Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #1

Travel Trailer in Cold Weather

Hey guys. I’m an RV newbie (stationary full timer) and I could use some tips for my first winter in my TT. Even though I’m in Alabama, it’s been cold here lately. My water has froze twice (20 - 30s) and I’m frustrated. I have a heat taped hose and I leave my water dripping. I’ve never used my freshwater tank and I’m on full hook ups. Should I just unhook the city water during freezing? I came home today to a busted water filter outside and water going everywhere. I’m grateful it’s all good inside, just don’t want any expensive messes. Also, I emptied my black and grey tanks and poured rv antifreeze in to keep from freezing. Someone said to leave the grey tank open, so I’ve done that.

Below freezing temps are not too common, but it happens for a few weeks. Any advice is appreciated! [emoji4]

2018 Wildwood 28RLSS
xr751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Team

If you have heat tape on your hose and faucet standpipe you shouldn't freeze up at those temps. If there's even a little bit of pipe uncovered it can freeze.

I'd suggest just unhooking your water hose and draining it whenever it's going to freeze.

I don't know what part of Alabama you're in but it can get pretty cold north of Montgomery for a few days. Now down here where we are we don't get much cold.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #3

Travel Trailer in Cold Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If you have heat tape on your hose and faucet standpipe you shouldn't freeze up at those temps. If there's even a little bit of pipe uncovered it can freeze.

I'd suggest just unhooking your water hose and draining it whenever it's going to freeze.

I don't know what part of Alabama you're in but it can get pretty cold north of Montgomery for a few days. Now down here where we are we don't get much cold.

Thanks, I will do that. It’s not worth the hassle to worry about a flood while I’m at work. [emoji16]

The filter wasn’t covered, so that’s probably what happened. I’m just a little north of Birmingham.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr751 View Post
Hey guys. I’m an RV newbie (stationary full timer) and I could use some tips for my first winter in my TT. Even though I’m in Alabama, it’s been cold here lately. My water has froze twice (20 - 30s) and I’m frustrated. I have a heat taped hose and I leave my water dripping. I’ve never used my freshwater tank and I’m on full hook ups. Should I just unhook the city water during freezing? I came home today to a busted water filter outside and water going everywhere. I’m grateful it’s all good inside, just don’t want any expensive messes. Also, I emptied my black and grey tanks and poured rv antifreeze in to keep from freezing. Someone said to leave the grey tank open, so I’ve done that.

Below freezing temps are not too common, but it happens for a few weeks. Any advice is appreciated! [emoji4]

2018 Wildwood 28RLSS
Is the heat tape working? If so, the hose shouldn't have froze at the temps. you described.
You should also never leave the RV for any length of time without turning off the water supply at the spigot/standpipe.
On your 28RLSS, is it advertised as having an enclosed & heated underbelly? If so, when your furnace is running, it sends some ducted heat into the underbelly and keeps the tanks warm.....to a point. In this case you could use your FW tank & pump and leave the hose disconnected and drained.
X2 - leave your grey/galley tanks open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

X2
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:46 AM   #5

Heat tape is good. I think I need to better insulate and wrap where the city water comes in. Good thing is, it’ll be warm the next week. Thanks for the reply. [emoji1303]
Old 01-31-2019, 06:19 AM   #6

Quote:
I’ve never used my freshwater tank and I’m on full hook ups. Should I just unhook the city water during freezing?
Yes, unhook from your city water connection (both ends) and put enough water in your fresh water tank to get you through the cold spell. Empty out your hose and put it away.

This is part of my procedure for cold temps (last night was 19 here). Drop water connection, add water to fresh tank, heat on, water heater on.

The gray and black tanks will be fine. I don't leave the valves open. You can pour a little AF in if it makes you feel better.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:35 PM   #7

When we find ourselves in Cold temps, we fill up our tanks. We have heat pads on our tanks so we use them to keep them warm. We don't use them if we do not have full hookups because heating all three tanks along with your furnace will blow through your batteries quickly. When we don't have full hookups, we drop some antifreeze in the black and gray water and only use the heat pads for the fresh water.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #8

Neighbor has an Outback TH. Cut the hole, was plumbed ~~ never unvented!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:22 PM   #9

Why do so many RVers recommend leaving grey water tank drain valves open when you are connected to the sewer line?? This provides a direct path from grey water tanks to the RV Park sewer lines that are bound to contain dangerous gases like methane, not to mention bad smells. Those bad gases and smells can easily percolate up into your grey water tanks and into your RV with potentially serious consequences. Am I missing something??
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:44 PM   #10

Leave gray tank drain valve open during winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post
The gray and black tanks will be fine. I don't leave the valves open. You can pour a little AF in if it makes you feel better.
You should leave the gray tank valve open in freezing weather. The tank itself is High-Density PolyEthylene (HDPE) which is flexible enough to withstand the expansion of freezing water.

But the lowest point in the system, which fills first, is the flimsy ABS/foam-core plumbing from the tank to the dump valve. That fills with water, freezes and splits the pipe. It's a nuisance to find ABS pipe fittings and cement and make up the replacements after two separate pipe segments have split. Ask me how I know.

From November to April we leave the gray drain valve open and the Blue Boy connected to it. Especially since we leave a dehumidifier running in the shower year round. In the summer, of course, we close the gray drain valve and drain it after the black tank to flush the hose.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
Why do so many RVers recommend leaving grey water tank drain valves open when you are connected to the sewer line?? This provides a direct path from grey water tanks to the RV Park sewer lines that are bound to contain dangerous gases like methane, not to mention bad smells. Those bad gases and smells can easily percolate up into your grey water tanks and into your RV with potentially serious consequences. Am I missing something??
To avoid what Larry-NC said, but we camp-host for months at a time and we leave our gray tank valve open all the time. We DO make sure we have a P-trap made with our hose and with us using the water all the time, that p-trap stays full of water. If we leave for a day or two, we do close the valve and shut off our water. The p-trap with the hose will keep any gases from coming into the tank and possibly getting into the RV.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 PM   #12

**UPDATE
I had the same issue with water coming from city connection again today. A neighbor helped me out and it seems that the water filter may have caused the housing to come apart. After he took it out from wall and tightened the threads and replaced the washer, we replaced the new in-line filter towards the water hook up (not on the side of the camper). He resealed and all seems to be fine for now. No drips or anything. Maybe it was the combination of the cold weather and the weight of the water filter.

Thanks to everyone for replying. As I said, I’m a new learner. So I can always use some advice! [emoji4]
Old 01-31-2019, 10:59 PM   #13

Quote:
You missed sewer rats...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Your RV has P traps and a roof vent just like your house does and there is no valve to close at home on sewer or septic. [emoji6]

Now the RV toilet may not have the same luxury with the P trap but you dont want to leave that valve open...

To each his own as neither is wrong in an RV so do what works for you.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #15

CaptnJohn suggested I missed "sewer rats". I beg to differ. I served with a Company of "sewer rats" in Vietnam. I was an advisor to a Company of US Marine First Force Recon troops who proudly called themselves "sewer rats". They would go anywhere and do anything that it took to defeat the Viet Cong.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:37 AM   #16

dbledan - thanks for your reply. Your explanation makes sense and helps to clear up my question.

CaptnJohn's suggestion that I missed "sewer rats" is a bit off the mark. None of those "sewer rats" that I served with in Vietnam could ever fit through an RV sewer hose!!
Old 02-01-2019, 01:59 AM   #17

Quote:
**UPDATE
I had the same issue with water coming from city connection again today. A neighbor helped me out and it seems that the water filter may have caused the housing to come apart. After he took it out from wall and tightened the threads and replaced the washer, we replaced the new in-line filter towards the water hook up (not on the side of the camper). He resealed and all seems to be fine for now. No drips or anything. Maybe it was the combination of the cold weather and the weight of the water filter.

Thanks to everyone for replying. As I said, I’m a new learner. So I can always use some advice! [emoji4]
Get yourself a 90 degree elbow and save the pressure on the connector.

If you are just having freezes near the trailer connection with a heated hose putting a light bulb in the wet bay or simply opening up cabinets if you can will help to heat that water bay area better. It wont fix a filter or hose freeze outside but will keep the connection thawed at the trailer. The slow drip all night helps as well if you have sewer hook ups.

Best bet is to fill the tank halfway and disconnect at night if freezing for short periods.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer