Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #1

spare wheel/tire advice... And bumper mounting

Does anyone know what wheel I'll need to have an extra spare tire mounted? I'm pretty sure the trailer uses 205/75 r14's... Anything in particular I need to know?
I plan on replacing the stock tires with GY when I buy it, and I'd like to have 2 of the stock tires to use as spares.
also..... Would you guys use the stock tires as spares?
one last thing... Is there a real solution to make the rear bumper mounts stronger? Other than welding? I'd like to have both spare tires mounted back there... but I've seen more than one trailer bumper that didn't like being attached.
SCREWBEINGTIEDDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #2

It would help if we knew what you were buying,, new, used ??? The wheels are 5 lug I assume ?? If they are steel you can buy them many place from the dealer to tractor supply or similar.

It depends on what type camping that you are planning on doing, Personally I have never had a flat on original tires so one spare is plenty for me. Replacing tires every 5 years is recommended.

Personally etrailer is one of the best for trailer parts including rims.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #3

I'm a dummy...
I'll be buying a 32BHDS...
And I think I was mistaken, it may be a 6 lug tire... I've been researching way too many trailers.
I'll be living full time, but parked long term, traveling several times a year.
I'll most likely be ordering them from etrailer.
Edit:
It does appear that they are 6 lug wheels from my pics... That means that I most likely, almost ordered the wrong tires. I cant get to the trailer I'm looking at right now.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Quote:
pretty sure the trailer uses 205/75 r14's.
Quote:
I think I was mistaken, it may be a 6 lug tire
I know of no 14 inch tires that use 6 lug rims...

I think 2 spares is one too many... and yes I would use the take off tires as spares...

use etrailer dot com and search for under trailer spare mount

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #5

I had the wrong information on my notes... I know it's a 6 lug, but now I have to wait & verify the size. I'm sure they are 15's on this trailer, but don't know the correct actual size
I wrote the tire info from a smaller trailer I was considering, and got my notes/pics confused.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #6

If you do decide to mount a second spare on your rear bumper it would be a good idea to install a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-n-Lock-...+for+rv+bumper

Rear bumpers really aren't designed to carry much more than ONE spare tire with mounting hardware. These safety struts are good insurance. They stop the flexing at the frame where welds then fail. Even if the weld fails the strut will keep the bumper from falling off along with whatever's attached to it. Installation is pretty easy with only tools required being a drill and appropriate wrench.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #7

Thank you! That was exactly what I had been looking for, but couldn't describe well enough.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
Scoundrel

After puncturing one of my tires on some rebar (sticking straight up but hidden in the grass) and replacing it with my spare (OEM Westlake), I drove 300 miles through a remote mountainous area sorta wishing I had a second spare. Even with that experience, today I still only have one spare.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #9

I've been the guy that lost both tires on one side, while a million miles from nowhere... It won't happen to me again...
Old 12-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWBEINGTIEDDOWN View Post
I've been the guy that lost both tires on one side, while a million miles from nowhere... It won't happen to me again...

Maybe I'll go get another spare....

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post

Maybe I'll go get another spare....
Not a horrible idea[emoji6]
It was a freak event... A tin can on the edge of the road, as a matter of fact. The lid edge caught the front tire, rotated around & both went to the recycler... After having to leave my trailer on BLM land for 8 hours unattended... I decided that I could carry another 65 lbs.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #12

You should also get yourself a spare engine and transmission for your tow vehicle, just never know when either of those suckers will fail you.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #13

What is wrong with people today?...
You just had to pipe up & show people that you're an idiot... Couldn't offer anything constructive to the conversation... Just for what? To get your post count up?
Ooh, yeah... I forgot... The younger generation hasn't been taught to be prepared for REALISTIC emergencies... Nucklehead!
Old 12-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #14

This Knucklehead will soon turn 73 yrs. old. Sorry if I insulted you, but if you worry about every little thing that may or may not happen out on the highway, then you will never be able to enjoy what RVing is all about. I have towed a 5th wheel travel trailer all over this fine country of ours, never once had a flat tire. I took the tires that came with my last new fiver and sold them after just 200 miles. I then purchase five new Maxxis 8008's, that now have 9000 miles on them. As for your bumper, I installed those support brackets that someone else mentioned and have two Honda generators mounted in a aluminum tool box, all that is hanging on that rear bumper plus my spare tire. Installing the support brackets is no picnic, I have all the required tools and years experience as a aircraft mechanic. Unless your very handy with tools, I would get someone else to install it for you.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #15

At 73, I'm sure that understand, grandiose statements like that are nothing but a cry for attention.
Not all of us have been as blessed, as to never have a flat. When you do, maybe I'll loan you one of mine!
Before you chimed in, it was a constructive conversation that people in the future may, or may not have found valuable.
After... It's just another old American dude that needs to be heard, even if there is no valid point.
I'm well capable of installing those brackets....
I do my worrying before I leave, not after something breaks.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #16

Nothing grand about my statement. I just thought that someone that would want to carry two spares, might also want to carry a spare engine and transmission and the tools to change them with. Do you also carry a air compressor so that you can top those cold tires off each morning. Lets not forget those spare oil and fuel filters for that diesel truck. If it is a new model, you may want to carry a few gallons of DEF, never know when you will have to travel more than the 1000 miles after your warning light comes on, before you can buy some more DEF. I bet you have a ten ton hydraulic bottle jack to jack up one side of one axle on your 12,000lb. trailer. Do you also carry a foot pound torque wrench to get those lug nuts to the exact factory recommended torque or do you just tighten the hell out of them like most of us do.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #17

Well, yeah.. I do have a compressor built into my truck... But that's part of rural living...
Yes, I do drive a properly maintained Diesel, with a reasonable amount of the necessary fluids stashed away...
Nope, I've torqued enough with a torque wrench to not need to check if I change a flat... But you can bet your ass I still check them ASAP and regularly with the proper tool, as part of maintenance. There is a lot riding on those wheels... I can spare 2 minutes.
I carry a 20 ton bottle jack... So what?
I have people that count on me... So I make sure I can count on my equipment.... you seem to count on luck & ego.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #18

spare wheel/tire advice... And bumper mounting

There are different specs on wheels for different tires.
I wanted to keep tires from trailer traded in for newer rig as they were newer. Having a tire shop change for me, the wheels on newer rig weren't strong enough for tire rating. Traded rig was also 6 lug and newer was 5 lug. Had to buy 5 new wheels.
boatcat AH6NR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tire, wheel