Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #1

Where did you install battery cut-off switch?

Going to install the hardwired EMS system tomorrow.
Since the power we be off, I thought it might be a good time to put in a battery cut-off switch.
What type have you used and do you just cut the battery positive wire?
(after the battery is disconnected ).
Does it need to be in a weather protected space?
Should it be placed first in line after the battery?- before tongue jack power or etc.

Thanks for the help.
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDNC View Post
Going to install the hardwired EMS system tomorrow.
Since the power we be off, I thought it might be a good time to put in a battery cut-off switch.
What type have you used and do you just cut the battery positive wire?
(after the battery is disconnected ).
Does it need to be in a weather protected space?
Should it be placed first in line after the battery?- before tongue jack power or etc.

Thanks for the help.
When I revamped the Battery System in my TT I mounted a marine battery switch right between the two batteries on the tongue. The marine battery switch is enclosed in a patio electrical outlet box with cover to keep the elements off it -- pretty much. Remember, it's a marine switch that was designed to be installed on an outboard powered boat and was often wet as much as dry.

This switch is connected directly to each battery and can be used one at a time or both at once, depending on need.

This is how my batteries look right now. Was kind of a test run, so to speak. Now realize that I can drop the batteries back down to mostly below the frame by rotating cases 90 degrees and cutting off the rear existing battery rail. Will then install 4 pieces of angle iron from cross member just under front of trailer nose to remaining battery rail just behind LPG tanks. Enclosure for Victron Shunt and 100 amp catastrophic failure fuse (not installed yet in this picture), and battery switch will then be attached to front of trailer on diamond plate styles plastic panel.

The big thing to me was upgrading wire size. Rather than the #8 wire that the factory ran from battery to converter, I am upgrading to #4. So far the battery and switch wiring are #4 and later today, at least this weekend, the #4 wire will run from 100 amp fuse right after battery switch, all the way to the converter.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #3

I mounted right to the battery box
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #4

I mounted ours inside the battery compartment next to the batteries... this way it's under lock and key and easy to get to when I wish to disconnect the batteries..

2016 Ford Lariat F250 Super Duty
2016 Heritage Glen 337BAR
mboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboatwright View Post
I mounted ours inside the battery compartment next to the batteries... this way it's under lock and key and easy to get to when I wish to disconnect the batteries..
You have good security with it there but not so easy to get to in the event of an emergency. I'd prefer that my battery shut off be accessible without having to find a key when something starts smoking. Especially if larger wire has been installed to run inverter, etc.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
You have good security with it there but not so easy to get to in the event of an emergency. I'd prefer that my battery shut off be accessible without having to find a key when something starts smoking. Especially if larger wire has been installed to run inverter, etc.
I agree with you completely, I leave it unlocked when we're out glamping for easy access...

If some knuckle-head is going to try and steal my batteries & switch while we're out I'll just break out my other security tools of choice, Louisville Slugger or my G27 Gen4 (You will know what this is if you're a member of this crowd).

2016 Ford Lariat F250 Super Duty
2016 Heritage Glen 337BAR
mboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboatwright View Post
I agree with you completely, I leave it unlocked when we're out glamping for easy access...

If some knuckle-head is going to try and steal my batteries & switch while we're out I'll just break out my other security tools of choice, Louisville Slugger or my G27 Gen4 (You will know what this is if you're a member of this crowd).

I am and I do however I don't own any "G's". My preference starts with P and followed by 3 numbers but either one will get the job done.

As for stealing my batteries one will have to figure out how to deal with a Master "Python" locking cable for each. Would be quicker for them to steal the whole trailer.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #8

My switch is going to be inside. I don't want someone turning it on when I am in storage. In an emergency, I could kick in the door easily.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #9

I installed this on the outside of the battery box

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbilly View Post
I installed this on the outside of the battery box

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed a similar switch on mine but between the two batteries. Is the knob on yours removable as it is on mine? I kind of like that feature. No knob for anyone to fiddle with when away or sleeping. I just slip it back on when I want to shut off or switch batteries.

When these are used on boats it's a security backup to the ignition key.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #11

[QUOTE=TitanMike;1853960 Is the knob on yours removable as it is on mine? I kind of like that feature. [/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know bur I doubt it. I'll have to check, that would be handy.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, switch