Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Full time RV'er

Water heater?

How do I light and use this water heater?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120331_155213.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	11516

Name:	ForumRunner_20120331_155237.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	11517

Name:	ForumRunner_20120331_155304.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	11518
Bradrustan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Full time RV'er

I dont want to mess it up. My salesman was less than helpful
Old 03-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #3

That looks like the same water heater as in my 2304s. The switch outside (on/off) is for when you're hooked up to 30Amp shore power. The switch inside is for using it with gas. If you're not connected to shore power, flip the switch inside to "on" and the red light will light up. When it goes out, the burner is lit (if it doesn't go out - I was told to turn it off and try again, haven't had a problem with it yet).

If you're connected to shore power, turn off the switch inside and turn on the switch outside. I was told not to use both (gas/electric) at the same time.
phrogpilot73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Make sure it is full of water by popping the pressure lever, make sure the propane is on, then just flip the switch on the control panel to ON and it should light. My new 12-8528RKWS was backfiring and I had to remove the gas tube & electric starter, realign to the Suburban specs and it works great. Lights the first snap of the electric starter.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #5

It looks just like my unit. Make sure your propane tank valve is open. Turn on the switch in your third picture. You should hear some clicking out by your water heater and the water heater should light in a few seconds. Your water will heat up the quickest way using gas. I let mine run about 20 minutes and then flip the rocker switch on in your picture #2. That will allow you to run the heater on electric if you are hooked up to shore power. Turn off the white switch (3rd picture) to save propane. If you aren't hooked up to shore power--you can use the gas as needed.
VERY IMPORTANT--before you do any of this--make sure your water heater has water in it. There is a pressure release valve at the top of the water heater with a deflection shield underneath the valve. Flip that valve lever just a little to make sure you have water in the tank. Otherwise you burn up the anode.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
I was told not to use both (gas/electric) at the same time.
It is my understanding that both can be used at the same time for quicker recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
VERY IMPORTANT--before you do any of this--make sure your water heater has water in it. There is a pressure release valve at the top of the water heater with a deflection shield underneath the valve. Flip that valve lever just a little to make sure you have water in the tank. Otherwise you burn up the anrod.
Agree, very important to have water in the tank, especially before flipping the electric switch on the outside of the unit. If no water in the tank, then the electric element will burn out in a matter of seconds.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradrustan View Post
I dont want to mess it up. My salesman was less than helpful
the RV tech should be doing the PDI/walkthrough, not the friggin' salesman!!
most RV salespersons know absolutely NOTHING about RVs.

as far as the WH, use your DSI switch(the white toggle switch inside, next to the red light) to run the WH on propane. you have to have battery power and the propane on, to light and run it.
if you have electric hookups, the black toggle switch outside, turns on the WH's electric heating element.

before doing either, make sure the WH is full of water by running the hot water faucets for a while.
and don't run the propane part of the WH until you've cleared the propane lines of any air. most of us run the stove top burners for a bit, first.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

X2 Mtnguy. We have used both for 25+ yrs with no ill effect. Does make for faster recovery and uses very little propane.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #9

In a unit that I had about 15 yrs ago it was strongly suggested not to run both - electric and LP- in my current unit I was infromed yes by all means run them both... as said before faster recovery and more efficient.

To make usre you have water in the water heater open the relief valve till water comes out...this will also assist in bleeding the air from the system - water system not LP.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
It is my understanding that both can be used at the same time for quicker recovery.
That's good to know. The RV tech that did our PDI, said not to use them both at the same time. I can't say that I have followed that advice 100%. If my wife and I are both trying to get ready in the morning at the same time, we'll flip on the gas after the first shower, then flip it off after.
phrogpilot73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
Full time RV'er

I have hot water... Yay! Thanks for all the help. I love this forum
Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
X2 Mtnguy. We have used both for 25+ yrs with no ill effect. Does make for faster recovery and uses very little propane.
X - whatever we are up to.

If using both, the propane will not come on to maintain temperature once it is hot. The electric element will keep the hot water "hot" without lighting the burner.

Once you start demanding hot water and cold water enters the system; the propane will light and assist the electric element to get the water back up to temperature. The result is hot water faster and longer.

They are two independent systems and will not conflict with each other.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf subsw06.pdf (2.23 MB, 38 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I replaced my thermostats-------------

I replaced both of my thermostats on my H/W tank from 120° to 140°. Now my hot water last a lot longer when taking a shower.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

If your wh is backfiring, you might want to re-align the spark according to the instructions. Our new 5ver wh was backfiring and after I re-aligned the spark probes according to these instructions and it works great now, lights on the first spark.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban Water Heater Manual.pdf (3.60 MB, 43 views)
Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #15

like stated before to reinerate so you do not mess up the heating element - just make sure the switch on the hot water heater is in the "off" postion before applying the electric to the camper and then make sure there is water in the water heater by purging the air out with the pressure relieve valve before turning that switch to the "on" position.
also like stated before you can use the propane and electric at the same time but I would turn the propane off once done for quicker recovery time of the hot water
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #16

gas and electricity at the same time ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
That's good to know. The RV tech that did our PDI, said not to use them both at the same time. I can't say that I have followed that advice 100%. If my wife and I are both trying to get ready in the morning at the same time, we'll flip on the gas after the first shower, then flip it off after.
interesting...the rv tech that did our PDI told us to use both at the same time . in our case we have two switches in the bathroom, one for the gas and one for the electricity. he also told us we don't have to open the case at all, but i still feel like i have to go there and check that there's water. i also opened the hot water faucet to make sure there was water coming out before turning the heater on.
brazilianInOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilianInOregon View Post
interesting...the rv tech that did our PDI told us to use both at the same time . in our case we have two switches in the bathroom, one for the gas and one for the electricity. he also told us we don't have to open the case at all, but i still feel like i have to go there and check that there's water. i also opened the hot water faucet to make sure there was water coming out before turning the heater on.
you can use them separate or together either is fine !

FYI just becuase you turn on the hot water at your sink does not mean that theres water in the tank .
hw heater by pass valves could be turned .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

[QUOTE=Bradrustan;175987]How do I light and use this water heater?

who's your dealer ? I want to make sure I don't go there or anywhere near there for service .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
FYI just because you turn on the hot water at your sink does not mean that there's water in the tank. HW heater by pass valves could be turned .
This is an extremely important point and needs to be reiterated.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
This is an extremely important point and needs to be reiterated.
wowww..i didn't know that...how can i check if the bypass valve is on????
brazilianInOregon is offline   Reply With Quote