Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #1

Towing Weight

I've got a 2006 Wildwood, dry weight of 4730, gross 7530. I'm pulling it with a 92 Chevy Silverado C1500 with a maximum pull weight of 6200. The truck has a 305 (5.0) with 3:43 gears, automatic transmission with over 200,000 on it. I drive about 60-65 MPH in drive, Not OD. Trailer has very little in it when traveling, other than the basics. No water in any of the tanks, except may 5 gallons in the black tank. The trailer has dual axles. Am I asking too much from my truck? I have a distribution weight system and sway controls on it.
George D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:54 PM   #2

Welcome. There are a million in one towing/weight threads dealing with numbers. Personally the biggest number i look at is the payload of the tow vehicle. Open the door and look at the tag for max payload. Subtract the weight of people and gear and the tounge weight of the camper. If you are under you are good to go. That being said the truck is 20 years old with 200k on it. You know your truck better than others. I wouldnt be driving very far from home in an 20 year old vehicle. Thats me. I'm sure plenty others feel differant.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #3

You are close to max... but a bigger question is how many people, how much additional weight? what is the terrain you will be towing in? Mountainous??? I would say YES... too much trailer... driving on flat land... well then maybe...
towing with a 3 or 4 speed auto tranny and you will be high RPM's on any large hills

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Welcome. There are a million in one towing/weight threads dealing with numbers. Personally the biggest number i look at is the payload of the tow vehicle. Open the door and look at the tag for max payload. Subtract the weight of people and gear and the tounge weight of the camper. If you are under you are good to go. That being said the truck is 20 years old with 200k on it. You know your truck better than others. I wouldnt be driving very far from home in an 20 year old vehicle. Thats me. I'm sure plenty others feel differant.
Pretty sure that they didn't have payload capacity stickers back in 1992.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:22 AM   #5

I'm with the rest. way to much for the truck. Keeping the truck for 20 yrs , makes me think u really like the truck. so its old so in order for it to last baby it for rest of its life.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Pretty sure that they didn't have payload capacity stickers back in 1992.
/\ /\ /\ this and we didn't have the internet so we'd hook it up and see how it towed for ourselves,

If I'd listened to some of the internet towing 'wizards" I'd never have discovered how well my 1/2ton tows a 7700GVWR trailer.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
You are close to max... but a bigger question is how many people, how much additional weight? what is the terrain you will be towing in? Mountainous??? I would say YES... too much trailer... driving on flat land... well then maybe...
towing with a 3 or 4 speed auto tranny and you will be high RPM's on any large hills
I usually stay around home (Alton, IL). Going to Carlyle, Springfield, Carlinville, usually no more than three hours away. There's no way I would take it to the mountains! And your're right on the high rpm's on the hills!
Old 01-21-2022, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanabe View Post
I'm with the rest. way to much for the truck. Keeping the truck for 20 yrs , makes me think u really like the truck. so its old so in order for it to last baby it for rest of its life.
Got the truck when my van died. After the cards are payed off along with the car, this November, another truck is in the pciture.

Tags
tow, towing, weight