Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #1

Thumbs up Washing and waxing

Hello Forum Folks,
New to the Forum. Just picked up a Wilderness 27RKSS. Love it. I was just wondering what you folks used to wash and or wash/wax your RV's. Seems to me that there are a bunch of RV's going down the road with chalky outsides or just plain lookin bad. Mines shiny new and I want to keep it that way.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sawtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
WFD

Wash it with your favourite car wash soap, stay away from dish soap as it strips the wax. Also stay away, or at least be very careful using pressure washers as they can peel decals and you have all kinds of electrical components etc that you dont want to shoot water into.
And wax it at least once a yr, probably better to do it twice, depends where you live. Keep the wax off the decals as wax will dry them out. Many on here use Aerospace 303 on decals...it's an awesome UV protector. You can also use the 303 on slides rubber seals to keep them soft and flexible and also protects them from harmful UV.
Ours pretty much gets washed after every outing, I wash the bug guts off the nose of it right away.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #3

Thanks WFD. I was just watching some guys on youtube using ZEP floor polish on their RV's. They sparkled, but I'm not sure about using this as a finish...Have you EVER heard of using floor polish on an RV instead of wax?

You see some wild and crazy things on the internet.....but they're all true, right?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
WFD

There was talk in the forums here in the past about that. Like you I would be skeptical about that, especially on a gelcoat finish if thats what you have. My thought is you can't go wrong with car wax or with my favourite...Meguiar's #50 RV/Marine wax, blue bottle, available in lots of places. Great product, long lasting, and pretty easy to apply....most Meguiar products are great for that matter. I use their car wash soap on the trailer and on my vehicles, and use their wax products on the vehicles. Big fan of their line of products.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We wash and wax twice a year. We use mequiars spray on wax. The trick is being able to reach the top of the cap to get a good wax on it and prevent oxidation
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
WFD

By the way...the Aerospace 303 mentioned in previous post also works great on tires as a UV protector. It's harder to find but Amazon has a pretty good price on it, especially if you buy it by the gallon.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #7
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
We wash and wax twice a year. We use mequiars spray on wax. The trick is being able to reach the top of the cap to get a good wax on it and prevent oxidation
I invested in a good 10ft stepladder for that exact reason, now I can reach all parts of the trailer, and it helps with reaching stuff on the house too!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yup, our ladder was 2 ft shy, we now have a taller ladder too.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

This Wildwood has what looks like siding, but I don't think it's aluminum...maybe it is. In any case, I use McGuires on my truck and on the wife's car. I already had her use her 'very used' Amazon Prime account and she ordered a gallon of the Aeorspace 303. Got a 10' step ladder already so getting a good coat on the front cap won't be too difficult. Maiden voyage is to Jordan Lake here in Raleigh - gonna do a shake down not too far from home.
Then it's up to the Smokies on Coumbus day weekend.
Thanks for all the advice. Have a great week.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #10
WFD

Did the Blue Ridge Parkway and Smoky Mtn National Park a couple years ago in the fall to catch fall colors...one of my most memorable trips! Beautiful scenery!!!
Old 09-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

warning thread hijack: you are not far from me... We are in mebane. Which CG at Jordan are you hitting? Where did you buy from? We bought at Plemmons in Raleigh.

Back on topic: We wash the fiver at the blue beacon in haw river since it is really close to us and then wax ourselves. For the type of siding you are talking about, we used to wash our tt like this ourselves. We would compound the black streaks off then wax. Then we learned the key is keeping the roof clean and us I g caulk to seal up the seams in the rain gutters. It cut way down on those pesky black streaks.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #12

I use a product from Streak Master called "wash and protect".It cuts road dirt,tree sap and just about anything,but does not damage any finishes or graphics.It leaves a polimer coating on that is more durable than most wax.I use it as directed,diluteing it 14 to 1 about every other week.It sheets water well and dirt/grime does not stick and in many cases can be hosed off between washes. I found this product when I was researching products for our horse trailers a few years ago.It can only be bought on line.I have tried most of the automotive and camper "Wash& Wax products and this stuff is far superior. No I do not work for Streak Master or sell thier products.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Yup, our ladder was 2 ft shy, we now have a taller ladder too.
I just put my 8 ft ladder in the truck and drive up to the front cap.Works for me.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #14

Asquared - not sure where at Lake Jordan - wifey made the reservation. Since the TT is new Im going to try to keep it clean. The suggestion of keeping the roof clean makes sense to me. I'm just going to use my Mcguires soap I use for the truck and the same with the wax. We will see how that goes.

Thanks for all the tips guys (and gals). Appreciate it and I appreciate the forum.

Tags
wax