Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle for 273QBXL

Looking to tow a 2020 273QBXL with my 2011 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum. The Escalade shows tow capacity of 7600-7800 GVWR. It is a 6.2L V8. The trailer shows hitch weight of 680 lbs, UVW of 5956 lbs, CCC of 1724 lbs. I have a family of five and this is a big upgrade from our pop-up. I'm also in Colorado so high altitude driving is more than likely.

Can anyone give me an opinion on if this is possible with my vehicle?

Has anyone else towed this trailer or similar with a similar vehicle? At altitude?

Can anyone make sense of these numbers for me?

We have been researching a ton and I'm afraid we may be too close to the limit. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of other options. With three growing sons, we really need the separate bunk room and the space but we can't change our vehicle right now (and along those lines don't want to destroy our transmission either).

Thank you!!
GFCOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #2

Your payload is probably around 1400 pounds (according to google search); your first step is to determine actual by looking at the info on your drivers side door plate.

Step two is add up the weight of everyone in your family plus any extras you will be carrying in the Escalade. Subtract from the payload. So if you have 600 pounds of people and stuff, subtract from payload of 1400 pounds and have a 800 pounds of payload remaining for towing.

Subtract another 100 lbs for a weight distribution hitch leaving 700lbs payload .

Assuming 1200+ pounds of stuff in your trailer (batteries, propane, water, food, clothing, etc.) plus 6000 UVW or total trailer weight of about 7200+ pounds of trailer. Multiply by 15% and you get your approximate hitch weight: in this hypothetical situation 1080 pounds. You are way over payload without any safety margin. These are all made up numbers based on best guesses, do your own research and substitute actual numbers for these. Some of this can be mitigated but a first glance says this isn't going to work. Lots of threads on this topic.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFCOLO View Post
Looking to tow a 2020 273QBXL with my 2011 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum. The Escalade shows tow capacity of 7600-7800 GVWR. It is a 6.2L V8. The trailer shows hitch weight of 680 lbs, UVW of 5956 lbs, CCC of 1724 lbs. I have a family of five and this is a big upgrade from our pop-up. I'm also in Colorado so high altitude driving is more than likely.

Can anyone give me an opinion on if this is possible with my vehicle?

Has anyone else towed this trailer or similar with a similar vehicle? At altitude?

Can anyone make sense of these numbers for me?

We have been researching a ton and I'm afraid we may be too close to the limit. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of other options. With three growing sons, we really need the separate bunk room and the space but we can't change our vehicle right now (and along those lines don't want to destroy our transmission either).

Thank you!!
First, you need to focus on your Caddy's PAYLOAD capacity. After that you can look at Towing capacity. Nearly all tow vehicles will run out of payload WAY before reaching max tow capacity.
Since your car is a blinged out Suburban, you can expect a low payload capacity. 1. 1/2 ton SUVs usually have lower payload capacities and softer suspensions, than a comparable truck. 2. All that fancy bling adds more weight, therefore lowering the payload.
Post a pic of the driver's door stickers, especially the Payload sticker. It'll say something like "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". Or you'll have a sticker listing all the max weight numbers for the axles and payload capacity.
Is it the Salem or Wildwood, which are twin brands? A 33' long TT is a lot for a 1/2 SUV!
You need find the payload capacity and subtract the weights of everyone riding in the car, cargo in the cargo, 100lbs for a WDH and 12%-15% of the TT's GVWR.
I'd be surprised if you had anything left over.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:59 PM   #4

The Caddy won't like the load. I towed a similar sized tag along with an equivalent Suburban 2500 4x4 and it pulled the weight OK, but the trailer "worked" the truck and created a butt-puckering ride. Not enough brakes in wet conditions, and even on the interstate at 65 I had to stay on the wheel. Just got old. I pulled a Koala 21CS with the same Suburban and that was a perfect match. 600 tongue and 3700 empty. Bought an even larger toy hauler and ended up with another tow vehicle that works too well. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200510_204305.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	229315
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:16 PM   #5

Thank you so much!! This is very helpful. Going back to the drawing board now. Sticker says GVWR 7400, GAWR FRT 3600, GAWR 4200. So that looks even worse than my google search gave me
Old 05-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #6

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you so much!! This is very helpful. Going back to the drawing board now. Sticker says GVWR 7400, GAWR FRT 3600, GAWR 4200. So that looks even worse than my google search gave me
What does the payload sticker say?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I haven’t been able to find that yet. It wasn’t on the sticker inside the door. Do you know where else it might be?
Old 05-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Actually I just found it but all the information has been washed away. Nothing at all left to show what the numbers might have been. I’m thinking maybe someone hit it with some major chemicals one to many times.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Just found it on a Cadillac owners forum. Not sure why I didn’t just start there. These forums are amazing. Payload is 1437lbs.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just found it on a Cadillac owners forum. Not sure why I didn’t just start there. These forums are amazing. Payload is 1437lbs.
Don't forget to subtract you and your family, the dog, and all the stuff in the back of your vehicle. Also, the tongue weight on your trailer is DRY. That means without stuff in your trailer, propane, batteries, etc.

I doubt this is going to work to your satisfaction. And consider the safety factor.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #12

Thank you! This has been very helpful. I ran the numbers with what I found and I see how I’m out of luck calculating either way (with the GVWR or the UVW). Anyone have a suggestion for something with a UVW max of ~3500 lbs and a GVWR max of ~5000 lbs that can work for a family of five without remaking sofas and dinettes?
Old 05-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #13

I tow a 241QBXL (4400 empty) with a 2014 Yukon XL. It has the 6.2 and I have to look to make sure the trailer is there. I really wanted to be on the safe side with my choice. It is way to easy to overload either you or your truck. I have lots of room to spare.

I towed thru the Smokies (mountains to us on this side of the Mississippi) with 4 people and 3 dogs in the truck, 102 outside temps, trans temp never went over 210 even with the AC running on high all day.

I do use a W/D hitch, and sway in high winds is still there but manageable.

See Ya' on the road
Oldewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #14

Any tow vehicle should have some 'headroom' regarding tow capacities. Any maxxed out tow vehicle is going to create stress...at minimum.
Towing in the flatlands with mediocre handling and brakes is one thing. Towing in the hills in hot summer is another.
Towing at legal speeds on busy interstates can also be a challenge.
If at all possible, go one step up with your tow vehicle.
IMHO, never max out a tow vehicle.
Really plush, comfy vehicles are limited as tow vehicles. And, trailers have a habit of growing a bit of weight. Good many trailers are at gross when empty. Consider the axle assemblies and tires...then weigh the trailer and go from there. Filled resh water tanks often gross a trailer. I never travel with much H²O, but you get the picture.
A big engine does not a tow vehicle make. Tag alongs pull hard. Unlike a car carrier or low profile trailer. Toy haulers are harder yet with heavy tongue weight.
If getting close to max tow specs, move up to the next tier vehicle. Or, limit the TT size/weight.
Enjoy the trip!
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle