Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

Water heater

We have a 2020 Wildwood 26dbud and the water hose is directly above the water heater on the back of the trailer. This caused the hose to melt down over the heater. Forest River did change the design after the fact. Does anyone eles have this problem? It is at the dealers to be fixed, but they don’t know how. Only used the camper one time.
Campawhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team

That doesn't sound like a problem a dealer would be able to fix.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #3

How do I get it fixed then. Forest River knows about the problem. I sent them pictures. They also
Paid to have camper delivered to the dealer. What should I do now?
Old 03-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #4

I think I would take however long of a piece of copper pipe that I needed, one 90, one male hose adapter and one female hose adapter and solder up an extension that would connect to the city connection of the camper and drop straight down past the water heater. Done. No dealer or mods required.

Bruce
Old 03-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #5

Great idea! Maybe I should tell the dealer that. Dealer is to work with Dean from the warranty Department but I don’t believe they are. Thanks for your suggestion,
Old 03-09-2020, 03:36 AM   #6

Did you come up with a solution yet?
Old 03-09-2020, 05:31 AM   #7

Get permission from FR and have a real plumber do it.

No need for copper pipe. Washing machine SS flex hose will work very well. Easy fix.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Get permission from FR and have a real plumber do it.

No need for copper pipe. Washing machine SS flex hose will work very well. Easy fix.
cavie, the stainless steel braided washing machine hoses are nothing more than thin rubber hoses covered by a braided stainless steel sheath. The heat will transfer through the stainless steel to the rubber hose inside which is much thinner than a standard rubber washing machine hose or garden hose.

EDIT/ADD: I will give you a real-life example of what I am talking about: you know those 3/4” stainless steel braided water heater connectors they sell at Home Depot and Lowe’s to make it easy for “anybody” to install a water heater? Well, I have lost count of how many of those I have had to replace due to the heat from the flue of a gas water heater causing the thin black rubber hose inside of the braided stainless steel sheath to deteriorate to the point where they become paper-thin, first sending tiny black specks of rubber throughout the entire hot side of the plumbing system, then finally developing pin holes causing water to spray through the stainless steel braiding. The closer the hose is to the flue, the faster this happens.

Bruce (real plumber)
Old 03-09-2020, 06:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campawhile View Post
We have a 2020 Wildwood 26dbud and the water hose is directly above the water heater on the back of the trailer. This caused the hose to melt down over the heater. Forest River did change the design after the fact. Does anyone eles have this problem? It is at the dealers to be fixed, but they don’t know how. Only used the camper one time.

The only real way to fix it is to move the water inlet over out of the way . weather they do that and fix where it was is debatable . everything else is just a band aid . you can like mentioned create a copper pipe extension of some sort but will still have to deal with the plastic inlet that could deteriorate over time
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
but will still have to deal with the plastic inlet that could deteriorate over time
Which it probably will due to the heat rising from the water heater beneath it.

Bruce
Old 03-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #11

It really shouldn't be that hard of a fix (granted I can not see the actual set up) I would think either a type of pipe over the water heater, insulation between the tubing and water heater, or reroute the water line around the water heater.
If FR has already changed the design, then the dealer can simply follow what they did to fix it, albeit that FR did it right.

Let us know how it works out.
Hawkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Which it probably will due to the heat rising from the water heater beneath it.

Bruce
Which is exactly why i said it will deteriorate over time . poor design from FR somebody wasn't thinking .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
cavie, the stainless steel braided washing machine hoses are nothing more than thin rubber hoses covered by a braided stainless steel sheath. The heat will transfer through the stainless steel to the rubber hose inside which is much thinner than a standard rubber washing machine hose or garden hose.

EDIT/ADD: I will give you a real-life example of what I am talking about: you know those 3/4” stainless steel braided water heater connectors they sell at Home Depot and Lowe’s to make it easy for “anybody” to install a water heater? Well, I have lost count of how many of those I have had to replace due to the heat from the flue of a gas water heater causing the thin black rubber hose inside of the braided stainless steel sheath to deteriorate to the point where they become paper-thin, first sending tiny black specks of rubber throughout the entire hot side of the plumbing system, then finally developing pin holes causing water to spray through the stainless steel braiding. The closer the hose is to the flue, the faster this happens.

Bruce (real plumber)
I though that is why they make plumbers hanger strap. Silly me.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #14

They are moving the water line. The dealer is working with the Forest River . New parts have been sent to dealer. I’m guessing they will just plug the old hole on the RV. I’m fine with a small cap as long as it is safe. Am I the only one that got a camper like this? You would of thought they would do a recall.

Tags
heater, water, water heater