Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder75 View Post
High-occupancy vehicle lane is a restricted traffic lane reserved at peak travel times or longer for the exclusive use of vehicles with a driver and one or more passengers.
Gotcha. They call them Rideshare lanes in Florida, promoting carpooling.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #22

Been over the mountain several times. As stated before take it slow going down, a couple of curves will come up and meet you going south. Have the exhaust brake on the 2500 GMC really helps control the speed. Just plan the trip so you are not crossing at night or if it is foggy, wait till it burns off. Not as bad of decent as Black Mountain in my opinion. X2 on avoiding Atlanta, only time I will venture through there is early on Sunday. Safe travels, watch out for the other guys!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #23

It's a great ride today. You have towed it 40 years ago before it was improved.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #24

I really appreciate the input folks. This is the first long tow with this truck. Just got it about 4 months ago. And curious how the baby diesel would do on that grade.
I pulled out camper to Louisville about 3 weeks ago (100 miles) and got 14mpg. she towed straight as an arrow. She didn't hint for gears like the 6speed hemi I had previously. She stayed in 7th even on some of the steeper grades near Louisville.
We do use WAZE a lot on our travels. One of the best user sponsored apps out there. We love it.
You all have been very helpful and I am more confident on this route. Last year we went 65 south to Alabama, took a left to Atlanta and then south to Florida. Which added prrobably 2-2.5 hours to the trip with added length and fuel stop.
I figured I would hear more of the "truck isn't big enough" or "don't do it". I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of ppl pulling 7000 plus pound TT's with half ton trucks.
Thanks a lot fellas!! If you are at Fort Wilderness Campground at Disney the first week of April give me a hollar and we will have a beer , ice tea, Pepsi, water or whatever you prefer.
eyeguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, towing