER from the battery for a myriad of reasons.

How many watts is the panel and where is the charge controller located?
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #10

Factory Installed Solar Panels

Still trying to figure all of that out. I have no specifics on the system. Looking at the Zamp products on the product document that Forest River service department sent me (BTW, I posted that document in this Forum's Library this AM), if I had to guess, it is probably their 115 Watt panel, as this is set up strictly to charge the battery and not for boondocking use. Not even sure if the controller that has been installed is capable of expansion. There is absolutely no ID or labels on the controller other than the LED display.

I can understand, in theory, that if there is anything drawing down the battery, the solar panel is strictly there to replenish what is being drawn and to keep the amperage at a certain percentage. Keeping the battery at maximum charge actually makes the batteries last much longer and prevents deterioration of the battery. Batteries, even while sitting unconnected, will deplete over time.

According to the manufacturer, paired with the correct deep cycle battery, these systems are supposed to keep these batteries running for 6-8 years. We shall see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	250716  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #11

I finally found it a week or so ago and it's the Zamp model as well. They never pointed out the Battery disconnect or the charger controller in the front underbelly storage. It's high enough and close enough to the front that I didn't notice it until the other day when I had no power and found it. It does seem odd that the slides and awning still work even when the battery disconnect is off.

I have to say that while I love the layout of this camper, we have had quite a few "little" problems and the quality of the build isn't what I hoped. I got stuck in the shower on our maiden voyage last week. It's was a laughable experience but also a royal pain in the arse. My wife was on the outside and I on the inside and we just couldn't get the mecahnism to release. I finallly had to use a screwdriver and take the entire shower curtain off the attachment. Now the curtain is rolled up in the spring mechanism. Yet another thing to have the dealer fix.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #12

FR switched to "Waaree" Solar equipment out of India. The number style and icons on your controller look exactly like mine in my 2021 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHSBL.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210218_182710258.jpeg
Views:	332
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	251693Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210407_130102030_HDR.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	251694
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:24 AM   #13

By chance is this a new RV with one of the new 12v compressor fridge (instead of absorption)? From watching youtube dealer walk thru's of units, seems lots of mfgr's are swapping the absorption for 12v and adding a solar panel, so the fridge does not kill the battery while towing / boondocking. They often add a comment about "you won't see this on the spec sheet"

Not that I am an expert or anything, I am just watching a lot of vids recently looking for my next trailer...
Old 04-14-2021, 08:20 AM   #14

I think what we are going to see in the feature is the propane frig being offered as an upgrade for x dollars. They have conditioned the new buyer advertising and sales to how great the 12V is (I'm not knocking the 12v) when I believe they went to 12V because of supply and cost. they can put a 12V in a rig including the solar for about 1/4 the cost of a propane frig and charge the same. Plus the less man-hours to install the needed piping.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I think what we are going to see in the feature is the propane frig being offered as an upgrade for x dollars. They have conditioned the new buyer advertising and sales to how great the 12V is (I'm not knocking the 12v) when I believe they went to 12V because of supply and cost. they can put a 12V in a rig including the solar for about 1/4 the cost of a propane frig and charge the same. Plus the less man-hours to install the needed piping.
For my own personal reason, I am all for that. I never boondock so the propane refrigerator was overkill for many people outside the small travel trailer or pop up market. Plus, my 12V gets much colder much quicker than my propane ever did. Finally, many states forbid these things from running on propane and traveling through tunnels, so in my eyes, the propane refrigerator as an upgrade makes sense.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:35 AM   #16

2021 Wildwood Heritage Glen 295BH 5th wheel

These panels look just like ours. Does anyone know the size (wattage) of these panels and if they charge both batteries or just the fridge battery which connects to the inverter? I'm leaning towards 100 watts. I've emailed Forest River, Waaree, and my dealership with no answers yet. Also, we boondocked this past weekend in a SHADY spot, and upon our return 13 hours later to crank up the generator, our voltage meter read 11.5 volts (not good) and the generator gave us fits all evening (gen. has worked in the past and since). Does anyone have experience with drained batteries really messing with the generator.
TRAUB SUPPLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel