Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
Brigitte

Humm, now this will make me look stupid but as they say: there are no stupid questions.
We are newbies and only went out twice on short trips using electric hw only.
We had our pdi back in september and don't remember much about this part.
Once the hw tank bypass switch is turned, after dewinterizing, it surely won't turn itself back on will it??
Also, how else do i check if there's water in the hw tank?
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

No valve will not turn by its self after dewinterizing. If in fact it was turned during dewinterizing. There a by pass valve lever that can be pulled to check for water at the top of the hw heater. See first post at pictures.
Valve is at extreme top of first pic
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #23

If you are on shore power and do not have water in the tank I am sorry to say that you have burnt out the electric element. The electric switch is in the on position.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
you can use them separate or together either is fine !

FYI just becuase you turn on the hot water at your sink does not mean that theres water in the tank .
hw heater by pass valves could be turned .

My neighbor last year took out her electric element on their new trailer because her tank was in bypass. She asked me after the fact that if she had water coming out of the hot water tap could she start her WH. I said no and told her that there was a switch at the tank she had to turn on first so she might be in luck. Their hired man had already turned on the switch, burnt out the element.

Do not turn on the main switch at the WH until you are certain the tank is full.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #25
Full time RV'er

Don't go anywhere near Dickinson, ND for anything. Service in this town for anything is rediculous
Bradrustan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #26

found the bypass

ah ha...so, i went to the prime time web site, in the customer service tab they have a list for all the manuals, found the section about water heater bypass overview. so now i knew what to look for , i then got in the trailer, started removing panels looking for the bypass, found it under the entertainment center
brazilianInOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

The valves are closed when they are "across" the pipe and "OPEN" when they are in line with the pipe.

In this photo the "bypass" valve is closed; the fill and "use" line valves are open; and so the heater is filled with water and ready for use.

If they were reversed; bypass open and the tank valves closed; then the heater would be in bypass and can be drained without draining your entire plumbing system.

Conversely, in this valve configuration, you could fill your water lines and NOT put water into the hot water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	11553  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #28

Help. Is there a bypass valve for this type water heater? If so, where is it? My TT is a 2005 26 foot Wildwood and I can't find it anywhere. All tanks are full of water but when I push the relief valve nothing happens. I have searched everywhere for any bypass valve with no luck.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchcraft View Post
Help. Is there a bypass valve for this type water heater? If so, where is it? My TT is a 2005 26 foot Wildwood and I can't find it anywhere. All tanks are full of water but when I push the relief valve nothing happens. I have searched everywhere for any bypass valve with no luck.
Which type would that be?
A photo of the opposite side (inside the camper; not outside) would be helpful. You might also find your valves.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #30
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieBoy View Post
My neighbor last year took out her electric element on their new trailer because her tank was in bypass. She asked me after the fact that if she had water coming out of the hot water tap could she start her WH. I said no and told her that there was a switch at the tank she had to turn on first so she might be in luck. Their hired man had already turned on the switch, burnt out the element.

Do not turn on the main switch at the WH until you are certain the tank is full.
As I stated before in an earlier poer on this subject, my WH and probabily many other WH's in RV's have some sort of pin inserted though the switch that turns on the electric element. If this pin (similar to a hairpin) is inserted though the switch then it must be removed before the electric element can be turned on. My WH does not a placard or decal next to the switch, but I would assume that when and if anyone saw the pin inserted, it would raise some sort of flag that something must be done before the switch is turned on.

If your WH does have a hole though the switch and you don't have a pin then make one and insert it thiugh the switch as a reminder. Perhaps some people need to make some sort of streamer and place it on the pin as a reminder (similar to some people hanging something next to their overhead antenna mechanaism as a reminder.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote