Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #1

Water leaks?

So after we bought our trailer, we noticed a "sour" smell in one of the storage pods in the rear. No visible signs of water or damage. The smell eventually went away after a week or 2. But we have kept an eye on it every time it has rained and have never seen anything. The past 3 days we have had torrential rainfall. At some points we received more than an inch an hour. So lots of rain. I went to go check it today and sure enough. There was water on the floor in the pods. No water anywhere else except the flooring. Searched for over an hour and could not find where it came from. The only thing I could come up with is that it came in from the doors. They open from side to side and dont seem to close real tight against the weather stripping. Anyone else ever had an issue like that?

Now on to more leaking. I decided to check inside the unit and long story short, found wet carpet under one of my couches in the living room. The couch is in a slide. The carpet under the slide was dry, only the carpet "in" the slide was wet. And again, I could not find an access point. No other signs of water and no other wet spots. So.....what would be the most common places for leaks to occur? The trailer is only a month old and is going back to the dealership at the end of this month anyway for our 90 day punch list. But I would like to investigate this more so I can make sure it gets fixed. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #2

So I did some more checking today. There was still a large amount of water in the rear pods. I also went and got the unit to put it in my shop since we are supposed to have more rain, after we got there, I noticed a lot of water draining from the rear of the unit. Where the rear cap attaches, there seems to be a tarp like thing under there running under the underbelly. Its hard to explain. But that thing is completely full of water. I attached some pics. It looks like the water is running behind the wall and into this.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #3

The water coming out is really dirty and brown, which makes me think its coming in contact with wood. And this was a full 4 days since we have had any rain. I hope someone can chime in with their opinion.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #4

We had a small leak where the water traveled through the wall to the frame, by chance I was washing the trailer one day and just happened to see the stream of water or I may have never even knew it was happening until it was to late.

Make sure your roof is sealed above that area.

If there is plumbing in that area or near by, inspect that.

Any seams near by, check those too as they could be leaking.

Unfortunate this is one of those things that may be unique to your trailer and only you will be able to find it...

2016 Ford Lariat F250 Super Duty
2016 Heritage Glen 337BAR
mboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. The unit is actually at the dealer for warranty work including the leaks. Now I'm fighting with FR which is a whole other story.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #6

You have some serious water intrusion. On sides windows corners are the first suspects.
The water coming out of the rear wall is bad news. Most likely that rear wall will have to come off.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
You have some serious water intrusion. On sides windows corners are the first suspects.
The water coming out of the rear wall is bad news. Most likely that rear wall will have to come off.
Yeah, I think FR gave the dealer a whopping hour of labor to find the leak. I am still in talks with them to extend my factory warranty to cover water intrusion, but I have to wait until everything is fixed, and at this rate, that will be mid '19.

Tags
leak, water, water leak