Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
Triangles near bumper under frame function?

I want another way to store a sewer hose and the best spot is where these are welded. Can I cut those off and put 5x5 vinyl post cover with sewer hose where they are?. I have a 179dbk. !Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190626_203922.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	208336
__________________

forsakentalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,157
Those are skids to protect the jacks and the back of the trailer. Depending on where you tow, they will get wear. Replacing with a plastic post cover may result in the post cover being destroyed on an incline. If you want to add a sewer hose holder, I would mount it closer to the axles as there will be less clearance issues.
__________________

__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Those are skids to protect the jacks and the back of the trailer. Depending on where you tow, they will get wear. Replacing with a plastic post cover may result in the post cover being destroyed on an incline. If you want to add a sewer hose holder, I would mount it closer to the axles as there will be less clearance issues.
X2. One day very shortly, you will roll into (or out of) a gas station, hear a screech from your TT, and be very glad you've got those triangles!

From your pic, looks like you could easily sling the fence post under the bumper (or above it).
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
X2. One day very shortly, you will roll into (or out of) a gas station, hear a screech from your TT, and be very glad you've got those triangles!

From your pic, looks like you could easily sling the fence post under the bumper (or above it).
Wife didn't like those spots above or below the main bumper. Thought of getting an hdpe sheet aka marine board and cut some slats to go inside the triangles. But marine board is pricey. Can't put it next to the axles as my tanks are in those spots and hang below the frame.
forsakentalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 83
Why not take the bumper cap off and store the sewer hose in the bumper?
billybigrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybigrigger View Post
Why not take the bumper cap off and store the sewer hose in the bumper?
My rhino connectors and black flush adapters don't fit in there
forsakentalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 83
I store my hose in the bumper. I remove the caps and adapters and place them in small container when not in use.
billybigrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 16
Paint a 5" PVC fence post (available at Lowe's) black and mount it above or below your bumper - or in the triangles - post caps can be attached several ways to the ends of the post to secure.
RkwdNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RkwdNewbie View Post
Paint a 5" PVC fence post (available at Lowe's) black and mount it above or below your bumper - or in the triangles - post caps can be attached several ways to the ends of the post to secure.
It doesn't fit inside the triangles though. And wife doesn't want it on the bumper. Tough crowd to please lol
forsakentalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 16
I thought those triangles are a lot wider than 5" at a point 5" down from the frame?? it seems that you could secure to the frame inside the triangles???
RkwdNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by RkwdNewbie View Post
I thought those triangles are a lot wider than 5" at a point 5" down from the frame?? it seems that you could secure to the frame inside the triangles???
Look at his 4" bumper to the left of his triangles. I don't think even that would fit.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RkwdNewbie View Post
I thought those triangles are a lot wider than 5" at a point 5" down from the frame?? it seems that you could secure to the frame inside the triangles???
Tried. Doesn't fit on mine at least.
forsakentalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
How about in front of axles, I've seen square and round there, not that far from drains.
boatcat AH6NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcat1 View Post
How about in front of axles, I've seen square and round there, not that far from drains.
Thanks. Problem is my freshwater tank is there.
forsakentalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
SecretSquirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 312
There must be some undersized bumpers out there. My Rhino hoses fit just fine. Yes, you have to rotate the ends so the nibs on the connectors line up with the corners of the bumper and then slide right in.
__________________
_________________________
Crusader 337QBH
2019 F350 6.7L DRW CC LB 4x4 Lariat
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 11,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakentalon View Post
My rhino connectors and black flush adapters don't fit in there
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
There must be some undersized bumpers out there. My Rhino hoses fit just fine. Yes, you have to rotate the ends so the nibs on the connectors line up with the corners of the bumper and then slide right in.
Yep.. I dunno either?

My Rhino hose/ends/caps all fit in my last two R/V's 4" bumper just fine.

As mentioned, you have to rotate the nubs and connectors to align with the corners of the bumper but they DO fit. Honest!

If you decide to put something in those triangles to hold your hose(s) be prepared for it to get smashed/busted.

I've seen many of those triangle guards smashed from hitting/dragging. They are somewhat self-sacrificing in they will bend yet still somewhat protect your frame/stabs from dragging. Most are made with pretty thin metal.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
There must be some undersized bumpers out there. My Rhino hoses fit just fine. Yes, you have to rotate the ends so the nibs on the connectors line up with the corners of the bumper and then slide right in.
X2. I have a Rhino standard 15' on one side, and a 10' extension on the other side of my bumper. Index the end connectors and they'll slide right in.
__________________
'04 K3500 Silverado LS with LS3 Connect & Cruise- with Intimidator SSI PKG- Reprogrammed 4L80E
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mountain Falls, VA
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
There must be some undersized bumpers out there. My Rhino hoses fit just fine. Yes, you have to rotate the ends so the nibs on the connectors line up with the corners of the bumper and then slide right in.
X2
I have all three 10' sections in my bumper with the end caps on. I do have to keep the 90 degree elbow in a gallon Ziploc bag in my "setup" kit.
__________________
Mark & Heather
Mountain Falls, VA

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 11,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicmark View Post
X2
I have all three 10' sections in my bumper with the end caps on. I do have to keep the 90 degree elbow in a gallon Ziploc bag in my "setup" kit.
Even the 90º will fit if you remove the threaded portion.
1/4 turn and the threaded part comes right off and the 90º can stay on the hose!
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mountain Falls, VA
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Even the 90º will fit if you remove the threaded portion.
1/4 turn and the threaded part comes right off and the 90º can stay on the hose!
True
That is actually what I do.
__________________

__________________
Mark & Heather
Mountain Falls, VA

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
frame

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.


×